EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...newcomer here, but experienced forum user. We are getting ready to take delivery on a 2013 Leather Edition with the standard wheels. I'd like to upgrade to the P6A Chrome Clad aluminum (19" x 7.5" x 9 spoke) which is the standard wheel for the Premium Edition. Here's the deal:

I know a guy with a full set of new take-off P6A wheels. They are stamped as part # 9598454 and are a fit for the 2011 Enclaves. GM is listing this same P6A wheel as part # 9598455 for the '13 Enclave. The wheels images are identical. Bolt pattern is same. Dimensions are same. The wheels appear totally identical. Does anyone have any knowledge as to fitment, or unknown differences in these 2 part numbers? I'm ready to buy the 54s (heck of a good deal) but checking to find out if there are issues I'm not aware of.

Thanks...Great Forum!

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
I would assume that part numbers change between years, regardless of them being the same part. Might want to do some more checking to be sure, but all normal reasoning seems to say that if they work for a 2011, they will work for a 2013 since the major components of the vehicles should be the same, regardless of the updated look and features of the 2013. But again, don't take my word for it....I would do some more checking to make sure there wasn't a change with anything on the wheel that's not visible, and/or if they are the same weight and same material. Only reason I say that is, I know it was mentioned somewhere that the 2013's were redesigned to be even quieter so perhaps there was something done with the wheels and tires....just a guess. :shrug:

:welcome: to our forum.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Note that "Chrome Clad aluminum" means there's a plastic chrome cover glued to the aluminum wheel. Some around here have been having issues with the wheels cracking. You'd be better off with the full aluminum wheel. Also, if you have a silver-painted aluminum wheel, you can always repair it if you scrape it. I know because the dealership took out a chunk of my wheel (hit a wrench on it) while removing them to fix the steering rack. It wasn't that bad, but I was able to fix it and touch it up with the correct silver color. Once you scrape a chrome wheel you can't easily touch it up.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
That is a very good point regarding the clad wheels. I prefer the painted aluminum or machined aluminum rims cosmetically, anyway, but their durability is another selling point, in my opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
gig229 said:
Note that "Chrome Clad aluminum" means there's a plastic chrome cover glued to the aluminum wheel. Some around here have been having issues with the wheels cracking. You'd be better off with the full aluminum wheel. Also, if you have a silver-painted aluminum wheel, you can always repair it if you scrape it. I know because the dealership took out a chunk of my wheel (hit a wrench on it) while removing them to fix the steering rack. It wasn't that bad, but I was able to fix it and touch it up with the correct silver color. Once you scrape a chrome wheel you can't easily touch it up.
Although it is easy to describe them as wheel covers, they are not. Wheels covers are made in low cost countries from inexpensive plastic and can be easily removed – ever see a car running around without them after hitting a pothole? Chrome-clad wheels have an expensive engineered high-impact composite permanently bonded to the wheel to allow a high quality chrome finish to be applied

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The 08's have real chrome plated aluminum wheels. A few manufacturers use PVD chrome wheels, which is basically a cheaper method to chrome plate.

I am not a big fan of the "chrome clad" wheels; they charge a premium price for what is basically a wheel cover that is glued onto a rough-cast aluminum wheel. In my opinion it's all about making more money with what most people think is a chrome plated wheel.

It's the same analogy as with leather seats. They started out as all leather, then the bean counters got involved with pushing for more profit by cheapening the product and continuing to charge the same premium price, so they are now "leather seating surfaces". The only real leather is where your butt and back touches the seat. And it's really vinyl-coated leather, which is supposed to assist with longevity of the leather and resistance to staining.

·
Registered
4 Posts
BadAV said:
The 08's have real chrome plated aluminum wheels. A few manufacturers use PVD chrome wheels, which is basically a cheaper method to chrome plate.
Actually, they are quite a bit more expensive that traditional chrome-plated wheels when you add up the extra engineering, equipment and tooling necessary to produce them. Proof of the cost can be as simple as looking at which companies use them - Mercedes = yes, Audi = yes, Hyundai = No, Kia = No.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I like my 19" 7 spokes just fine.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have Permachromes (PVD) on my Lincoln. Trust me, they are way better than traditional Chrome

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
cfedor said:
I like my 19" 7 spokes just fine.
Those on my '09 may have been the single nicest wheel on any vehicle I've ever owned......properly cared-for, they absolutely gleamed.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
oemwheelguy said:
Actually, they are quite a bit more expensive that traditional chrome-plated wheels when you add up the extra engineering, equipment and tooling necessary to produce them. Proof of the cost can be as simple as looking at which companies use them - Mercedes = yes, Audi = yes, Hyundai = No, Kia = No.
Hey wheelguy, isn't chrome-cladding considered to be (from a manufacturing standpoint) a "greener" method of mirror-finishing steel than traditional chroming ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
wvuguy said:
Hey wheelguy, isn't chrome-cladding considered to be (from a manufacturing standpoint) a "greener" method of mirror-finishing steel than traditional chroming ??
Thanks but the process uses copper, nickle and chrome the exact same as traditional chroming. You could say it is "greener" because it uses less chrome (there is no chrome on the backside of the wheel). But the real green question is based on the manufacturing plant. The company that made them had such an expensive and sophisticated chroming operation that the water leaving the plant was actually cleaner than the water going in. That was green.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wheel guy talks out his arse! You can't "dip" composite plastic in boiling chemical!(I work in a foundry). They are Chrome Painted and then covered with a transparent protective film. THAT'S why there's no "chrome" on the back! But, it doesn't really matter. It's just as expensive as actual chrome anyway.
Some of the old(Original Cladding) was over a Ceramic Based Composite that COULD be heated to high temps. They only used those for 2-3 years, in the early 2000's. Hope someone with actual knowledge could help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts