EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

How many "e" owners have had to have their chains replaced?

• Total voters
281 - 295 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
2009 CXL 2wd timing chain replaced at 133k miles. It started running sluggish and the check engine light was on. Plus I had an oil leak and couldn't determine from where. Diagnostics showed code from timing chain and the leak was from the timing chain housing. Didn't waste time and got it fixed. Just got it back on Friday. $2436 total but included a new gas door painted and installed. Took it back in this morning because the AC started blowing cold air and the check engine light came on again. They said the actuator was bad but agreed to do it for free since there wasn't a problem prior to me taking it in. The check engine light is now being caused by a code from the catalytic converter. They wanted to replace it for $1000. The service writer recommended I take it to a muffler shop. I don't think so. It's going to the trade-in block. Too many problems. :banghead:

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Can you even sell it with a CEL on?

Im saying this- because here- when you sell.. the owner needs to get a smog check on the vehicle.
If a cel is on- it obviously wont pass. so you cant sell it.

The mistake some folks make is sell a car without getting a smog check.
they figure the new owner will take care of it..
But as many find out- the new owner cant register the vehicle because theres no valid Smog test...
and they drive around with your car-- still under your name--- which can open up a can of worms if theres an accident...

If its traded in--- not sure how the dealers get around this.......... orthey eat the cost of getting it smogged/repaired....

·
Registered
343 Posts
It's cheaper to fix than buying a new car. I'd buy the part and put it in myself, or take it to the muffler shop and have them put it in. You already put a lot of money into fixing the timing chain, which will benefit the next owner instead of you.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
rbarrios said:

Im saying this- because here- when you sell.. the owner needs to get a smog check on the vehicle.

But as many find out- the new owner cant register the vehicle because theres no valid Smog test...
and they drive around with your car-- still under your name--- which can open up a can of worms if theres an accident...

If its traded in--- not sure how the dealers get around this.......... orthey eat the cost of getting it smogged/repaired....
What is a smog check? No such requirement here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
gig229 said:
It's cheaper to fix than buying a new car. I'd buy the part and put it in myself, or take it to the muffler shop and have them put it in. You already put a lot of money into fixing the timing chain, which will benefit the next owner instead of you.
I'd rather take a loss then to deal with such poor quality.

·
Registered
31 Posts
rbarrios said:

There's no such check where I'm from. Currently the CEL isn't on. It could come back on but if asked I'll tell them what code it's putting out. I'm not looking to hide anything. Just ready to take a loss and get rid of it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My wife loves the looks and feel of the Enclave. She actually wants to get another one but a newer model. Maybe something 1 or 2 years old. Maybe a 2014 or 2015. I've heard many on here say that they have worked out the issues with the earlier models. The dealer let us use a nice program car that was a 2016 Traverse LTZ while our enclave was being repaired. It was very nice. I may contact the sales team and see what they want for it. High mileage for a 2016 though. 26k miles already but I'm sure they loaned it out a lot and one of the managers probably drove it daily.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had my 2008 Enclave done 126,000 kms. Was told the 2010 Models were updated with newer stronger parts. Wrong! same problem and after contacting GM regarding my 2010 CXL 2 144,00km was told "there are no service bulletins on my vehicles timing chain and any expense incurred would be mine" This is obviously a major problem. Never again, please be aware of this when considering models with the 3.6 VVT engine. Do some research! Social media here I come!!!! :angryfire:

·
Registered
140 Posts
spiceman said:
Had my 2008 Enclave done 126,000 kms. Was told the 2010 Models were updated with newer stronger parts. Wrong! same problem and after contacting GM regarding my 2010 CXL 2 144,00km was told "there are no service bulletins on my vehicles timing chain and any expense incurred would be mine" This is obviously a major problem. Never again, please be aware of this when considering models with the 3.6 VVT engine. Do some research! Social media here I come!!!! :angryfire:
You need to change the oil on time, and with the right oil. My 09 Traverse had 77000 miles on it when i traded it with no problem with the TC. From day one i used full synthetic Mobil 1

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
YES, 48000 miles and just under 10 years old.
Cost $1988.00

·
Registered
198 Posts
Looks like the previous owner had the timing chains replaced last year @ ~ 150k miles. Since it cost around $2200, I'd be happy if these timing chains would last another 150k miles.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
I'd be happy if these timing chains would last another 150k miles.
they should-
when you get your next oil change and assuming the oil was allowed to drain properly--- the following day- take note of your oil level (on a cold engine- when the oil has been allowed to drain back to the pan).... this is your TRUE full oil level. (It may be well above the hashed marks).

While you check your oil level in the next say 5,000 miles... add oil to make sure it remains close to your TRUE oil level.

My Traverse is like that.
allowing oil to drain until theres an oil drop every min.... I refill with 5.5 qts, and use the PF-48E filter.
Checking the oil level the next day- the oil level has ALWAYS been above the FULL hash marks.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Never. On my 2010 or my 2016.

281 - 295 of 295 Posts