EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month or two ago I noticed a bumping noise coming from the from of my 2012 Enclave. It's only noticeable when I was on gravel roads or bumpy icey roads. I took it to my dealer and ask them to check to see what is causing the noise. They SAID they found some leaks on my struts and they were loose. They told me they had to replace the springs along with the struts.

I OK'ed the repairs and they had to order the parts. They next week the parts came in and I had the struts replaced which cost a little less then a thousand dollars. After diving the car about a week I noticed the noise in the front end was still there.

My question is, has anyone else had this front end bumping noise that hasn't been strut involved.

Roger

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
the noise could be the endlinks, the sway bar bushing, contral arm bushing rear, control arm bushing front.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the noise could be the endlinks, the sway bar bushing, contral arm bushing rear, control arm bushing front.
Thanks for the reply. This will give them something else to looks at the next time I have the car serviced.

Can you tell me, do the springs always need to be replaced when the struts are replaced?

Roger

·
Registered
344 Posts
No - you don't need to replace the springs. I just did my struts back in early January, and I used Bilstein B4 OEM struts. I replaced everything thing else (strut mount, bearing, rubber insulators, etc.) but kept the spring. My front sway bar bushings and end links were shot like my struts. And I mean SHOT. I haven't touched the control arm bushings but when I get new tires I will have them look at it and replace if they're worn.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do you tow? My '09 did and needed springs and struts at around 120k miles. For the front you can order a combo spring and strut package. If your struts are leaking I recommend replacing the struts and springs at the same time. The springs are made out of a pot metal that corrodes. The springs are plastic coated to prevent corrosion but the coating can be damaged by a rock or other road debris and that exposes the metal to corrosion and spring failure.

Pep boys did all my springs and struts for around $1,100. About half what the dealer charges.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts