EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

741 - 760 of 770 Posts

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Re: Synthetic Oil

The problem is verifying that a GM dealer actually used synth (c'mon now the delta creates an incentive to cheat). I caught them using Dexos1 (accidentally attached the internal ppwk to my receipt) and ever since then, I DIY. DIY currently is < $10 with Pennzoil Platinum (got the 5 qt. jugs for $5.xx after rebate, PF63 is $3.xx).

·
Registered
261 Posts

John, I guess there isn't a way to verify that they used full syn unless you actually see them put it in, but I have no reason to beleive that they wouldn't put it in. That's where some trust in the dealership comes into play. You had a bad experience with your dealer doesn't mean that all dealerships are bad or dishonest.

As far as being a DIYer, I use walker for my disability and am not able to do the oil changes or even check the tire air pressure due to it. Even before I became disbled I had no interest in car maint., in fact none of the group of guys I grew up with were into cars that much oter than to drive them and try and pickup girls in the 60s.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts

The way I see it is humans need to be kept in check by processes that make sense. For example, when you watch reality tv car shows, you realize they are doing a good job because it's a tv show. Nobody would want to be a crook on tv. But one thing that's apparent is that most projects are overdue, and work is backed-up. So what has to happen? Corners must be cut.

When you have a scenario where a vehicle DOES NOT REQUIRE synthetic motor oil, an opportunity is presented when a customer comes in and requests it. A dealership can put dexos1 in, charge the customer for synthetic, and the customer is not even any worse off. His vehicle does not require synthetic and is in no way harmed by dexos1. And, based on the money that came in, margin is increased.

Where it's different is with a BMW or VW dealership. Each and every vehicle came from the factory with synthetic. The dealerships are full of synth, not dino juice. They would have to go out of their way to start using dino juice, and cars would be harmed because the factory spec'd synth.

The car business is very dishonest. Many people choose to look the other way so as to avoid disappointment. imho we have to be diligent in this modern world. The dealer and GM didn't care one bit when I brought the sleight of hand to their attn. Pulling the car back in and refilling the crankcase was their answer. No thank you, don't touch my vehcle anymore!

·
Registered
261 Posts

john 070 said:
The car business is very dishonest. Many people choose to look the other way so as to avoid disappointment. imho we have to be diligent in this modern world. The dealer and GM didn't care one bit when I brought the sleight of hand to their attn. Pulling the car back in and refilling the crankcase was their answer. No thank you, don't touch my vehcle anymore!
I agree that this business segment has it's fair share crooked/dishonest dealers but there are some good ones out there also. This is the first time I've used this dealership for service and for right now they seem to be OK. The sales dept to me is a big indication of the dealership's overall philosophy if they try to get as much as they can and give you as little possible and play the games it tells me that the service dept is most likely the same way. If my previous dealership (used them for the last 3 yrs) would honor Buick's 2 year maint policy I would have taken it them for service but they only sell Chevys and cant do warranty on Buicks but they can do normal maint or non warranty stuff on them.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Bring your own Synthetic to the dealership, and ask them for your containers back...

Also this way you only have to pay the conventional oil change fee, usually $29.95...

Just clarify with the service writer upfront, and write "return empty bottles", "use clients' synthetic oil" on the work order...

I've done this twice, and minimal issues...

·
Registered
261 Posts

DVelasco68 said:
Bring your own Synthetic to the dealership, and ask them for your containers back...

Also this way you only have to pay the conventional oil change fee, usually $29.95...

Just clarify with the service writer upfront, and write "return empty bottles", "use clients' synthetic oil" on the work order...

I've done this twice, and minimal issues...
From my earlier post, this oil change cost me $24.03, now do I know if they used full syn no but at this time I don't have any reason to doubt that they didn't . Am I being naive, who knows but for now I'll trust them.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts

WPNSO said:
They ran out of Amsoil at the store, so I bought Penzoil Platinum for the first time. Pretty good price for a full synthetic (compared to Amsoil).
Pennzoil Platinum is not quite Amsoil. Neither is Pennzoil Ultra. But, for the conditions and frequency of oil changes in our Enclaves, it will do just fine; for quite a bit less money. :thumb:

·
Registered
57 Posts

john 070 said:
The problem is verifying that a GM dealer actually used synth (c'mon now the delta creates an incentive to cheat). I caught them using Dexos1 (accidentally attached the internal ppwk to my receipt) and ever since then, I DIY. DIY currently is < $10 with Pennzoil Platinum (got the 5 qt. jugs for $5.xx after rebate, PF63 is $3.xx).
Don't understand what you meant - as far as I know, dexos1 is a specification, not a brand of oil. Mobile1, for example, is dexos1 oil.

If someone would cheat you, it would be those quick-lube franchise places. I don't think a big dealership's service department would cheat you out synthetic oil -they would make just as minuscule profit as conventional oil, minus the risk of fraud. They make plenty of money on labor charges for serious repairs, why risk it for $30?

Even more, they have no problem losing money on small maintenance, just so they get your business for the big stuff, where they actually would make the serious money. For example, for my Cadillac STS V8, which took ungodly amount of oil, my local GM dealer charged only $70 for Mobile1 change, whereas any other place was charging over $100 for the same thing.

·
Registered
956 Posts

Got a great deal on Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic at my local Meijer store because it appears there was a duplicate sale going on for Labor Day. First sale was for $22.19 for the 5+qt size that the sale ended on 9/7. The second sale was for a $10 mail in rebate which started on 9/7. Since the computer at checkout charged me $22.19/jug and no mail in coupon was generated, the store manager gave me a $20 gift card for (2) jugs. Bottom line…$12.19 for the 5+qt size.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts

I'm done with PP and Shell Oil after those last 9 jugs with the $20 rebates. Unless they've started using foil seals to prevent the rip off of the codes and swindling of its contents... :thumb:

Mobil 1 for me from here on. I was influenced by the forum and bitog, but let's get real, Mobil 1 = factory fill at AMG, Corvette, Porsche, it's all propaganda like Top Tier blah blah blah....

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-mobil-advantage/automakers-trust-mobil-1/why-car-manufacturers-recommend-mobil-1-motor-oil

·
Registered
956 Posts

john 070 said:
I'm done with PP and Shell Oil after those last 9 jugs with the $20 rebates. Unless they've started using foil seals to prevent the rip off of the codes and swindling of its contents... :thumb:

Mobil 1 for me from here on. I was influenced by the forum and bitog, but let's get real, Mobil 1 = factory fill at AMG, Corvette, Porsche, it's all propaganda like Top Tier blah blah blah....

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-mobil-advantage/automakers-trust-mobil-1/why-car-manufacturers-recommend-mobil-1-motor-oil
Last time Meijer had the $10 rebate from Shell, all that was required was the printed coupon at checkout and the original sale receipt.

741 - 760 of 770 Posts
About this Discussion
769 Replies
94 Participants
redvett
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing