EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you pronounce enclave. is it ONclave or INclave, the first dealer we went to call it inclave and thats what i call it now, but everybody i talk to about it now looks at me funny and sais onclave.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Onclave for me. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
The Buick commercials say "ONclave :thumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here is the reference from Merriam Webster - the word looks to be pronounced two ways. EN (as in end) and AN (as in on). The en version is pretty close to IN, but not exactly.

Main Entry: en·clave
Pronunciation: 'en-"klAv, 'än-"klAv
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from Middle French, from enclaver to enclose, from Vulgar Latin *inclavare to lock up, from Latin in- + clavis key -- more at CLAVICLE
: a distinct territorial, cultural, or social unit enclosed within or as if within foreign territory <ethnic enclaves>

I like the web dictionaries because for people like me who have never learned the phonetic alphabets there are audio files on the MW website. So don't take my word for it, go and listen to it yourself.
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/Enclave

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I say Onclave. A salesman on my hunt for an Enclave mispronounced Buick as Broorke (one syllable). :sosad:

·
Registered
208 Posts
I corrected the Saturn sales guy who referred to the AR-cadia when we were driving an outlook.

A salesman on my hunt for an Enclave mispronounced Buick as Broorke (one syllable). so sad
We have a major 6 lane road around here called "Rural Road". I cannot tell you how many people call it "Rule Road" - people from all walks of life cannot say a simple two syllable word and turn it into a single syllable different word. OK, maybe not so simple, two "R's" like that are a little tough to roll off the tongue but jeesh - they change the word entirely!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
ONclave.

I have a friend who calls it an INclave. She also calls the Escalade an Escalaadee.[/color]
:crazy:

·
Registered
184 Posts
The word enclave is pronounced ON-klayve. Don't put too much thought into automobile names. They're chosen for their sound, not their meaning. The word "enclave" sounds vaguely French, which to some people conveys a sense of high fashion and "classiness" (and therefore desirable to consumers eager to gain the illusion of increased social status just by making a purchase), even though France and the French people are neither high-fashion nor classy.

Big Larry
[/color]

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
But they do make good "fried potatoes" ;D

·
Registered
116 Posts
I say it "en (as in end) clave" - I'm British though, I think that's the British pronunciation. I also say Buick "byoo-ick" - that's probably wrong too, is it?! :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tomato,"Toe-may-to" or "Toe-ma-toe" and potato,"Po-tate-toe" "Po-tot-to". ON-clave or IN-clave, It doesn't matter what you call it, you still have to wait 8-12 weeks to call it "yours, mine, ours". ;D

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Big Larry said:
The word enclave is pronounced ON-klayve. Don't put too much thought into automobile names. They're chosen for their sound, not their meaning. The word "enclave" sounds vaguely French, which to some people conveys a sense of high fashion and "classiness" (and therefore desirable to consumers eager to gain the illusion of increased social status just by making a purchase), even though France and the French people are neither high-fashion nor classy.

Big Larry
[/color]
Well sed! :D

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Well then how come French Poodles act classy & fashionable?!?!?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rosita2001 said:
Well then how come French Poodles act classy & fashionable?!?!?
becasue their rich high-class american owners train them to be.

·
Registered
40 Posts
GM just needed another "E" SUV. Ford has the Explorer, Expedition, Escape, Excursion etc. GM has the Envoy, Escalade and now the Enclave. Gone are the days of names like Jimmy. Only a ******* (or Big Larry with his velvet steering wheel) could go for that kind of name again. Just kidding Larry...I like Elvis as much as the next guy. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts