EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

721 - 740 of 770 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Re: Synthetic Oil

I would say that the expensive higher end engine oils are worth the higher cost only if the drain intervals can be increased at least 50% and if the car is to be kept for many years. The increased drain interval will cover some of the added cost per quart of high end oil, while the better wear and tear that it affords will facilitate long-term trouble-minimized ownership. Plus, the fuel economy will likely be improved a smidgen with the better oil.

In contrast, if someone leases or plans to trade in their cars frequently, there is no real rationale to invest in better oil, in my estimation.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

GoldEnclave said:
I would say that the expensive higher end engine oils are worth the higher cost only if the drain intervals can be increased at least 50% and if the car is to be kept for many years. The increased drain interval will cover some of the added cost per quart of high end oil, while the better wear and tear that it affords will facilitate long-term trouble-minimized ownership. Plus, the fuel economy will likely be improved a smidgen with the better oil.

In contrast, if someone leases or plans to trade in their cars frequently, there is no real rationale to invest in better oil, in my estimation.
Does higher cost = better in your mind?

·
Registered
4,433 Posts

gostate said:
I've been using Mobil One for the last ten years. My neighbor is a engineer for Exxon Mobil and he get's it for me at his cost which is $1.50 a quart. I use full synthetic in my riding lawn mower and other lawn equipment, for me it's cheaper than conventional motor oil.
. Interesting that would be $7.50 for a 5 qt jug. So Shell Oil really didn't give away the house when Pennzoil Platinum was $5.17 per 5 qt jug with rebate. Still a good deal imho...

On the riding mower I'd use Dino juice even if it cost a little more (we have to be talking about $1?). Synth is approved today, but was not b4. Imho nothing has changed, it's all politics....

Edit, on second thought, nah, synth is fine, why spend more, even if it's $1.....5w30 synth has a broader range than grandpa’s sae 30 from when I was a kid :)

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts

JerseyDevil said:
Does higher cost = better in your mind?
No. Better means better. But, better usually comes at a higher price. The UOAs posted on this site suggest that PU and P are "better" than many less expensive engine oils.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts

I would be buying up several of those....

no meijers out here.

·
Registered
261 Posts

OK Rb have a question for you. I used Mobil1 in the Equinox and changed it every 6 months regardless of miles driven usually just over 3k mles, now we're leasing do we keep using the full syn and keep changing it every 6 months or use a syn blend oil and go by the OLM. We're not sure if we will be buying the Enclave after the lease is up. This is our first month into the lease and our first time leasing.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts

At 3000 miles... even Dino oil would be good for your routine at 6 month intervals.

But being that it requires Dexos compliant oil--- I would not run Dino for warranty purposes.

Full Synthetic is fine--- though probably overkill for 3000 miles.

Wal Mart carries the 5 qt jug of Dexos- Semi Synthetic Pennzoil... It may come down to which oil you can buy on sale..... Full syn or Semi Syn.

I dont know where you live--- but if youre in a part of the country where it gets very cold---
I would probably just go with Full synthetic, change right before winter starts--- and drive for 1 yr--- or 0% OLM whichever comes 1st... since its a lease.

(the manual actually says to change oil with 0% or 1 yr).

(I do 5000 miles with Dino on my Traverse).

·
Registered
261 Posts

We live in the SE, have a few days of below freezing but not many and not for an extended amount of time, gets frigging hot though, car is normally garage keot. We get 4 free oil changes from the dealer so the cost of full syn oil would just be the difference in the cost of the oil. It will be a Dexos oil no matter which one I use.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts

SCBEARS FAN said:
We live in the SE, have a few days of below freezing but not many and not for an extended amount of time, gets frigging hot though, car is normally garage keot. We get 4 free oil changes from the dealer so the cost of full syn oil would just be the difference in the cost of the oil. It will be a Dexos oil no matter which one I use.
Have you decided which engine oil you will use?

·
Registered
261 Posts

Just turned 1500 miles, will be making an appointment for an oil change within the next few weeks. If I can't get in this week it will have to be in 2 weeks, we're going to have the grand kids week after next while my son and his wife takes his Corvette back to WA. I'll be going with either Mobil1 or Penzoil Plat full syn depending on what my dealership use.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts

Both are very well respected and widely available full synthetic oils. I would guess, based on forum feedback over the last several years, that Pennzoil Platinum will do better in your Enclave's engine than Mobil 1. Pennzoil Ultra is even better.

·
Registered
261 Posts

I used Mobil1 full syn in my Nox which had basically the same engine that the Enclave has and Mobil1 syn blend in my 98 Malibu that had 180,000 before I sold it. We don't drive a lot so I change the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts

I am sure that your Enclave's engine will be well protected with the use of Mobil 1, so my comments about Pennzoil synthetics should be taken within the context of diminishing returns. The 2009 Enclaves had different timing chains that seemed to be best treated by Pennzoil synthetics, so the 2014 should be fine either way.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts

For about $0.75 more per quart, PU does have a significantly higher concentration of engine cleaning additives than PP. Both, however, are claimed to outclean Mobil 1 and other premium mainstream engine oil brands.

·
Registered
261 Posts

Just had the first oil change done almost 2 months and 1,582 miles OLM was 77%. Changed to Mobil1 full syn. Total cost $23.04

·
Registered
261 Posts

And I get 3 more free oil changes for the almost the next 2 years, which should be 1 every 6 - 7 months.

721 - 740 of 770 Posts
About this Discussion
769 Replies
94 Participants
redvett
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing