EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After beating up my knees in 60 years of playing tennis, it was time to replace one of them. Amazing... This is a photo taken this afternoon, just 5 hours after a total knee replacement. Walked about a hundred yards, pain-free and barely needed the walker! Incredible...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Congrats on the new knee.

One word of caution. My oldest sister had her knee replaced about 5 years ago. Absolutely pain free until she started doing PT. Then, oh man. Prepare yourself for the potential for it all start to change once you start working it.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, I've been warned of the pain to come. But I'm so ready to be whole again...

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
rockyp said:
yep, I've been warned of the pain to come. But I'm so ready to be whole again...
Good luck. I hope it all goes well.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Work that therapy!!!! A friend had double knee at the same time 6 years ago and she worked that therapy and now at 70, gets around fabulously!!!

When I had rotator cuff surgery Dec 2010 I worked my butt, and shoulder off. It paid off as I have full range movement still.

There may be a time I will be doing the same thing. My right knee has been giving me fits for years and lately, it seems to be worse.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has been 11 weeks - almost three months - and I'm walking easily. Haven't tried running (aka tennis) yet, but will try it next few days. Doc and Physical Therapist tell me I'm ahead of the curve, but it isn't fast enough for me! :cheers:

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
rockyp said:
It has been 11 weeks - almost three months - and I'm walking easily. Haven't tried running (aka tennis) yet, but will try it next few days. Doc and Physical Therapist tell me I'm ahead of the curve, but it isn't fast enough for me! :cheers:
Major surgery takes up to a year to completely heal. Listen to your Doctor and Physical Therapist.

Sounds like you have been working that therapy! Don't over do it. I read where you are going on vacation. Walking barefoot in the sand, bet therapy around....along with a beautiful sunset and a drink, or two.

As for isn't fast enough, heck let's not rush the time, we get old fast enough as it is. ;D

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can look back a couple of weeks, and notice that I'm able to more easily do things today. That's progress. But I want progress I an see daily!! Wahhh, wahhh, wahhh...

By the way, zman and others did warn me of the pain to come. Boy, were they right on! That had to be the worst two weeks of my life! Thank goodness, the pain is all but gone.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Almost pain-free. It has now been 4 months since the surgery, and I'm walking 1-2 miles every day. Occasionally, I feel some discomfort or even a little pain, but that's pretty rare. The joint is still stiff - I can't yet move it quickly and easily like my other knee. Also, I'm still not running on it - much. I tried last week, and had decent success running maybe 25-30 feet. I still don't think I'm ready for my favorite activity - tennis - but I'm going to try next week with some players who aren't too challenging. We'll see how that goes.

On a day-to-day basis, I don't see much improvement, but I often do something then think "Hmmm. I couldn't do that two weeks ago." All in all, I guess I'm doing pretty well.

Thanks for asking!!

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
It sounds like things are going more or less as expected. Take it easy with each renewed activity; not only for the knee, but also for the rest of you. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts