EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I posted here about a year ago asking if the Enclave will fit in our 8' by 7' foot garage. Since that will work out I had a few other questions I had to ask. Next year we decided to buy a Buick Enclave fully loaded and I want to see what people thought of the Enclave since its been out for a bit. I been reading these forums and see some people have been having camshaft/stabilitrack/ignition issues which worry me. Especially when some people have their vehicles at the dealer for a month without a free loaner.

I know when many people post on web forums such as these many just come on getting advice when their car fails, but I am still worried. So how widespread are these issues? I know this is the first year for the Enclave and all first year vehicles have issues so you think these issues will be solved by the next model year? Or at the very least will they have the parts they need to fix these vehicles in a week at most? I want to keep this vehicle until it has 75k miles to 100k miles I know issues will pop up but I am hoping the powertrain is reliable enough for this time.

Other than those issues it seems the majority of people are happy with their Enclaves. My only other concern was the navigation system, I heard here that its unusable when the vehicle is in motion. Can you still use the voice recognition to input XM channels and addresses when the vehicle is moving?

My only other question is whats new for 2009? I heard rumors of standard Direct Injection, Bluetooth, and cooled front seats? Has this been confirmed? Any other options coming that I missed? So if everything works out by this time next year we will have a new Enclave and I look forward to it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As an add-on to EnclaveFan's question, does Buick normally provide a loaner when in-warranty repair work is being done? I currently drive a 2001 Acura MDX and also will be placing an order for the 2009 Enclave as soon as they are taking orders. I have grown accustomed to getting a loaner ANYTIME I bring my MDX in for servicing, even for routine maintenance. I am hoping that Buick does the same?

·
Registered
325 Posts
JPOW....I don't think anyone can answer that question with any truth. I'm sure it varies by Dealer & you'll have to ask the Dealer your buying from.. Even then you might not know for sure because sometimes they don't always tell the truth....say it isn't so...!!
My Dealer is pretty good so far but they offered me an Enterprise mini-van once when my Enclave had an overnighter.. I didn't accept! They didn't have any Enclaves in stock to offer...

·
Registered
509 Posts
It is not a corporate-wide policy as far as loaner cars, etc. Some dealers do, but not a huge amount with Buick--ask around, when shopping. That factor does stink, yes, but it's expensive to keep a fleet of loaners around and most dealers just don't. Should be a corporate policy, at least with Buick and Cadillac, but isn't.

As for the other questions, this continues to come up, but the Enclave technically IS already a second year vehicle--the Acadia and Outlook are identical in all mechanical, etc. intensive purposes, and were already on the road as 2007's and different hiccups were already cured by the time the Enclave came around as an early '08. Every year typically is better than the last, but as even you mentioned--you're reading TOO much into problems here and elsewhere. Forums are often populated first by people with problems looking for ideas and others in the same situation. In reality, the Enclave has been extremely strong in its general lack of issues, aside from an early trans reprogram (of which, similar is common with any new vehicle of any brand) and one or two other minor things. Compare it to other competitors, Acura, MB, and more, and it's actually still been more trouble-free.

Of course there will be that minute % of an off chance difference in another minor hair here or there more likely not being present in an '09, but it's nowhere close to even being something to worry about. In a world of cars having issues with electronics, weird noises, etc. the Lambda crossovers, especially now in the '08 model year, have been rather exemplary.

With the Nav, yes it is locked when in motion as far as putting any addresses, etc. in. This isn't just a GM thing, but has become common with others too through weird legalities. XM channels, like any radio channels, can still be changed, but there is no input to the Nav with voice or manual typing when in motion. It can be worked around with modules that keep everything active regardless of being stopped or moving, and really isn't that big of a deal in reality.

As for 2009 changes...here we go again. Ordering guides will be up in detail in the next 2 weeks, but the Direct Injection engine, Cooled seats option on CXL's, Nav traffic, Rearview camera without Nav, and Bluetooth are all known and will be there. The only other things to look for are color changes (will delete a couple and add a couple back), and any difference in option packaging.

You will NOT be sorry with an Enclave, to say the least--and especially not in the long term, from what has been shown already in the almost year they've been out.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
JPOW said:
As an add-on to EnclaveFan's question, does Buick normally provide a loaner when in-warranty repair work is being done? I currently drive a 2001 Acura MDX and also will be placing an order for the 2009 Enclave as soon as they are taking orders. I have grown accustomed to getting a loaner ANYTIME I bring my MDX in for servicing, even for routine maintenance. I am hoping that Buick does the same?
I called around and checked when we first moved to this area years ago and all of the GM dealerships I checked will provide an equal or larger Enterprise rental (7 passenger crossover, SUV, minivan) at NO CHARGE during any warranty repair on a similar sized vehicle. Most of them will also provide same class Enterprise rental for OUT OF WARRANTY repairs at $30/day through agreement they have with Enterprise. This is great as most minivan, SUV, CUV rentals are $50-$60 per day normally. I am not sure, but maybe the regional GM rep over service dept's requires this as they all seem to consistently provide this excellent service.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
caddycruiser said:
It is not a corporate-wide policy as far as loaner cars, etc. Some dealers do, but not a huge amount with Buick--ask around, when shopping. That factor does stink, yes, but it's expensive to keep a fleet of loaners around and most dealers just don't. Should be a corporate policy, at least with Buick and Cadillac, but isn't.

As for the other questions, this continues to come up, but the Enclave technically IS already a second year vehicle--the Acadia and Outlook are identical in all mechanical, etc. intensive purposes, and were already on the road as 2007's and different hiccups were already cured by the time the Enclave came around as an early '08. Every year typically is better than the last, but as even you mentioned--you're reading TOO much into problems here and elsewhere. Forums are often populated first by people with problems looking for ideas and others in the same situation. In reality, the Enclave has been extremely strong in its general lack of issues, aside from an early trans reprogram (of which, similar is common with any new vehicle of any brand) and one or two other minor things. Compare it to other competitors, Acura, MB, and more, and it's actually still been more trouble-free.

Of course there will be that minute % of an off chance difference in another minor hair here or there more likely not being present in an '09, but it's nowhere close to even being something to worry about. In a world of cars having issues with electronics, weird noises, etc. the Lambda crossovers, especially now in the '08 model year, have been rather exemplary.

With the Nav, yes it is locked when in motion as far as putting any addresses, etc. in. This isn't just a GM thing, but has become common with others too through weird legalities. XM channels, like any radio channels, can still be changed, but there is no input to the Nav with voice or manual typing when in motion. It can be worked around with modules that keep everything active regardless of being stopped or moving, and really isn't that big of a deal in reality.

As for 2009 changes...here we go again. Ordering guides will be up in detail in the next 2 weeks, but the Direct Injection engine, Cooled seats option on CXL's, Nav traffic, Rearview camera without Nav, and Bluetooth are all known and will be there. The only other things to look for are color changes (will delete a couple and add a couple back), and any difference in option packaging.

You will NOT be sorry with an Enclave, to say the least--and especially not in the long term, from what has been shown already in the almost year they've been out.
Thank you, you have largely put my fears to rest. Now I feel once again I can buy this vehicle without fear. I am a little pissed that I can't adjust the navigation while driving but I can live with that. In my Honda Ridgeline the navigation works when the vehicle is moving but when you start up the vehicle the screen displays a disclaimer and requires you to hit ok on the screen before using the system. I wish they did that with the Enclave also. Can you tell me more about these workarounds to get pass this issue with the navigation system? Is is something the dealer can do?

I am also glad to see these options coming, I think they will complete the Enclave. I just wish the HUD became available but I can live without it. I also see you own a new Malibu, we were thinking about getting one in another 2 years to replace our old Accord how do you like it overall?

·
Registered
509 Posts
EnclaveFan said:
I am also glad to see these options coming, I think they will complete the Enclave. I just wish the HUD became available but I can live without it. I also see you own a new Malibu, we were thinking about getting one in another 2 years to replace our old Accord how do you like it overall?
LOVE IT, in every regard :thumb:

Glad what I wrote helped. Buying anything, especially as large and expensive as a car, can always make you worry and wonder, but there really is next to nothing to do but enjoy the experience with any current GM product. I'm not biased for any brand or model, but the Enclave in particular is just an insane standout, in a class all its own.

We almost bought one twice before re-evaluating things and deciding "car", but what a combo it would be to have BOTH an Enclave and a new Malibu in the same driveway. Big recommendation on both.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
In my Honda Ridgeline the navigation works when the vehicle is moving but when you start up the vehicle the screen displays a disclaimer and requires you to hit ok on the screen before using the system. I wish they did that with the Enclave also.
We get that same window too. It seems to pop up every 10th time or so we use the NAV. We have to touch "OK" to prove that we read it. I ALWAYS take time to read each and every word slowly and out loud to myself so that I can fully comprehend the consequences of my impending actions if I fail to follow it's edict. :angel:

·
Registered
83 Posts
As far as changing the xm radio stations while in motion you have a few options.

1. you can turn the station knob to change the station.
2. if you set your favorites you can scroll through them with your up down buttons on the steering wheel.
3. you can say "radio select (station #) xm" using the voice button on the wheel to change the station.
4. you can go forward only using another button through all stations, not just your favorites on the wheel.

But you are locked out of the drop down list while in motion. For example if you select rock you will have 4 or 5 choices instead of their usual big list.

If you pre program your address book with all the places you intend to drive to it seems pretty easy. When I make sales calls I look up all the clients and load in their addresses in the am, and then you can even voice tag them and call them out on using the voice button on your wheel. But you cannot add a new address using voice. But it is cool to say when you are in the middle of the city and want to go home "navigation" then "go to home" and up pops your route.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
509 Posts
FANTASTIC, snoopy! Great details :thumb:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
caddycruiser said:
LOVE IT, in every regard :thumb:

Glad what I wrote helped. Buying anything, especially as large and expensive as a car, can always make you worry and wonder, but there really is next to nothing to do but enjoy the experience with any current GM product. I'm not biased for any brand or model, but the Enclave in particular is just an insane standout, in a class all its own.

We almost bought one twice before re-evaluating things and deciding "car", but what a combo it would be to have BOTH an Enclave and a new Malibu in the same driveway. Big recommendation on both.
I actually have a lot of faith in GM's new products. Before 2005 I would of only bought a handful of products from them but now everything they are releasing has me interested and even GM's harshest/biased critics like Consumer Reports noticed a huge improvement in quality, reliability, and the vehicles themselves. The Enclave is in a class of its own IMO, its the biggest most luxurious SUV you can buy without bankrupting yourself.

I had my share of problems with our 94' Accord, we must of put $5k worth of money into it keeping it running. We never had an issue with the engine or transmission but the A/C (3x in the past 8 years, and now its starting to not cool as well), ABS (2x), and many other less major things broke more than a few times. So I realize even the most praised vehicles (Reliability wise) have issues.

The only thing with the Malibu is that I will probably wait until the next generation Epsilon II platform so I can get AWD which is a must when living in Eastern Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
snoopy said:
As far as changing the xm radio stations while in motion you have a few options.

1. you can turn the station knob to change the station.
2. if you set your favorites you can scroll through them with your up down buttons on the steering wheel.
3. you can say "radio select (station #) xm" using the voice button on the wheel to change the station.
4. you can go forward only using another button through all stations, not just your favorites on the wheel.

But you are locked out of the drop down list while in motion. For example if you select rock you will have 4 or 5 choices instead of their usual big list.

If you pre program your address book with all the places you intend to drive to it seems pretty easy. When I make sales calls I look up all the clients and load in their addresses in the am, and then you can even voice tag them and call them out on using the voice button on your wheel. But you cannot add a new address using voice. But it is cool to say when you are in the middle of the city and want to go home "navigation" then "go to home" and up pops your route.

Hope this helps
Yes that does help, thanks. When I drive I use the voice recognition in our Ridgeline to control the HVAC, Radio, and Navigation. 95% of the time I put in directions and save them to the address book when I start. As long as I can call them up with the voice recognition when driving I will be fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ccaats said:
We get that same window too. It seems to pop up every 10th time or so we use the NAV. We have to touch "OK" to prove that we read it. I ALWAYS take time to read each and every word slowly and out loud to myself so that I can fully comprehend the consequences of my impending actions if I fail to follow it's edict. :angel:
Its annoying but at least I can use the system when I am driving. I don't understand why they have to lock the system out if you see the disclaimer?

·
Registered
509 Posts
EnclaveFan said:
The only thing with the Malibu is that I will probably wait until the next generation Epsilon II platform so I can get AWD which is a must when living in Eastern Pennsylvania.
Ah, yes, you know about EP-II :thumb: If the Malibu gets AWD--it's possible, but we'll see--the new-new car is supposed to be a lot like the new '08, just a touch wider and the latest in gizmos, etc. Not really a whole lot of talk about it yet, as the current car that's only a few months old, is one of the hottest current GM products.

That said...I'd never bother with AWD unless I lived somewhere with really severe conditions and roads, a lot of the year. In Delaware, eastern PA (Philly suburbs now), and even western PA...that's nothing. Rather than drag AWD gear around everyday that only goes into action in the maybe 2 feather-light snows, FWD & traction control/Stabilitrak is exemplary :thumb:

Same goes with an Enclave. AWD is one of those things people like in theory, and yes it does help with grip, but is so holy unnecessary in so many regards, it's an emotional/mental buy if anything. Oh well, different things for different people :thumb:

What kind of Enclave combo are you most looking towards?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
caddycruiser said:
Ah, yes, you know about EP-II :thumb: If the Malibu gets AWD--it's possible, but we'll see--the new-new car is supposed to be a lot like the new '08, just a touch wider and the latest in gizmos, etc. Not really a whole lot of talk about it yet, as the current car that's only a few months old, is one of the hottest current GM products.

That said...I'd never bother with AWD unless I lived somewhere with really severe conditions and roads, a lot of the year. In Delaware, eastern PA (Philly suburbs now), and even western PA...that's nothing. Rather than drag AWD gear around everyday that only goes into action in the maybe 2 feather-light snows, FWD & traction control/Stabilitrak is exemplary :thumb:

Same goes with an Enclave. AWD is one of those things people like in theory, and yes it does help with grip, but is so holy unnecessary in so many regards, it's an emotional/mental buy if anything. Oh well, different things for different people :thumb:

What kind of Enclave combo are you most looking towards?
Well thats what I am looking forward to. Along with an armrest in the rear seat. I buy well equipped cars and would like to see more options added to the Malibu. Plus wider is better IMO, more room. I live in the Poconos, in a town only 11 miles west of Milford. Where I am we get extremely bad weather in the winter, FWD just doesn't cut it. I learned that the hard way :(. Our AWD Ridgeline plows through the snow and ice without much effort. I think AWD is worth every negative once the bad weather comes. Also to me the increase in traction is very noticeable.

We want a fully loaded Enclave, I think its called the CXL AWD. I plan on getting all the options minus the rear DVD player. I also want to get all weather mats, I want to trade out the rugs for them in the winter for obvious reasons. Plus a cargo cover to keep our belongs out of sight. Right now the Enclave has everything we can ever want minus the HUD and smart key.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When you take the Enclave leap you might want to consider Abeloff Buick in Stroudsburg, PA. We ordered ours from them in late February. The internet sales department (Jason Motts) was great and the dealer had 4 allocations for the month of March. Our order got picked up quickly and our salesperson has kept up up to date as we've movedalongwith the process. Our targeted production week is next week (March 31st) and we are hoping for a mid April delivery.

From initial contact to trade appraisal and writing up the paperwork I couldn't be happier! Throw in their owners advantage program (check their website) and we have found a dealer who is willing to earn our business. I have also heard good things about Royal Pontiac Buick up in Sussex, NJ which might be a little closer.

What ever you decide I know you'll be happy with youe new E!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
familytraveler said:
When you take the Enclave leap you might want to consider Abeloff Buick in Stroudsburg, PA. We ordered ours from them in late February. The internet sales department (Jason Motts) was great and the dealer had 4 allocations for the month of March. Our order got picked up quickly and our salesperson has kept up up to date as we've movedalongwith the process. Our targeted production week is next week (March 31st) and we are hoping for a mid April delivery.

From initial contact to trade appraisal and writing up the paperwork I couldn't be happier! Throw in their owners advantage program (check their website) and we have found a dealer who is willing to earn our business. I have also heard good things about Royal Pontiac Buick up in Sussex, NJ which might be a little closer.

What ever you decide I know you'll be happy with youe new E!
Thanks for your input.

I am up in Lords Valley, Stroudsburg is a reasonable 20-25 miles from here so I am definitely going to check them out. I would consider shopping in New Jersey but I don't want to pay higher tax on the vehicle. When I get to within a month or two of the purchase I am going to E-Mail the 10 nearest Buick dealers to me and get a price quote. I am going to try my best to get at least $3k off the price. I also hope they will give me $3k for my trade in.

Can you tell me more about your shopping experience at this dealer? If they are good I would want to get the Enclave serviced at their dealership.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was reading the website but couldn't find anything on the "owners advantage program ". Can you tell me about it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Enclavefan,

Here's a summary oftheir "owners advantage program":

Abeloff Advantage Rewards
What is Loyalty?
Loyalty means saving up to $2,000 off your next Abeloff Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Nissan, or Pre-Owned vehicle with the swipe of a card!

When you use your Abeloff Advantage Rewards Card you will earn 15% of every dollar you spend in our service, parts or accessory department. This 15% can be used toward the purchase price of your next new or pre-owned Abeloff vehicle. When you are ready to buy or lease, simply present your valid Abeloff Advantage Rewards Card or key tag to your sales consultant and the balance of your Abeloff Advantage Rewards, up to $2,000, will be applied toward the price of your new vehicle.

What does the Abeloff Advantage Card Entitle me to?
You are eligible for discounted and complimentary services such as:
$16.95 lifetime oil changes
25% off all diesel and synthetic oil changes
Free Multipoint inspections
Free shuttle service within a 15 mile radius of the dealership
$200 OFF purchase price of Extended Service Contract*
50% OFF Tire rotations*
$25 OFF Full Vehicle Detail*
Free State Inspections*
Free First Oil Change*
How do I earn dollars?
Building your balance is easy! You will earn 15% of all qualified purchases including retail parts and services, detail, maintenance, and any accessories! Sorry, additional vehicle purchases do not apply. Simply present your valid Abeloff Advantage Rewards card or key tag to the cashier at time of payment. Your transaction history and balance will be updated each night and tracked electronically. You will also receive monthly statements with your current balance and transaction history.

Your account has already been pre-loaded with $50 for the Gold Program and $150 for the Platinum.
Earn 15% of all qualified purchases, including retail parts and service, detail, maintenance, and accessories.
Receive $100 on your Abeloff Advantage Card for each first-time referral sale.

You can also click on this link for more details:

http://nissan.abeloff.com/custom4.aspx

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts