EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

781 - 800 of 803 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Add my "Cherry-Ot" to the mix of sunroof drains not working properly. I have water all the way down the passenger side A pillar to a soaked mess on the front passenger floor carpeting. :angryfire: I guess I will be taking a cable thru it to see if I can clear the clog and taking the panels off to inspect the tubing and connectors.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
cfedor, I am sorry that your Enclave fell victim to the infamous water intrusion problem. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
cfedor said:
Add my "Cherry-Ot" to the mix of sunroof drains not working properly. I have water all the way down the passenger side A pillar to a soaked mess on the front passenger floor carpeting. :angryfire: I guess I will be taking a cable thru it to see if I can clear the clog and taking the panels off to inspect the tubing and connectors.
Sorry to hear about your Enclave is now suffering from the water leak problem.

Have you ever done a test to see if the drain tubes work? Normally every few months, I pour a lot of water down the front drains through the sunroof opening into the drain holes to keep them clean. A lot of water is released just behind the front wheels. I also clean the surrounding sunroof drainage basin twice a year as it too gets fairly dirty.

I'm guessing, rather than the drainage tube being blocked, it could also be that your drainage tube may have disconnected, check this post out from "sbayou" out http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=3411.40.

One thing I can mention about the newer Enclaves after the 2008 model, GM changed the connections to the sunroof drains. For the 2008 Enclave, there is about 6 functioning drains in total (4 utilized by the front sunroof opening: 2 for the front, 2 for the rear) and another 2 for the rear sunroof glass. As far as I am aware, by the 2009 Enclave, GM sealed the rear sunroof glass (the 2 drains for the rear sunroof glass are, by that point useless). The 2 drains for the rear sunroof glass were deleted in subsequent model years in the sunroof frame, when GM changed from the powered sunshade to a manual. GM also made the drain tube connections a little more robust, by and adding a zip-tie to the drain tube connection and a blocker to ensure a completely snug fit, it is **** hard to pull it out.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Thanks. I have been thoroughly scouring the forum and Google for how to's etc. Don't think I am going to tackle it for some time. I too, think it is a matter of a disconnected tube connector between the headlight er an th drain tray in the corner of where all that comes together at the top of the A pillar. Will confirm it in a couple weeks. Bummer, more fix it time for me, who already does fixing all the time.....

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
5 Days of rain. At the begining of it the front passenger side drain tube leaked. During the other days it didn't. As of this afternoon's rains, it's leaking again. Time to make time to take it apart and cable clean it. :angryfire:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
One hour. took the A pillar trim off, took the visor mirror mount off, pulled the roof liner down to inspect the drain tube rubber connection to the drain pan of the sunroof tray. Looked fine to me. Pushed the tubing into the rubber connector- it did seem to push into the rubber connector about a 1/4", I put zip strips cinched down HARD on both sides of the rubber connector(the larger side on the tray discharge, and the smaller one around the drain tube). Flushed the drain hole from inside above the sunroof and got a steady stream out of the bottom. Put it all back together. We'll see if that does the trick with all this rain we are getting tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
cfedor said:
One hour. took the A pillar trim off, took the visor mirror mount off, pulled the roof liner down to inspect the drain tube rubber connection to the drain pan of the sunroof tray. Looked fine to me. Pushed the tubing into the rubber connector- it did seem to push into the rubber connector about a 1/4", I put zip strips cinched down HARD on both sides of the rubber connector(the larger side on the tray discharge, and the smaller one around the drain tube). Flushed the drain hole from inside above the sunroof and got a steady stream out of the bottom. Put it all back together. We'll see if that does the trick with all this rain we are getting tomorrow.
I wish you luck. That was one of a couple reasons I traded in the 07 Outlook (my swimming pool on 4 wheels) for the Enclave with NO sunroofs. Kept having issues with the leaking sunroof after having it in the shop multiple times. With my allergies, especially to mold, having a vehicle with water issues and the huge possibility of mold, not a good idea.

Cfedor, had the whole roof liner replaced one time after a lot of water leaks had stained it, all covered under warranty.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Wouldn't you know it ??? Just as when you realize that you need new wipers while it IS raining and you do the work IN the rain to change them. So as to my repair of the sunroof drain goes..... it didn't rain today so I could get a FULL test of the [email protected] thing... :happy:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Glad to report that with the travels over the Easter weekend, with all the rain we encountered and sitting outside in downpours, NO LEAKs. So my repair of zip stripping of the sunroof drain lines and tube to the sunroof drain tray has done it's job.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
cfedor said:
Glad to report that with the travels over the Easter weekend, with all the rain we encountered and sitting outside in downpours, NO LEAKs. So my repair of zip stripping of the sunroof drain lines and tube to the sunroof drain tray has done it's job.
That is awesome news!

My area had thunderstorms and high winds last night, so I was a little concerned and my new Audi's panaramic sunroof. Though I haven't driven it today, my wife and daughter drove it a little while ago. I'm assuming that it's watertight since I didn't get any report about the car. I always get a little concerned about water intrusion in a brand new car during its first rain storm or car wash.

Update: I drove the Q3 to get its first tank of gas since picking up the car over a week ago, so I had a chance to inspect the watertightness of the sunroof. It was perfectly fine. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Well I now have another leak, but not from the sunroof or 2nd row moonroof areas. We had some pretty hard downpours here today, and in the past couple weeks off and on - when I first noticed it. It is in the far back roof liner above the cargo area. Drips are coming in thru the furthest rear interior light housing, leaking all over the cargo area behind the 3rd row. I think that it is coming thru the lift gate hinge area where the wire pass thru is in the center with the rubber seal. I tried to silcone seal it, but my entire tube of clear silicone was dried up. So no luck. Will pick up some fresh silicone and attempt to pull that rubber seal out, put a bead of sealant around it and reseat it. :banghead:

·
Registered
35 Posts
i had this quite a while back, and the dealer i got it from fixed it for me. i was able to diagnose it myself before i brought it to the dealer, and is really not that hard to fix or diangose.

the actual sunroof leak will be one of a couple things. first will be whether the drain tube is connected to the tray and the second most common will be the tube being clogged. The same test can tell you the answer. peek you head out through the sunroof and look in the tray. is there water sitting there on the side that is leaking? if there is, the drainage tube is clogged and will probably be at the connection of the tray or at the opposite end at the firewall. This is what my issue was. the the convex design of the tray, water will collect. it will not go to the opposite side of the tray and will spill over the top of the tray which then will go down the a-pillars and down behind all the trim to the floor.

If the drainage tube is disconnected, it will obviously not hold water in the tray and just go down the a-pillar.

mine was clogged which just had water collecting in the tray until it filled and flowed over the top. my clog was down at the other end of teh drainage tube which went through the firewall. i tried using a snake to remove the clog, but because of the + at the end, its hard to get the snake through it, plus the end of it is a 90 degree bend, so it is easier to simply pull it to clean it out. This part is quite easy to get to. the forward most part of the dashboard, which is an aluminum piece can be pulled off without tools. under there, you will see clear as day, the drainage tube. this is just a rubber grommet, and if you have small enough hand, you will be able to get to it, and pull it. prepare for the water to come out of the tube, so have a way for it to drain without going all over.

also, the sunroofs are basically designed to the point that they know it will leak. my sunroof didnt seem to stop any water at the sunroof leak, but after they did the fix, i dont see any water coming in anymore and the sunroof drains are almost there just in case. so, perhaps there was an alignment issue with the sunroof issue that fixed itself after they removed and reinstalled the sunroof. you can test this yourself with a cup of water.

any windshield or moonroof leaks are a different monster. i took the preventative route with the moonroof and sealed it with silicon. any moonroof leaks might show up a bit different and migh drip somewhere toward the rear of the vehicle. these leaks are harder to find because you will need to remove the headliner to actually see it. This same preventative fix can be done for the windsheild, if you are concerned with it.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I have given it some thought as to sealing the edges around the rear moonroof. I might as well go ahead and do it and see what, if any results come from it. Hopefully no rear leaks...

·
Registered
35 Posts
cfedor said:
I have given it some thought as to sealing the edges around the rear moonroof. I might as well go ahead and do it and see what, if any results come from it. Hopefully no rear leaks...
get the large caulking gun size of the silicon. dont bother with the small ones as you will need many of them to complete it. the gap between the body and the window is really deep and will use quite a large amount of silicon.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
melonhead said:
get the large caulking gun size of the silicon. dont bother with the small ones as you will need many of them to complete it. the gap between the body and the window is really deep and will use quite a large amount of silicon.
I buy that stuff in bulk by the cases. I think I have enough. 2 cases of the small tube should do the trick.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've still got the leak on the drivers side and I was looking at the tray to see where water exits it into the tubes. On the drivers side I can see the drain hole but there's what appears to be a broken area behind that hole. Is that supposed to be there? Or is that where water from the rear of the sunroof comes forward to the drain. The passenger side only has the one drain hole.

I'm wondering if I should plug up the rear 'broken' area but I don't want to do that if water is supposed to come through that.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've still got the leak on the drivers side and I was looking at the tray to see where water exits it into the tubes. On the drivers side I can see the drain hole but there's what appears to be a broken area behind that hole. Is that supposed to be there? Or is that where water from the rear of the sunroof comes forward to the drain. The passenger side only has the one drain hole.

I'm wondering if I should plug up the rear 'broken' area but I don't want to do that if water is supposed to come through that.
I believe you are correct. I tried to snake a piece of wire back and I believe their is a passage that way towards the rear. However, if channel is indeed broken "mine does not look like yours" that is probably a leak area. Can you see that channel on the other side when you pop/pull down the headliner? If you see a hole that's where you need to patch. Just don't plug hole going towards rear. I guess someone could have broken it by getting too aggressive with a metal snake. Good luck, looks like might be a pain to get at and fix securely.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I believe you are correct. I tried to snake a piece of wire back and I believe their is a passage that way towards the rear. However, if channel is indeed broken "mine does not look like yours" that is probably a leak area. Can you see that channel on the other side when you pop/pull down the headliner? If you see a hole that's where you need to patch. Just don't plug hole going towards rear. I guess someone could have broken it by getting too aggressive with a metal snake. Good luck, looks like might be a pain to get at and fix securely.
I could not see a break looking at the outside of the frame, so I've come to believe it is the passage that water flows forward through. I poured a pitcher of water along the side rail of the frame and it trickled through that area to get to the front drain hole. On the passenger side of the car, water that was poured onto the side rail trickled from above toward the drain hole on that side.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I could not see a break looking at the outside of the frame, so I've come to believe it is the passage that water flows forward through. I poured a pitcher of water along the side rail of the frame and it trickled through that area to get to the front drain hole. On the passenger side of the car, water that was poured onto the side rail trickled from above toward the drain hole on that side.
I had to blow out the drivers side with compressed air from the fitting in the a pillar. I snaked it once previously successfully, but not the second time. Once it was blown clear water pours out under the car from the cowl area. I just poured water in the channel both sides to check and it ran ou,t and then I knew it was good. Try to avoid pine trees and leaves/pollen where you park. That stuff seems to clog it up. I had water dripping down because of the clog on the parking brake switch causing it to illuminate the dash light. Had to dry it all out.........

781 - 800 of 803 Posts