EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Sorry for the detail here, I just wanted to explain as much as I can.

I have weird issue happening all of a sudden with my 2008 CXL with 65,000 miles. It's in great condition, well maintained.
The wave-plate was fixed about 20000 miles ago, and last month a new thermostat.

Three days ago, I had a flat, and the tow truck person jacked up from the rear, not the triangle area on the side of the car.

Yesterday , I started it in the afternoon, and the RPMs typically are about 1500, then come down in about 30 seconds to about 600-800. I pulled out of garage, it was raining very hard. I drove to supermarket and noticed that car wanted to accelerate on it's own. I also noticed the RPMS were higher, maybe 1000-1200, and I thought well maybe it's because I have the AC on (It's hot here in Scottsdale in the summer). I turned the A/C off, and the RPMS went up to 2000. I put in neutral and sounded like the engine was revving. I then shut the car off. Waited a minute, then restarted. All was normal after restarting. I went to market, drove home like normal. Today, the same thing: Start Enclave, wait for idle to reduce to 800, then drive. I got to a light, and noticed higher RPMs. Turned off the AC, put car in neutral RPMS still at 2000 and car wanted to accelerate. I tried pressing gas pedal down when in neutral to see if RPMs would go up then down, but they just stayed high. Pulled over, turned off engine, waited 30 seconds, restarted, and everyng is normal, no racing RPMS.

Does anyone have an idea what this might be? Otherwise the car is driving normally. I hooked up OBD Bluedriver, ran a scan, no codes, totally normal.

I recently bought a warranty plan, and still have about 120 miles to drive before it kicks in, which will typically take me about 3 weeks, since I don;'t drive much. But I'm hoping maybe this is something I can fix now. No rough sounds from engine, a/c works well, not sure what else to look for.

thank you,
Chris

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody has experienced a high idle on their enclave? It is intermittent. Today, I turn the key, start it up, it's at 1800, then comes down to 800 after a bit. I drove about 3 miles, seems like the car wants to accelerate on its own. Sometimes I think maybe it's related to the air condoner, because there is a subtle change in the idle RPMs when I have it on. But, today, I turned off the a/c, put in neutral and idle kept getting higher, to about 2000, so I just shut it off. Was hoping this is something I can maybe fix myself, but not sure where to look.

·
Registered
452 Posts
not in my 13 or my 20 sorry. gl

Reactions: chriscaldwell11

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello,

I have weird issue happening all of a sudden with my 2008 CXL with 65,000 miles. It's in great condition, well maintained.
The wave-plate was fixed about 20000 miles ago, and last month a new thermostat.

Three days ago, I had a flat, and the tow truck person jacked up from the rear, not the triangle area on the side of the car.

Yesterday , I started it in the afternoon, and the RPMs typically are about 1500, then come down in about 30 seconds to about 600-800. I pulled out of garage, it was raining very hard. I drove to supermarket and noticed that car wanted to accelerate on it's own. I also noticed the RPMS were higher, maybe 1000-1200, and I thought well maybe it's because I have the AC on (It's hot here in Scottsdale in the summer). I turned the A/C off, and the RPMS went up to 2000. I put in neutral and sounded like the engine was revving. I then shut the car off. Waited a minute, then restarted. All was normal after restarting. I went to market, drove home like normal. Today, the same thing: Start Enclave, wait for idle to reduce to 800, then drive. I got to a light, and noticed higher RPMs. Turned off the AC, put car in neutral RPMS still at 2000 and car wanted to accelerate. I tried pressing gas pedal down when in neutral to see if RPMs would go up then down, but they just stayed high. Pulled over, turned off engine, waited 30 seconds, restarted, and everyng is normal, no racing RPMS.

Does anyone have an idea what this might be? Otherwise the car is driving normally. I hooked up OBD Bluedriver, ran a scan, no codes, totally normal.

I recently bought a warranty plan, and still have about 120 miles to drive before it kicks in, which will typically take me about 3 weeks, since I don;'t drive much. But I'm hoping maybe this is something I can fix now. No rough sounds from engine, a/c works well, not sure what else to look for.

thank you,
Chris
We have not had this exact issue but we did have the fuel injectors fail that caused abnormal behavior. These can cause to computer to react to the fuel interruptions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your replies. This is really embarrassing. I cannot believe it.

I had to take my mom to an appointment. I told her that the engine was racing and it was so strange how it was intermittent. I said, I went on the Enclave forum and saw a post about a guy who had his floor mat over the gas pedal. My mom says, well, did you check to see if that's your issue? I said "I have these weather tech mats, and they custom fit that area and are clicked into position. She said, "check anyway." Face palm. There, over my gas pedal was part of the mat. It was hidden in the shadows, so it wasn't obvous until I got down close. I couldn't believe it. I hugged my mom, and said "you are genius." Car is purring like a happy kitten with normal RPMs ever since.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I had them in the front of my 2010 silverado. I took them out and installed husky matts. They also side around in my 2015 SS. Now I see that they are curling in my 2013 Enclave. They are not cheap but could be made a lot better for what they cost.

Reactions: chriscaldwell11

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

thank you,
Chris
YES...DISCONNECT THE GROUND STRAP(NEG. CABLE)...AND WAIT ABOUT 5 MINUTES AND RECONNECT THE GROUND STRAP...AND THE COMPUTER THAT HAS OVER-RIDE THIS PROBLEM AND SHOULD RESET ALL OF THE COMPUTER FUNCTIONS!!!
I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR FEED BACK CAUSE I OWN AN 08 (ENCLAVE AS WELL)...
MICHAEL ANDREW NIELL...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello there, thank you so much for this information, which I will print out for future reference. I have followed these steps and indeed all is good. The issue with the revving was actually caused by my own foolishness. A part of the floor mat was pressing down on the gas pedal. Since the floor mat is a vinyl Weatherech, it was practically invisible since the color matches the floor and everything is custom fit. It sorted of blended. Until I got right down there on the floor and looked, I didn't know what the issue was. But all is good now!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts