EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any car audio experts out there? Being mildly (ok extremely) impulsive and impatient, I grabbed a cxl off the lot on December 31st. Really wish i had the bose stereo. The standard radio is my biggest complaint about the enclave so far. Does anybody know, can i go to Best Buy and purchase better speakers and have the factory speakers replaced? will it give me a significant change in the sound? I really dont want to change the radio itself. Thanks for your ideas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Don't be sorry you didn't getr the "Better sound thru marketing" Bose system!
Any good car audio store should be able to help you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
What is it that you don't like about the sound? Is it static, or tinny? Does XM sound OK? What about if you play a CD? If it sounds crappy all the time new speakers may offer some improvement. But if it's only with certain sources, it may be because of the stereo itself. Best Buy is great for most middle of the road speakers. And since you're wanting to keep the stock stereo any middle of the road speaker will work fine, you would only need a top end speaker if you were going to try and push a bunch of power through them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
marcmedic said:
Is it static, or tinny? Does XM sound OK? What about if you play a CD?
Good suggestions, but don't use XM, especially not the wretched sports & talk channels, to judge your audio system. Use a good FM stereo station or a CD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Can't help your question --but I have the Bose and can't say they are fabulous?
A friend of ours--in the Audio business hate Bose...he always says "No highs, no lows, must be Bose'!!! :-\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just returned for an hour visit to a local shop here in Kansas City. I am trying to by pass getting the answers i want from some high school kid just back from his lunch break at best buy. Unfortunately, the system this "specialist" shop tried to hook me up with was $2,900.00. He just stared when I burst out laughing. Lets face it the factory speakers are the cheapest possible things they can find made in china and they just dont give a deep rich bass and the treble just sounds way too tinty. He told me I would need an amp and a small subwoofer to really get the bass I wanted. It did sound good on the showroom floor. The only thing I like about my wifes mazda cx7 is the bose system. I am not sure how many different ones they make for the car manufacturers. I have always been told that the factory radios just dont produce enough power to run the after market nice speakers you could add. I will probably just learn to live with the crap they put in. HELP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
It seems to me it is a combination of both the radio unit and the speakers. I don't think you would gain much myself with just changing the speakers, watts are not everything, but you do need enough to push sound through the speakers. I do have the Bose system in mine and I too am disappointed enough to be looking at a change. I just want it to look factory and I don't know how good a job these places do incorporating the systems to make them look like OEM. I still say that my Infinity system in my Montero was the best stock audio system I have ever had. I can't recall what the head unit was...My Pilot system sucked and the subwoofer in the back vibrated like crazy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
It's important to remember that XM radio begins with a compressed audio signal. For those unfamiliar with the term, compression means that some of the data from the original digital encode is lost. Audio compression schemes are fairly refined by now and concentrate largely on removal of bits that would deal with parts of the audio spectrum which are not "useful" to the human ear. Still, the loss of data to the compression scheme will result in a difference that you can hear. IIRC, XM begins with audio data of about 384kbps. This would mean that a CD, is a much better media for evaluating your system, because the data rate on CD is 705,600 bits per second per channel(remember, it's stereo). The audio on the CD requires about 3.67 times the rate of the XM data in order to be accurate. If they are using MP3 encoding, then they can claim "near CD quality" at that bit rate, but there is a difference. At a minimum, XM will not have all the "sheen" and harmonics that are present in a CD. Therefore, the CD is the best platform for evaluating your audio system.

Certainly, better amplification and speakers will help, but they will not replace the audio lost in the compression scheme. After many years of buying aftermarket car audio, I finally decided to embrace what I had long known: A moving vehicle is not an ideal listening environment. This is still true of the Enclave, even though the quiet interior will make it much better than average.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
I agree with you Deacon_Blues, however, one of the things I was very excited about when I ordered my Enclave was the combination of the quiet ride and quiet tuning with the upgraded stereo to the Bose system. I had expectations that the combo would make for a great sound (with the limitations of it being a moving vehicle as you suggest) and my expectations are not met. It is more than just the sound, for me it is the location of the speakers or design of the speakers. For me I don't seem to be able to balance the sound as I would like. I find that I feel I have everything up front or then with the next push of the button, the sound is too much in the back... To me this implies poor speaker location for the design of the vehicle. This is frustrating when they advertise that they had sound engineers design the system specifically for the inside of thie vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Recently spent some time in a buddy's 300 Hemi. The factory system he had in that car sounded pretty awesome, as went screaming down the Kansas Turnpike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Have also commented numerous times re: static on "major NY stations"... Definitely receive a clearer signal w/XM and cd's are fine.

Can this be something dealership can correct. It seems the signal for local stations are not clear... I was told if there are many overhead wires or tall bldgs this would affect signal, however, I have had same problem on an open highway (and never had this problem b4 w/other cars)...

Has anyone else commented to dealership?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I finally, after two months, got around to putting a CD into my Ent #1. As I expected, the sound was much better than either XM of FM. Unfortunately, I found that there was nowhere near enough bass unless it was turned up all of the way - where it got "boomy." Typical for Bose systems and I should have known better, having had Bose car audio before. Is it worth the extra money? Probably not, as I could have ordered the base system and added aftermarket amps and speakers for less. But, that can be a hassle. It really depends on what you want to listen to. If XM or FM, there is little bass content anyway due to the compression deacon_blues talked about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I vaguely remember the original post I put on here after first getting my enclave. The standard radio and speakers suck, as many would agree. Laughed to myself today as I drove the 2004 Chevy Cavalier Base Model I had buy for my son, after he totaled his other car last week. The base stereo in this thing sounds better than the 2008 Enclave radio. Much better base and treble. Maybe someone could put out a group email, or walk down the hallway and ask somebody at Chevrolet where they are getting their speakers. Nice job Buick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
ksenclave said:
I vaguely remember the original post I put on here after first getting my enclave. The standard radio and speakers suck, as many would agree. Laughed to myself today as I drove the 2004 Chevy Cavalier Base Model I had buy for my son, after he totaled his other car last week. The base stereo in this thing sounds better than the 2008 Enclave radio. Much better base and treble. Maybe someone could put out a group email, or walk down the hallway and ask somebody at Chevrolet where they are getting their speakers. Nice job Buick.
Do not forget that Cavalier is a much smaller box to fill with sound...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
We have ent. Package 1 and I think it is a lot cleaner or clearer sound but not enough bass as my 02 S10, which has an awesome factory stereo! And has a ton of bass for having no sub..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I have called it "Blowse" for years and after listening to it in the 08 and the 09, I am not about to change my opinion now. Many other manufactureres upgraded systems (hk, etc) sound much better and the Mark Levinson in the Lexus is unbelievable. But this is my wife's daily driver and I am not about to tear into the interior of a $50,000 car to make it play Hannah Montana a little better. I will leave that kind of work for the toy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,855 Posts
I'm certainly "glad" to see this thread, because I've find myself woefully disappointed with the Bose system. Worse, the fact that fidelity is markedly better using disc-based material is of dubious benefit to me, as I seldom listen to CD's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
Guys...in this situation I would contact the experts at Crutchfield. If it can be done, they will not only know how to do it but what will fit exactly. You may pay a slight premium but their expertise is second to none. I have been buying from them since I was in High School over 25 years ago. You should be able to do the install yourself as they will send you very detailed instructions with pictures. Great company!

www.crutchfield.com

Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
deacon_blues said:
It's important to remember that XM radio begins with a compressed audio signal. For those unfamiliar with the term, compression means that some of the data from the original digital encode is lost. Audio compression schemes are fairly refined by now and concentrate largely on removal of bits that would deal with parts of the audio spectrum which are not "useful" to the human ear. Still, the loss of data to the compression scheme will result in a difference that you can hear. IIRC, XM begins with audio data of about 384kbps. This would mean that a CD, is a much better media for evaluating your system, because the data rate on CD is 705,600 bits per second per channel(remember, it's stereo). The audio on the CD requires about 3.67 times the rate of the XM data in order to be accurate. If they are using MP3 encoding, then they can claim "near CD quality" at that bit rate, but there is a difference. At a minimum, XM will not have all the "sheen" and harmonics that are present in a CD. Therefore, the CD is the best platform for evaluating your audio system.
XM and Sirius radio bandwith is much lower than that. The music channels vary, but the better ones have only about 35 to 40 kbps and the talk channels are down at about 15.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
GerryL said:
XM and Sirius radio bandwith is much lower than that. The music channels vary, but the better ones have only about 35 to 40 kbps and the talk channels are down at about 15.
Question.. how does "CD quality compare with MP3 quality?
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Top