EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had started my enclave the other day, and it stalled when I was backing up, now it will only turn over once or twice, battery is fully charged ,oil is good ,when I tried starting it I can smell something electrical burning under the vehicle or near engine,do you think the engine seized on me?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And also do you know if a 07-08 enclave engine is compatible with a 2012 enclave as a replacement, it's a 3.6 l

·
Registered
43 Posts
car-parts.com is your friend for finding used parts, will cross years for you.
Look into the starter first before a new engine.

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
Interesting this happened right after you posted about the oil pressure light being on.

Is the burning electrical smell the starter being overworked because the engine is so hard to turn over? In cases of major engine damage where it won't turn over properly draining the oil will usually provide a lot of clues. If you find metal bits or the oil has a metallic shimmer it's a bad sign.

Did you ever get it documented with Canadian Tire that the oil pressure warning light was coming on immediately after having your oil changed there? About 10 years ago my neighbor had a nice Expedition XLT that the dealership forgot to put oil in after an oil change. After some back and forth with his attorney they put him in 1 year newer slightly less miles Eddie Baurer Expedition at no cost to him (other than his lawyer sending a couple letters).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Like kevcol said, it could very well be the starter. Has it been well maintained? Slow down and have someone look at it. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good call JayS, I forgot this OP had the oil light issue with CT.... What is the mileage on the E? It wouldn't be the first time CT has caused an engine replacement....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's at about 262xxx I bought it used a few weeks ago, so I don't know to much about it, seems to be maintained, funny thing when we went to change oil pressure sensor during oil change,it was rounded like the previous owner tried to change it but stripped it, I still have new sensor also, just wondering how to get stripped sensor out ,yes we do have the sensor socket

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doing starter today ,will keep you posted, just don't understand why it would stall in reverse for first time for me,then not start...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any advice on easy ways to get to starter, having trouble getting to a bolt on the engine mount to get to starter

·
Registered
57 Posts
Your prior oil pressure warning light coming on could very well be due to a defective oil pressure switch - but you won't know unless you can get a pressure gauge on it. So you don't know if you have an oil pressure problem or not, and the engine stalls and the starter barely turns the engine over and something got hot. You have a lot of things going on right now. Is your reason to take the present starter out to test it at a shop or to replace it with a known good starter?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Given the previous owner apparently was attempting to remove that oil pressure switch, the low oil pressure warning light must have been an issue before you bought the vehicle from the previous owner. Did the previous owner disclose this issue to your prior to your purchase? If not, I would have a talk with the previous owner, as that person wasn't up front with you. The previous owner may have some additional information that you don't have that could help you sort through all what you have now also.

That switch is in a tight spot. Is there a way to grab it with a vice grip or something to at least get it started towards loosening it up? Or a channel locks possibly?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts