EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

Suspension rattle?

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  dzs3fz 
#1 ·
My '09 recently developed a rattle when driving under 20mph and only over the smallest of bumps/cracks in the road. It has progressively gotten worse over the last few weeks despite multiple attempts to locate the noise. I see no fluid coming out of my front struts, strut bolts are tight, sway bar mounts appear tight, I checked ball joints for play and don't fee any slop. Any other areas to check?

#2 ·
I had this few months ago, somewhat rattling in bumpy roads. Local shop recommended to replace the rear struts.

Reactions: Todd Edge
#3 ·
Most likely your strut rod links, $25 per side, Hard to check when jacked up, because they get pulled tight under load. Once disconnected you can feel the play in them. Get GM replacements with the grease fittings. Don't get any others with grease fittings in wrong places or the ones that are not greasable. Very common rattle issue with this platform. It radiates ACROSS THE FRONT CROSSmember MAKING IT HArD TO LOCATE.

#4 ·
silvervettes - I watched a Youtube video about the links and went to the garage and crawled under the car while it was on the ground and twisted them with no noise. I even had my son bounce on the drivers seat and still no noise. I think I'll buy the GM versions with the zerk fittings and if that doesn't work, I'll just get some Monroe replacement strut assemblies and hope that is the issue. Thanks

#5 ·
When you replace your stabilizer bar links, be sure to torque them properly. I had mine replaced, but the rattle was still there. Talked to the service manager at the dealership that did the work and he put it up on the lift. Took the link apart and showed me the problem with the design of the replacement part. To ensure a good tight seat, the shaft on the link should be tapered, and it is not. So you are depending on the tightness of the bolt and nut to secure the part. If done properly, it does not make noise. I had this done about six months ago and posted on this forum about this. The car has been quiet since then.

#7 ·
Update to the issue:

I've put the truck on ramps and a lift with the suspension at full drop. For the life of me, I can't find the source of the rattle. It only does it at slow speeds(under 20 mph) and only on very slight cracks in the road. It has been getting worse over the last month but, I noticed after driving it for a few minutes, it stops. I went as far as to check the top bolts on the strut and the motor mounts and can't find any play. We had a warm weekend and noticed that it makes absolutely no noise on warm days. Wouldn't this indicate it is a bushing failure or no? I ordered some new Monroe quick struts last week as a hail mary before I realized that temperature seems to completely resolve the issue. Thanks - Todd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.