EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that synthetic is better, and more $$$$. but my dad still uses the conventional so i need to convence him to use synthetic once we get an enclave. so i need some info to pursuade him to spend the extra $$.

and also would using synthetic make the engine quieter, smoother, more powerfull....?

G

·
tell him he will save money in the long run with less oil changes

also tell him that it gives you more power and fuel economy

·
Registered
17 Posts
A Corvette comes with Mobil 1. That should be convincing enough. They have a test engine run for the equivalent of 600,000 miles with virtually no wear. My 94 Explorer (160K) and 1000 Impala (60K) do not use a drop of oil. (Of course, others who take great care of their cars may have good results with conventional oil.)

When my Enclave finally shows up, I will change the oil to Mobil 1 after about 1000 miles and keep using it. I do keep my vehicles for a long time. The Enclave will replace both of the above and I have a 50th Anniversary Corvette convertible.

G

·
that was the number one thing in the manual and told by our dealer when getting our C6 that it should only have mobile 1 FULLY sinthetic oil put in it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just got my first oil change. I had only 2900 miles on the Enclave, and my oil life monitor said I had 70% left! However, I decided to change it anyway and put in Mobil 1 synthetic since synthetics are made for longer mileage. At the rate the oil life monitor reads, I'll only have to change oil every 6-7000 miles. Seems crazy to me, but OK!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
NOLA Saints said:
At the rate the oil life monitor reads, I'll only have to change oil every 6-7000 miles. Seems crazy to me, but OK!
I have always been a change it every 3000 mile person until the last couple of years. I have been using strictly synthetic for about the last 5 years. I've done a lot of reading on synthetic and am convinced it is good for at least 10k miles between changes (but you should still change your filter at around 5k). The oil life monitor on my Avalanche comes on somewhere between 6500 miles and 8000 miles. I do my own changes so the way I look at it, I can do a synthetic change for about what it would cost to let a quick-change shop or dealership do it.

I don't trade vehicles very often so good maintenance is important. We drove a 1992 Grand Caravan for 14 years and put over 200k miles on it with no issues. It still didn't use any oil and ran great when we got rid of it; it was the body and hardware that were starting to give up.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Are there are reported down sides to synthetic beyond being more expensive to purchase?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
bsox said:
Are there are reported down sides to synthetic beyond being more expensive to purchase?
Once I was told by an "old time mechanic" that putting Syn oil in a vehicle with more than 50,000 miles for the FIRST time ever, may cause many oil, gasket leaks. Seems the Syn oil is so slippery that it gets passed spaces the regular oil could not. Never verified..........thank God!!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Once I was told by an "old time mechanic" that putting Syn oil in a vehicle with more than 50,000 miles for the FIRST time ever, may cause many oil, gasket leaks. Seems the Syn oil is so slippery that it gets passed spaces the regular oil could not. Never verified..........thank God!!
In my experience, this is a hold-back to earlier days. Today's engines have much better gaskets and seals and this should not ordinarily be an issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Synthetic Oil comes in Cadillac CTS 3.6l engine

I received the new 2008 Cadillac CTS brochure last night. Many of the drive train components are shared with the Buick Enclave. The brochure has a lot of pictures and descriptions of the engine, transmission and all wheel drive system not shown in the Lambda brochures.

The Cadillac CTS comes with Mobile 1 5W30. There are 2 versions of the 3.6l high feature engine available. The standard is the same as the Lambdas. The high performance option is a 304HP direct injection version.

I am not sure what "direct injection" means exactly. All these engines have fuel injection.

G

·
Re: Synthetic Oil comes in Cadillac CTS 3.6l engine

bradend said:
I received the new 2008 Cadillac CTS brochure last night. Many of the drive train components are shared with the Buick Enclave. The brochure has a lot of pictures and descriptions of the engine, transmission and all wheel drive system not shown in the Lambda brochures.

The Cadillac CTS comes with Mobile 1 5W30. There are 2 versions of the 3.6l high feature engine available. The standard is the same as the Lambdas. The high performance option is a 304HP direct injection version.

I am not sure what "direct injection" means exactly. All these engines have fuel injection.
check out this forum for your answer
http://www.trentongasprices.com/Forum_MSG.aspx?master=1&category=1175&topic=277351&page_no=8

·
Registered
13 Posts
Happy New Year from The Great White North.

My Enclave is coming up on 5,000Klm or 3,000 miles. I want to change the oil soon to synthetic.

I see that some of you have gone to Mobile1 5W30 as Chevy has done in the Corvette.

What about alternate brands like Castrol, Quaker State and Amsoil.

Do they have what it takes to keep the Enclave protected for 5 to 10,000 miles between changes?

I will still change my oil regardless of the brand every 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
those are some cool pictures of your enclave in the snow!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks Gmoney_2010

We got hit on Dec 16th and again last night.
Last year at this time we were still golfing
and the ski resorts were laying off. No such
luck this year.

·
Registered
413 Posts
fireman said:

My Enclave is coming up on 5,000Klm or 3,000 miles. I want to change the oil soon to synthetic.

I see that some of you have gone to Mobile1 5W30 as Chevy has done in the Corvette.

Do they have what it takes to keep the Enclave protected for 5 to 10,000 miles between changes?

Happy New Year from the great green Southeast Central Florida!!

From what I've seen over the years Royal Purple is considered the absolute best synthetic followed by Mobil 1, Amsoil and Red Line (not necessarily in that order).
The difference in protection between the four is probably negligible. Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filters are available at Advanced Auto Parts while the other three for the most part have to be purchased on line.
IMHO any name brand 100 % synthetic would provide better protection than the best conventional motor oil. (some will no doubt disagree)
I changed the oil in my Enclave at about 1,200 miles to Mobil 1 5W30 with a Mobile 1 oil filter (part #M1-113). Although changing Synthetic every 5000 miles is overkill I agree with you and will change mine at that interval: cheap protection the way I look at it.

Just MHO of course

·
Registered
758 Posts
fireman said:

I see that some of you have gone to Mobil 1 5W30 as Chevy has done in the Corvette.

And you base your decision on what data?

I would trust all the brand name synthetics if they make a GM6094M spec 5W30 oil.

Independent oil analysis by www.tdiclub.com members (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=136238) of changing it more often than manufacturer recommendation have shown INCREASED wear elements with oil testing. The theory is that it takes a few hundred miles for the additives in the oil to gain maximum effectiveness. These same people also found that synthetic holds its lubricating properties well after the specified manufacturer intervals, sometimes more than 50% more.

So use synthetic 5W30 GM6094M spec and change it at the specified interval. Don't waste your money or time.

TM

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
fireman said:
Thanks Gmoney_2010

We got hit on Dec 16th and again last night.
Last year at this time we were still golfing
and the ski resorts were laying off. No such
luck this year.
Hey Algore.....hear that? :D

Bet your Enclave "ate" that snow for lunch!! Can't wait for a real good/deep white-out to try mine in!

The data in the study quoted above was done for Diesel engines only. It's interesting for sure, but I don't know it's total relevance to gas motors. Also, the oil used (Elf Evolution) did not meet GM Full Synthetic demands (no, Enclave does not require it) which would have been met by their "Excellium Full Tech"........that's what they reco on all Caddys & Vetts, requiring FULL synthetic, by GM. Would have liked to seen that one on a GAS engine, as I use FULL syntec oil also, in the Enclave. The guy doing it worked hard.

One great idea that jumped out at me, and I will do it as it's too easy not to, is to put a magnet on the oil drain plug to catch iron laden, metal filings! May have to make something as I do not know if anyone offers it for our Enclaves. I had done this in the past, with other GM's, but kinda forgot it as I now have a service shop do my oil changes. If it's an iron oil drain plug (haven't tested it yet) I have a "rare Earth" magnet, the size/thickness of 2 dimes, that could sit on the tip of the plug, I bet. They have incredible strength. They're made by G.R.I. Will check out.

re: Syntec, it's long been common knowledge that it far surpasses dino oil, both in lubricity (that's where the slight improvement in MPG comes from!) and heat resistance. But we must remember 2 other vital elements: the oil filter itself and the time factor!

In my case, it looks like we will go about 3-5K miles a year on my Enclave, with much stop & go, on harmful short trips. I would dare not wait for 2 whole years to change the oil at about about 7500 miles! Condensation and other combustion gas waste products seep into oil over time and harm the metals/seals. Likewise I wouldn't trust an oil filter to last, without breakdown/diminished capacity, for more than a year.

So I use Syntec only (any major brand is really quite adequate today, but GM recos Mobile 1 on my last Caddy Northstar V-8, the Vett and now the V-6 CTS for '08). I am curious when the Enclave's computer will say to change it. At maybe 7500 miles (2 years from now??) or at a more realistic 3-4K miles, 12 mos from now.

Either way, it's about 7500 miles/1 year.........whatever comes first, for me. No sooner. :thumb:

Anybody have 12K miles or more, using Syntec, that can offer insights on the computer's recos??

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yeah, gassers are different, but diesels are harder on oil in some ways.

Yeah, change it at least every year, along with the filter, no matter how many miles, especially with hard usage and short trips. Water accumulates and additives go away with time too. Acids creep in. Still, synthetic is reportedly better for these conditions, as marine engines and antique car buffs all require it for storage to prevent rust.

I like the Syntec and its 5W30 meets GM6094M specs, so you should be good to go with a new filter too.

Some computers do look at the time between changes as well as the miles. Don't know if GM's does that, but the manual says it keeps track of number of starts and stops of the motor, revs, that sort of thing. I don't believe GM has any sensor to measure the quality of the oil.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Tin Man said:
Some computers do look at the time between changes as well as the miles. Don't know if GM's does that, but the manual says it keeps track of number of starts and stops of the motor, revs, that sort of thing. I don't believe GM has any sensor to measure the quality of the oil.
I am under this impression also. I think you hit the nail on the head.

·
Registered
177 Posts
There's PLENTY to be said for Conventional vs. Synthetic oils, in both directions. I'm a Mechanical Engineer and it's STILL merky water. Some years ago I found a great document on the internet regarding oil and Harley Davidsons. It tests many different kinds and brands of oil from fully synthetic to fully conventional and explains many of the specifics about the oil and additives. I'm very impressed with it's ease of reading (although, remember I'm an engineer so I'm used to dry, technical reading) and great detail.

http://www.xlrator.com/personal/oil/Oil%20and%20the%20Harley%20Davidson%20Motorcycle.pdf

1 - 20 of 30 Posts