EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I am basically looking for those who are seriously interested in supercharging their 3.6L (Enclave).
I am currently working with a company, (beginning stages) on design, engineering, etc a kit for our enclaves.
What we are looking at thus far....
M90 Supercharger New: $1850.00
Intake Manifold (Designed and Fabricated):$1800.00 - $2900.00 Pulleys (Designed and Machined):$650-$750 Intercooling : $1800.00-$2200.00 Air Intake(Designed and Fabricated): $550.00-$650.00 Brackets and Misc $750.00
No mods needed to OEM engine as far as internals....
6-8PSI ;D
GM ECU re-mapping... :-\
Possibly dif injectors ???
estimate power increase 30-40%.....with intercooler :blob:
prob 20% without.
Of course if we can get enough interested.....(sorta a group buy), pricing would significanly decrease.
I am also inquiring on fully documenting/video as much of everything as can be...design, machining, fab work, and install...
I will be looking to have this featured or atleast mentioned on some sort of enthusiast show, such as the powerblock etc.
This could also effect the cost becuase the PR the company would get would be great.
So who's interested?
;D

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
so at roughly $7850 you can get a boost.... and go faster I guess.
But unfortunately-- most people with E's just want to go quieter and smoothly.
Acadia/Traverse- will most likely have family/kids.

Unless they want some boost for towing (does this help with towing?)...

This is more for a Camaro.....

Im curious to see how many are actually interested.
Im very happy with the 2010's 3.6 output- and MPGs.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
LOL salesman trying to drum up business for us to overhaul our already expensive Enclaves to act more like a race car. No thanks I think you may be in the wrong arena. Unless you can increase the gas mileage to 50mpg I will emphatically say....pass.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Hey that is a great idea as well!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
at that cost it not a good buy..get the price halved and then it would make sense as this is not even installed
gonna need bigger injectors as questioned
I would use a stand alone ECU and a local tuner

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don't see why the supercharger would a bad thing for the car as a means of getting a more linear power band.

What I see as a problem is the base engine. It would appear that oil sludge is an issue, the components are somewhat suspect in certain areas, it would require quite a leap of faith not the think this might just over stress an already stressed engine.
Mercedes and Audi have gone the supercharged route and Nissan did that on some SUVs in the past. It is good power, might even help on gas mileage.

Just pay up and see what happens - i think the Enclave buyer is more conservative than most. Maybe younger but still aspiring to a pipe and slippers - except sailfish.

I think that these manufacturers did a bottom up build for this top end addition.

As for the post - if you don't ask you don't get.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
:facepalm: Hey I don't smoke a pipe and no fuzzy slippers on my feet. I just think that all that is a waste of money on the 3.6 engine. Now if my husband still had his 95 Camaro probably would be an idea to show him this information but since he doesn't, just the 350Z, I can't see it for any other vehicle except a sports car.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I like superchargers I recently sold my 1990 Ford T-bird SC 35th Anniversary model
I am very non conservative Buick owner myself having built many muscle and import tuning type show quality cars over the years
I am now looking for another import tuning project to build
HOWEVER knowing what it takes to build and mod a car the kit costs are outrageous unless they installed and tuned and doesn't even mention exhaust

·
Registered
466 Posts
Maybe younger but still aspiring to a pipe and slippers - except/b][/color] sailfish.

maybe should have said glasses :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
asgard said:
Maybe younger but still aspiring to a pipe and slippers - except/b][/color] sailfish.

yes I want to get to the pipe and slipper age..and walk around like Bing Cosby peddling orange juice

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
asgard said:

OHHH :facepalm: I misunderstood although I am at that "pipe and slipper" age and I already wear glasses. ;)

·
Registered
505 Posts
What he really meant was: "Maybe younger...except Sailfish." Clearly. >:D

·
Registered
273 Posts
Those are some crazy high one off estimates.

Don't even think about doing it without an intercooler unless you want a heat pump. I am also not sure the rest of the drive train is going to hold up well, especially the trans and shafts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's all good :thumb:
I love how people will read and post that they wouldn't do it , too much money blah blah blah...
all valid points, however, I have yet to see anyone accomplish anything like this yet....
All of you obviously had some sort of interest if you are scanning through aftermarket///supercharger etc.
Because this would all be custom, there is no pre-enginereed kit/nothing tested etc. of course it will be pricey...
I am not a salesman...Just an enclave owner who enjoys this as a hobby etc.
Of course I can just pick up the kids, let the wife drive it, go get a cayenne etc. (but anyone can do that)... :eyebrow:
I'm willing to bet that once this project is completed, there will be many enclave owners who will drool and want in. :angryfire:
I by no means have unlimited funds, this is not an overnight project, and will take a bit...
As far as exhausts, it is not needed to modify, however, I already have a better than OEM set-up.
Yes....It will be intercooled.
I'm not too concerned about the tranny/drivetrain...(not getting into redesigning the whole car here)...
Do I think it makes sense to spend $5000-$10000 to do this? ???of course not....makes more sense to buy soemthing else as a project....
Would I be taking a risk? of course...could stuff break? sure...too me....this whole process is part of the fun...and the big pay off stepping on the gas and enjoying a liitle more uhmp and knowing My hard work paid off.....We all obviously like the enclave... :-*It's a sharp looking, well designed machine. but let's face it..We all are here looking/searching/inquiring on upgrades/more/better/never 100% satisfied etc. This is the hobby/addiction..in some of us...
It was my hope to get others who are serious in doing this to possibly get involved...this is how that cost gets down!! :banghead:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wanted to share some basic background info too:
I am an engineer...background in Nuclear propulsion, (Navy years)..electrical and mechanical...
Currently work in the facilities world managing utilities, maintenance, sustainability and project management.
always been an auto enthusiast/hobby....Almost every vehicle I owned, I have did some sort of modification/upgrades too.
Ownwed a few Audi S4's
Subaru WRX, and an STI
Volvo s60R
Trucks, (which I was into power as well as lifts)
Camaro's
Into RC helicopters, which for those of you do not know requires constant tinkering/modifications/upgrades etc.
always had dirt bikes, quads, **** even modified some of my small power equipment..Like my riding lawnmower and chainsaws :eek:hno:
My point here is that I wanted to make it very clear that I am obviously not an auto engineer, I am not a salesman, however have been told I talk too much!! :D
But I do have knowledge and more importantly, the desire and passion for this....
What I have done to my Enclave thus far: 2008 BLK loaded.....purchased 30K miles for 21K
Tinted front windows to match rest of car:
Step bars
custom exhaust
custom intake
painted oem calipers, upgraded pads and upgraded rotors, stainless steel brakelines, master cylinder stiffing bracket
tranny and oil cooler, remote dual oil filters, remote external additional tranny fluid filter....
Stainless catch can, with pre-luber (had a kit laying around), a little fab work, some creative plumbing and now in use.
Optima Battery, larger size cables, home made grounding kit..
(not a big stereo guy) OEM system/factory NAV more than good enough for me, however, did add 1 rockford fos AMP and 10" sub, wired into Bose system..Just a bit more thump(again, had it laying around)...the sub mounts flush and nice in the rear lift panel....
rain guards
mud guards
HID lamp upgrades
Exterior is blk...painted lower cladding, and bumpers darker carbon etc.
stage II shift kit,
And of course in the process...........eaton base supercharger4-8psi , custon intercooler, carbon engine trim, stainless process piping, bigger injectors, ECU re-mapped, or stand alone ECU...TBD
having wheel spacers made to bump out the wheels flush with the fender edge
Strut supports front and rear/along with chassis cross supports
lowering springs..(nothing too drastic...Just 1", and level out.....
Stiffer swaybar links, upgraded swaybar bushings,

·
Registered
286 Posts
tranjo said:
...stage II shift kit...
This caught my eye since there have been complaints about the stock transmission. Would you mind starting another thread (don't need to hijack this one) and providing some details? I hate how loose the transmission is from a stand still.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
tranjo said:
I wanted to share some basic background info too:
I am an engineer...background in Nuclear propulsion, (Navy years)..electrical and mechanical...
Currently work in the facilities world managing utilities, maintenance, sustainability and project management.
always been an auto enthusiast/hobby....Almost every vehicle I owned, I have did some sort of modification/upgrades too.
Ownwed a few Audi S4's
Subaru WRX, and an STI
Volvo s60R
Trucks, (which I was into power as well as lifts)
Camaro's
Into RC helicopters, which for those of you do not know requires constant tinkering/modifications/upgrades etc.
always had dirt bikes, quads, **** even modified some of my small power equipment..Like my riding lawnmower and chainsaws :eek:hno:
My point here is that I wanted to make it very clear that I am obviously not an auto engineer, I am not a salesman, however have been told I talk too much!! :D
But I do have knowledge and more importantly, the desire and passion for this....
What I have done to my Enclave thus far: 2008 BLK loaded.....purchased 30K miles for 21K
Tinted front windows to match rest of car:
Step bars
custom exhaust
custom intake
painted oem calipers, upgraded pads and upgraded rotors, stainless steel brakelines, master cylinder stiffing bracket
tranny and oil cooler, remote dual oil filters, remote external additional tranny fluid filter....
Stainless catch can, with pre-luber (had a kit laying around), a little fab work, some creative plumbing and now in use.
Optima Battery, larger size cables, home made grounding kit..
(not a big stereo guy) OEM system/factory NAV more than good enough for me, however, did add 1 rockford fos AMP and 10" sub, wired into Bose system..Just a bit more thump(again, had it laying around)...the sub mounts flush and nice in the rear lift panel....
rain guards
mud guards
HID lamp upgrades
Exterior is blk...painted lower cladding, and bumpers darker carbon etc.
stage II shift kit,
And of course in the process...........eaton base supercharger4-8psi , custon intercooler, carbon engine trim, stainless process piping, bigger injectors, ECU re-mapped, or stand alone ECU...TBD
having wheel spacers made to bump out the wheels flush with the fender edge
Strut supports front and rear/along with chassis cross supports
lowering springs..(nothing too drastic...Just 1", and level out.....
Stiffer swaybar links, upgraded swaybar bushings,
tranjo, THAT should have been your FIRST post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I can tell you that to my knowledge there is no so called off the shelf kit for our trannies.
So when I quoted stage II kit, it's really just to catch the eyes of those who were familliar with the older box type hydraulic upgrades.
I had my tranny shop play around with the TCM programming during routine maintenance and my cooler install etc. There are so many adjustments in there, as far as pressures, timing etc.
I was just not happy with the tranny performance..Even in manual mode, just seemed like it could be much better.
I know the intention is maximum fuel economy, longjevity/reliability, and comfort///(Not sport) :eek:hno:
There is also an option to have diferent clutch packs installed, but would be something to consider if you were having your unit rebuilt etc.
You should reach out to your mechanic/local tranny shop for a quote etc. :beer:
I can also tell you that we had to play around with it a few times till everything seemed good. Guys I goto are very experienced in this area...
So my comfort level was ok...
This is a must upgrade in my book!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ya your right Falcon.....It should have been my first post :binky:
Oh well........it's all out there now!!!!
Thanks
:cheers:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
16 Participants
rbarrios
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing