EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and is just like expected. Very much like a Malibu-esque Lambda, which is a good thing.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/06/chicago-2008-2009-chevy-traverse-makes-it-a-lambda-superfecta/

http://chevytraverseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=30

As for the Lambda-tuned DI 3.6L:

The 3.6L engine's direct-injection technology helps produce power similar to many V-8 engines and uses regular unleaded gasoline. The Traverse is rated at an estimated 286 horsepower (213 kW)* and 255 lb.-ft. of torque (345 Nm)* with dual exhaust (281 hp/210 kW* and 253 lb.-ft./343 Nm* with single exhaust) - but delivers better-than-expected fuel economy. Ninety percent of the engine's peak torque is available from approximately 2,500 rpm to more than 6,000 rpm.

With direct injection, fuel is sprayed directly into the engine cylinder, where it is mixed with air. As the fuel vaporizes in the cylinder, the air and fuel mixture is cooled. This enables the use of a higher compression ratio in the combustion chamber, which improves engine performance and efficiency. Less fuel is required to produce the equivalent horsepower - particularly at normal cruising speeds - of a conventional, port-injection system. Also, the use of unique pistons with the direct-injection system helps reduce cold-start emissions by 25 percent.

Advanced, high-pressure fuel injectors are used to reduce noise and comprise only one of numerous underhood features designed to minimize or eliminate noise, vibration and harshness. Other elements include an acoustically tuned engine cover and intake manifold and center-feed fuel lines. Also, a new engine mount system reduces vibration at idle.

The 3.6L engine is mated to the Hydra-Matic 6T75 six-speed automatic transmission, an advanced transmission with clutch-to-clutch shift operation for front- and all-wheel-drive vehicles. The transmission's six-gear configuration allows for a "steep" 4.48:1 first gear, which helps deliver exceptional launch feel, and a 0.74:1 overdrive sixth gear - the "tall" overdrive gear lowers rpm at high speeds, reducing noise and vibration. Also, the 6T75 offers automatic grade braking, shift stabilization and precise shift control.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I don't know if the engine is detuned for the Traverse, but wasn't the talk of the DI engine for the Enclave being greater than 300 HP? A bump of 11 HP and 4 ft-lbs of torque is rather underwelming in my opinion, unless they come at lower rpms.

The full posting does mention heated and cooled seats as well as real time XM traffic which would be nice.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zman said:
I don't know if the engine is detuned for the Traverse, but wasn't the talk of the DI engine for the Enclave being greater than 300 HP? A bump of 11 HP and 4 ft-lbs of torque is rather underwelming in my opinion, unless they come at lower rpms.

The full posting does mention heated and cooled seats as well as real time XM traffic which would be nice.
Those features like heated & cooled seats, XM traffic, etc. were already discussed here as being "Lambda wide", for '09.

With the Direct Injection engine, it is rated at 304 horsepower in the CTS and STS, BUT, the Lambdas are a VERY different class of vehicles with a lot more weight, different transmission, etc. What is likely is that, although the numbers "on paper" don't seem like much of an improvement, the real difference is in seat of the pants kick, with the power band more specifically tuned for heavy SUV duty.

In other worlds, rather than be ideally set up for high speed, high RPM sedan racing, it's been tuned more to put as much of the grunt as possible down lower and not need to be winded out as much, to get the boost.

You're probably not the only one who will comment on those numbers "Boo...where's my 300 horses", etc., but that's what to keep in mind--the duty the engine is set up for.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Could also be the situation like the Outlook having the 270/275 version of the 3.6 last year. Would make alot of sense for the Acadia and Enclave to get a few more ponies than the Chevy version???

Also - the 'integrated stack/switchgear' on the Traverse look alot like the Enclave stack with a more integrated 'cover'

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
goochman said:
Could also be the situation like the Outlook having the 270/275 version of the 3.6 last year. Would make alot of sense for the Acadia and Enclave to get a few more ponies than the Chevy version???

Also - the 'integrated stack/switchgear' on the Traverse look alot like the Enclave stack with a more integrated 'cover'
Not likely. As it states, there's both a single and dual exhaust version of this one as is (like the Outlook has had since intro), and there's no other engine differences in the Lambdas now and there won't be with this either. Again, it's very likely one of those things where seat of the pants is much more realistic than numbers on paper, for sure.

On the center stack...yes...I'm wondering too, now. I now don't think this was something that did come out here, because the pieces look like they always have. So, likely, that plan didn't happen yet.

·
Registered
164 Posts
They are advertising a 500 mile cruising range. It either has a much larger fuel tank or gets a lot better mileage than the Enclave.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
womps said:
They are advertising a 500 mile cruising range. It either has a much larger fuel tank or gets a lot better mileage than the Enclave.
That may just be theoretical. Isn't the FWD rated for 24 MPG highway? I don't recall the size of the gas tank but that would only equate to a 21 gallon tank if you looked at the straight math involved.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Hey great, anyone know if there is a second row consule, LED keyfob, or PAL... :thumb:

·
Registered
83 Posts
zman said:
That may just be theoretical. Isn't the FWD rated for 24 MPG highway? I don't recall the size of the gas tank but that would only equate to a 21 gallon tank if you looked at the straight math involved.
22 gallon tank and yes, 24 MPG. however; Ive yet to see anything over 22 MPG

·
Registered
717 Posts
bsox said:
Too funny, what are we suppose to make of that.
Maybe its ok if the Chevy version squeaks and is a bit flimsy and the Buick version not :p

G

·
Keep in mind, the main goals for the DI engine was not necessarily for HP or Torque. Those are more like added bonuses. The real reason for the switch was lower emissions and slightly better fuel economy. The fact that we're getting any more HP than before should be looked at positively. DI also has a much flatter torque curve, so even though the top may not be much higher, you'll have much more of that torque available in a much wider RPM range.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm ambivalent about this car. In one respect, it offers some indication of what might be happening for the '09 Enclave with the possibility of bluetooth, second row console, etc. My skeptical side wonders if 4 Lambdas will widen the price range with a more extensive price increase for the flagship Enclave. In other words, will the DI engine and other improvements lead to a much greater price, since GM can say take it or leave it with 3 other Lambdas available. Any ideas?

BB

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
blurrybill said:
I'm ambivalent about this car. In one respect, it offers some indication of what might be happening for the '09 Enclave with the possibility of bluetooth, second row console, etc. My skeptical side wonders if 4 Lambdas will widen the price range with a more extensive price increase for the flagship Enclave. In other words, will the DI engine and other improvements lead to a much greater price, since GM can say take it or leave it with 3 other Lambdas available. Any ideas?

BB
In that same regard, it seems to me to dilute the cars too much. I mean they have a really hot item with the Enclave and Acadia I never understand why it has to be transferred across the GM label. It seems almost like they are competing against themselves in a way. I know they are trying to catch more market share blah blah blah, but it takes something away to me, making each brand stand out less than if they were known for their own. For example the Saturn Sky(e) and the Pontiac solstice...A Corvette is a chevy pure and simple, no dilution, pure branding of the label.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
caddycruiser and others are right in saying the power range is different. Our Enclave hits max torque at 3200 rpm. Now the Chevy DFI (and presumably '09 Enclave?) has max torque at 2500 RPM. BIG difference.

Guess the super-tuned manifolds on the Caddy CTS, yielding 304 HP are not coming our way. But I bet you DO feel the diff with the same (both engines hit 250 ft/lbs.) torque, coming at you, at a lot lower RPM range!

Gotta test drive it! Must check weight also. Enclave is heavy!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Smokin SRX said:
caddycruiser and others are right in saying the power range is different. Our Enclave hits max torque at 3200 rpm. Now the Chevy DFI (and presumably '09 Enclave?) has max torque at 2500 RPM. BIG difference.

Guess the super-tuned manifolds on the Caddy CTS, yielding 304 HP are not coming our way. But I bet you DO feel the diff with the same (both engines hit 250 ft/lbs.) torque, coming at you, at a lot lower RPM range!

Gotta test drive it! Must check weight also. Enclave is heavy!
Bingo :thumb:

·
Registered
55 Posts
On the Traverse section of the Chevy website, it mentions that availability of a rearview camera within the mirror standard in the 2LT trim level (no nav).

Any chance that the Enclave might see this option?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seeing that bluetooth is now available makes me want to know whether I can purchase the Traverse head unit separately and then put it into my Enclave - which would add one of the main features that I wish it had.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone know what the towing capacity of the Traverse will be? Thanx!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts