EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - Just noticed a blue ball-point pen mark on the gray seat of our Enclave. Not sure how long it's been there - or even how it got there - but it's there. Followed the cleaning advice in the manual but no luck.

There seems to be conflicting advice on the web (what a surprise!) as to the best cleaning method. As eye-catching as the mark it is I'd hate to make it worse by experimenting with the wrong cleaner. And with just the seat face being leather it's hard to find an inconspicuous place to test.

Anyone have any experience with ink on leather?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes - couple of ideas - heard that hairspray might work or WD 40 (seems to work for everything else) I bough a product called ink-out by Core (www.coreproductsco.com) Works awesome on funiture, carpet etc

·
Registered
35 Posts
My grandson recently decided our leather seats needed some "decoration" with an ink pen. :(. I tried many cleaners - including Armorall and Meguiars Leather cleaner. I then searched on line for tips - hairspray, Mr. Clean magic erase, WD40, etc. None of them worked. I finally tried Goof Off Pro Strength remover. Although it did not totally remove the ink, there is only a faint shadow now. I don't think anyone would notice if they did not know the marks were there. Only caution with Goof Off is to be careful and don't be too aggressive.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
hbeasley11 said:
My grandson recently decided our leather seats needed some "decoration" with an ink pen. :(. I tried many cleaners - including Armorall and Meguiars Leather cleaner. I then searched on line for tips - hairspray, Mr. Clean magic erase, WD40, etc. None of them worked. I finally tried Goof Off Pro Strength remover. Although it did not totally remove the ink, there is only a faint shadow now. I don't think anyone would notice if they did not know the marks were there. Only caution with Goof Off is to be careful and don't be too aggressive.
Note to everyone.....keep pens, pencils, crayons, etc. out of reach of little ones in the back seat.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Use rubbing alcohol, it's the alcohol in hairspray that removes the ink stains, but the amount of alcohol has been reduced compared to the old days and is less effective than in the past at removing ink stains because of this.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
kidsenclave said:
Note to everyone.....keep pens, pencils, crayons, etc. out of reach of little ones in the back seat.
"Note to everyone.....keep pens, pencils, crayons, etc. out of reach of little ones in the back seat."[/color]

·
Registered
848 Posts
Good luck with that if it's not your daily vehicle. I've said several times our kids our not allowed to have any food or candy (especially gum) because of all the crap I clean out of the back. In one ear, and out the other....

·
Registered
592 Posts
Go to an autobody shop supplier, or check online for SEM Leather Dye. Their matches for GM vehicles is spot on. It comes in a spray can and I have used it on many different vehicles. You first clean the area with Simple Green, then Clean with SEM Soap, then Simple Green again (all to remove oils and conditioners), then simply spray the Dye on. It sinks right into the leather and any amatuer can do it. I try other remedies and cleaners first, but if they dont come off easily, I grab the dye. Trust me, great stuff to have around even if you dont have a problem now... :)

Their matches for FORD colors are also very good, but the GM matches are unbelievable - I have used GM grey, black, cashmere, etc etc and FORD camel......

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
TSS said:
Go to an autobody shop supplier, or check online for SEM Leather Dye. Their matches for GM vehicles is spot on. It comes in a spray can and I have used it on many different vehicles. You first clean the area with Simple Green, then Clean with SEM Soap, then Simple Green again (all to remove oils and conditioners), then simply spray the Dye on. It sinks right into the leather and any amatuer can do it. I try other remedies and cleaners first, but if they dont come off easily, I grab the dye. Trust me, great stuff to have around even if you dont have a problem now... :)

Their matches for FORD colors are also very good, but the GM matches are unbelievable - I have used GM grey, black, cashmere, etc etc and FORD camel......
Thanks for the recommendation. I hadn't heard of automotive leather dying kits before your post. :thumb:

·
Registered
592 Posts
No problem. Its great stuff for spots that cannot be removed and also for dying entire seats if you have cracking or creases. The key is proper prep as I described above to ensure that years of body oils and conditioners are gone so that the dye is absorbed. Very very easy to use. Far easier than regular painting with a spray can. Again make sure it is SEM brand. About 15 to 20 bucks per spray can. I will post a picture tomorrow of the product so you know what you are looking for.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I I cannot say for sure. That color swatch is a few years old. I am sure there are cross references online. That light Grey was for a 2001 Deville DTS or 09 Impala SS.....can't remember which, as I don't have either car anymore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts