EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just about decided on options on our Enclave. We're planning to order a CXL AWD in Goldmist with cashmere interior with: Driver Confidence package and Ent. #2 pckg.

The option I can't decide on is the Sunroof option.

Does anyone know if the DVD screen hangs down lower with the sunroof installed? I'm concerned about visibility out of the back window for backing up.

Also, if you don't have the sunroof option, do you regret not ordering it? ???

Thanks!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Great question. No one thinks of that. The headliner on the sunroof model is lowered to allow room for the sunroof contraption. The DVD player is enveloped by this. In fact the DVD player is completely different depending on whether you have a sunroof. The sunroof version appears to be thinner, but it really is partially up in the headliner.

Here is a post from over at Acadia forum with pictures of the two systems

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1898.msg24713#msg24713

(I got a lot of flack for saying the picture of the "non sunroof version" DVD player was rare. I still haven't seen a professional photo of one..)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thanks -- I just read through that whole thread and you may be surprised to hear this, but I'm still totally confused!!!

1) So, it sounds like there are actually two versions of the DVD depending on whether or not you have a sunroof?

2) Does the DVD actually hang down lower in the sunroof version?

3) Is this because the screen is larger in the sunroof version and smaller in the non-sunroof version?

4) Which do most people prefer?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I dont think the DVD hangs lower, take a look at my photos with the doors open, you can see the DVD and Sunroof.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Nam68 said:
I dont think the DVD hangs lower, take a look at my photos with the doors open, you can see the DVD and Sunroof.
Our DVD player (Ent. #2) looks pretty much the same as yours with sunroofs.
Since we had our Enclave (less than a week) , the Dvd screen has been down a majority of the time. I have backed up with the screen down and haven't had too much of a problem seeing out the back window. I also have our 2 car seats in the third row. I think the visiblity out of the back window isn't the greatest to begin with. I have yet tried to parallel park. And, will try to avoid it for a while!!!!

We did not go with the sunroofs and haven't even thought about it. We didn't want them anyhow.

·
Registered
358 Posts
4kids, I practiced parallel parking on my test drive. The back up sensor really threw me off b/c I swore I was much closer to the car than the indicators were saying. I stopped at two bars and really don't think I had 3 feet of space b/w us. However, it seemed a tad easier to maneuver vs a van but not as clear through the rearview window.

I personally do not like having the dvd players drop from the center b/c I think it does interfere with the rear view.

·
Registered
612 Posts
1) So, it sounds like there are actually two versions of the DVD depending on whether or not you have a sunroof?

Yes. Look at the details in the photos. The dark window (for the remote sensor?) is on the left side on one, and in the middle on the other. I would assume both systems have exactly the same specifications (size, brightness, etc). Both should work the same way.[/color]

I really wonder about this also. I offer $5 in Paypal dollars to anyone who will go grab their measuring tape and go measure the distance from the floor to the lower surface of the DVD screen in the down position on BOTH versions (with and without sunroof). This would be interesting.. I hope the values are exactly the same.[/color]

3) Is this because the screen is larger in the sunroof version and smaller in the non-sunroof version?

They must be the same size. The Buick brochure doesn't even mention the difference so I would assume they Must have identical specifications[/color]

Seems all the CXL models with Nav and DVD on the lots always come with a sunroof. I am trying to cut $1300 off my bottom line (and also wondering if all that sunlight coming in through the ceiling will make DVD viewing a bit harder -- even with the shade).[/color]

G

·
gbshuler said:

Yes. Look at the details in the photos. The dark window (for the remote sensor?) is on the left side on one, and in the middle on the other. I would assume both systems have exactly the same specifications (size, brightness, etc). Both should work the same way.[/color]

I really wonder about this also. I offer $5 in Paypal dollars to anyone who will go grab their measuring tape and go measure the distance from the floor to the lower surface of the DVD screen in the down position on BOTH versions (with and without sunroof). This would be interesting.. I hope the values are exactly the same.[/color]

They must be the same size. The Buick brochure doesn't even mention the difference so I would assume they Must have identical specifications[/color]

Seems all the CXL models with Nav and DVD on the lots always come with a sunroof. I am trying to cut $1300 off my bottom line (and also wondering if all that sunlight coming in through the ceiling will make DVD viewing a bit harder -- even with the shade).[/color]
LOL, it would cost me more money in gas to go to the dealer and measure.

·
Registered
612 Posts
How old are the viewers? If they are teens I would seriously consider skipping the DVD ceiling console and go for the headrest units. It's about the same cost and would allow them to control what they are watching independently. Of course you lose control in front and they have to use headphones (comes with wireless I think).

·
Registered
612 Posts
Rollin Thunder + Black Bandit said:
I am guessing you would have to go to a lot of dealers to find an in stock unit with No Sunroof AND DVD.

I'll go $10 ;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have wanted to get a car with a sunroof since I bought my first new car in 1984!!!! Every time I go to update my vehicles, my hubby has talked me out of the sunroof or the dealer didn't "have one in stock" - not that i liked my vehicles any less (but I was always jealous of others with sunroofs and wished I had gotten it), but I held my ground this time and ordered my new baby with sunroofs :sunny:. :thumb: I have heard from others with sunroofs or who've had sunroofs that they are overrated - BUT - when they have also heard that I have never had one, they said I should get one. And, many of these folks continue to order with sunroofs.

As far as visibility goes - if you can manage to drive a fully passengered mini or suv and negotiate around the person sitting right in your rearveiw mirror..... :help:....shouldn't really be a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
This is a completely personal decision. Some people love the sunroof and others never use them. I always buy cars with a sunroof because driving with the radio up and the sunroof open is a form of therapy for me. This time of year we have perfect sunroof weather so I use it everyday. :sunny:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rollin Thunder + Black Bandit said:
Skip the DVD and go with the Sunroofs!

Unless you've got toddlers -Spend time talking with your kids and enjoying the scenery. We have three and are going cold turkey without the DVD - But they're older and have ipods etc...

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't have a sunroof in my Enclave, and never had a vehicle with one and probably never will, but that's a personal choice. I will say that rear visibility in the Enclave leaves a little to be desired, even without DVD screens. However the Drivers Confidence package comes with the rear parking assist, and that coupled with the proper adjustment of the outside rear view mirrors, and a little practice, makes backing up and parallel parking quite easy. I think that's why they call it the Drivers Confidence package! ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I love my sunroof option but do not have DVD. Does Ent#2 come with back-up camera??. I highly recommend this option - makes backing up and viewing behind much easier

·
Registered
184 Posts
oldsconv said:
I love my sunroof option but do not have DVD. Does Ent#2 come with back-up camera??. I highly recommend this option - makes backing up and viewing behind much easier
We have #2 and it does not come with the back-up camera.
We tried to save money with our special order--but, wish we got it after the fact.

·
Registered
225 Posts
We have never ordered a sunroof, but one "came with" the Grand Prix we bought back in 99.

We use it occasionally to air out the car, for more daylight in the dark months, and occasionally for a fun ride in fall or spring. Otherwise, we leave it shut and usually shuttered. The direct sun is often unwelcome on my balding pate, and falling debris always is. An open roof is noisy at highway speed, and will defeat Enclave's "library quiet" features. You have to remember to shut the thing (and shutter it in summer) whenever you abandon the car. [A programmable auto-close would be nice - is there such a thing?] Driving with it open will reduce gas mileage. There is some lost headroom in my sport sedan. And, finally, Murphy decrees that the mechanism will fail someday - while the roof is open!

If you want it, get it. If it comes with a car you like and can afford, drive it off the lot today! But if we special order this car, we will revert to form and and skip the sunroof.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
This is my personal view of sunroofs.
I have never owned a car with a sunroof before the Enclave.
Now that I have the Enclave for 4 months, it has been opened some, more so now with the weather getting cooler. However, what I really like about the sunroofs is the light and open airy feeling it provides to the interior. I am 6ft+ tall and there is PLENTY of headroom. (That's the reason I don't have one in my LeSabre, because of the reduced headroom)
We purchased it from stock in June, and probably would not have ordered the sunroof. I would have regretted that decision.

·
Registered
208 Posts

I really wonder about this also. I offer $5 in Paypal dollars to anyone who will go grab their measuring tape and go measure the distance from the floor to the lower surface of the DVD screen in the down position on BOTH versions (with and without sunroof). This would be interesting.. I hope the values are exactly the same.
I started that Acadia thread mess! Sorry you had to read thru it but it was an important point to us. I measured in an Acadia and Outlook and the outcome was the DVD screen was about 2" LOWER with sunroofs. The headliner goes in up and down "waves" and is not consistently lower everywhere, just where it needs to be to accommodate said sunroof. It made enough of a difference that it blocked my view more with the sunroof than without. We test drove several times just to test this feature.

It just depends on what is acceptable to you. I see all kinds of people driving around Suburbans with Laptop size DVD screens hanging down and there is no way that is a safe way to drive to me, visability wise, but, if you are skilled with mirrors, I guess it is OK. To each there own.

The sunroof will make a difference, no matter what others say. It just depends on if it is enough difference to you. We took the time to try driving all the configurations to decide what was OK for us. And now we are getting an Odyssey anyway! Which, by the way, has a sunroof and a DVD and it does not in any way obstruct the rear view. But that is not why we are getting it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Mama2Girls said:
I started that Acadia thread mess! Sorry you had to read thru it but it was an important point to us. I measured in an Acadia and Outlook and the outcome was the DVD screen was about 2" LOWER with sunroofs. The headliner goes in up and down "waves" and is not consistently lower everywhere, just where it needs to be to accommodate said sunroof. It made enough of a difference that it blocked my view more with the sunroof than without. We test drove several times just to test this feature.

It just depends on what is acceptable to you. I see all kinds of people driving around Suburbans with Laptop size DVD screens hanging down and there is no way that is a safe way to drive to me, visability wise, but, if you are skilled with mirrors, I guess it is OK. To each there own.

The sunroof will make a difference, no matter what others say. It just depends on if it is enough difference to you. We took the time to try driving all the configurations to decide what was OK for us. And now we are getting an Odyssey anyway! Which, by the way, has a sunroof and a DVD and it does not in any way obstruct the rear view. But that is not why we are getting it.
Okay, I'll ask.........why? :angel:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts