EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 2008 enclave,I bought it used I drove it for about a month or so with no problems then all of a sudden the timing chain broke,I've just heard that these year models aren't available for extended warranty,I'm trying to see if anyone can direct me in a path to get it fixed at a good price

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
it broke?
On these engines- it wears enough- that it appears to have stretched. Eventually setting code. On some- it may jump a tooth and get out of timing- but rare to have it break. I think I only recall reading of 1 broken chain-
but that lead to a bunch of other damaged parts.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
in the past.....metal timing chains outlast the vehicles. Normally.

On the 3.6 in these vehicles- especially 2009's there was an issue with accelerated wear. This made it look like the chains stretched.
Its important to monitor oil levels and to use quality oil. This will help with the chain lubrication.
As long as oil levels are good and the oil is in good shape- You should not have chain issues.

Many of the people with 2010+ who had chain issues- it can be traced back to oil related issues.
Changing the chains is expensive. as most shops will drop the engine/trans/cradle.
Id say average $3000 job.--- depending on shop.

I have seen videos of home mechanics who did the chains with engine in bay-- but it is a very tight fit.

·
Registered
147 Posts
in the past.....metal timing chains outlast the vehicles. Normally.

On the 3.6 in these vehicles- especially 2009's there was an issue with accelerated wear. This made it look like the chains stretched.
Its important to monitor oil levels and to use quality oil. This will help with the chain lubrication.
As long as oil levels are good and the oil is in good shape- You should not have chain issues.

Many of the people with 2010+ who had chain issues- it can be traced back to oil related issues.
Changing the chains is expensive. as most shops will drop the engine/trans/cradle.
Id say average $3000 job.--- depending on shop.

I have seen videos of home mechanics who did the chains with engine in bay-- but it is a very tight fit.

FWIW, my local repair shop suspects my timing chain is stretched, and the owner states that using higher viscosity oil may help the situation, especially with warmer weather coming soon. He said something like 15/40 oil. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2011 Buick Enclave. Engine light came on and read timing codes. Possibly the timing chain. Is this something that maybe covered under warrant. It has 112k.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
So, if I have service stabilitrak, traction control off, P0355 & P0356 cam positions A & B and a knock sensor issue.... I may not actually need a whole new engine? If I were to clean the catch can milkshake, replace the MAF, That it might be ok? Maybe I should do all that and take it to my local engine shop and see if the would replace the cam shaft seal, cams, reset them properly and timing chain. Then it might be WAY better than it is now.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I am having my "Cherry-Ot" towed 29 miles tomorrow to have a shop change the timing chain, or whatever it is made of, sprockets, guides, sensors, the water pump, and the mass air flow sensor. Job should cost me about $1,800.00 + 120.00 for the towing. Hopeful this is what needs done, other than being told by the dealer I needed an entire new engine for $8,700.00.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
The "Cherry-Ot" has been at the shop since Friday. Got a call today. Timing chain, guides, sockets, cam shaft sensor and cover gasket $1,633.50. Should be done by next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
interesting they took the route of leaving it in the engine- and removing the parts in the way- to access the timing chain area.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
interesting they took the route of leaving it in the engine- and removing the parts in the way- to access the timing chain area.
I asked him about that. He said his mechanic has small hands! :surprise:

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Well, I can understand that... I have small hands and arms--- can change my headlight bulbs. in about 12 min... BOTH.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Got the "Cherry-Ot" back drive it 30 mile back home, stopped and got a full up, pulled into the neighborhood, and BAM! Service Stabilitrak and Traction Control OFF. WTF ??? Just ordered a brand new Mass Air Flow sensor, will be here next week. Thing is still sending up codes P0300, P0174, and P2A04, .. Any suggestions?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
7 Participants
cfedor
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing