EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is the 100th thread on this subject, but the other 99 don't have definite answers.

To keep this relevant, please reply only if you have _direct_ experience (e.g. not "my brother in law knows someone . . . ") and please list your vehicle model year and the exact tire size you're using, not just the diameter.

• The Buick manual says "Do not use tire chains." but also says "Use another type of traction device only if its manufacturer recommends it . . ." and that, "If traction devices are used install them on the front tires."
  • The two brands that appear to come up in searches are Security Chain Company and Glacier Chain.
  • SCC's online chain sizer for 255/60-19 and their PDF catalog show the matching products as Z-579, SZ447, and ZT747
  • According to p. 8 of the PDF catalog, their Super Z6 line has the smallest required sidewall clearance.
  • I spent 20 minutes on the phone with a nice lady from SCC, and she says that, if any of their products is going to work in a tight clearance situation, it'd be the Super Z6 series, and that SZ447 is the correct size for that tire.
  • This forum thread shows an Enclave owner with 19" rims (width/profile not specified) using SZ441, which is correct for 235/65-19, 265/50-19, and 275/45-19, but not 255/60-19. Does the Enclave come with any of those other 3 tire sizes?
  • This other thread shows that someone with 255/60-19 tires purchased SZ447, but he never followed up to say whether they interfered with the mechanicals.
  • On the Acadia forum there's a poster who says SZ447 interferes with the strut on his 2010 Acadia with 255/60-19 tires. He even posted a photo to prove it, but the link from 2011 has expired :angryfire:
  • That same guy then says that SCC Z-579 is supposed to work better, based on a phone call to SCC. Well I called SCC today, and the nice lady says that doesn't make any sense, because their Super Z6 product (SZ447) requires less clearance in every dimension than their Z Chain product (Z-579).
  • etrailers.com appears to have a specific question/answer about 2014 Buick Enclave AWD with tire size P255/60R19, and they recommend Glacier Chain 2028C, but
    • The answer looks like boilerplate text
    • They also recommend a square-link chain, which is highly likely to NOT fit, so it looks like automated responses based on the tire size only, and not the specific vehicle, so I don't trust it.
    • That said, the Glacier Chain does look like a low-profile product, and it's less expensive than the SCC cable.
So I don't see any direct, first-person experience from someone with 255/60-19 tires that doesn't conflict with what SCC is telling me. I'm confused!!!!

I just ordered the SZ447 and the 2028C from amazon, and I'll follow up with results (and return the one I don't want).

edit: added links

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bleah. I just spent an hour collecting useful links for that posting, but I'm a n00b, so I'm not allowed to post URLs. Can I get special permission to add my URLs?

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I have direct experience using chains on my Hakkapeliitta 1's and 10's, and I am sorry in this world of political correctness. This was when I skied at Killington every weekend and needed to drive my RWD car in 20+" of snow on unpaved mountainous terrain.

The year is 2015 going on 2016. If your AWD Enclave cannot make it where you routinely drive, with snows on all corners, it's time to get a real SUV (hint check approach angles).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TheWaterbug said:
I just ordered the SZ447 and the 2028C from amazon, and I'll follow up with results (and return the one I don't want).
Drat! I can't even post images until I have more posts. If you want to see the images you'll have to add an "h" to each the URLs listed below. Grrrr.

Can some moderator either give me posting privileges or else turn those into proper links? They're safe, and they're obviously of value to the community. I'd also like to include links in my first post, since it references a lot of historical data. Anyway, back on topic . . . :

Both sets arrived today:

The SCC bag is nicer than the Glacier bag.

Here they are, unbagged:

The SCC chains come with the rubber tensioners; with Glacier it's an additional $12 purchase, which makes the effective price difference <$5.00 between the two brands.

But here's the kicker. The Glacier cable is thicker, by about 0.062", or approximately 1/16":

You wouldn't think that would make much difference, but here's the clearance around the spring when the SCC cable is installed:

I can't get in there to measure the gap, but it's _tiny_. Still, I drove a few hundred feet, including extreme left and right turns with the steering wheel locked against the stop, and there was no contact.

Given the tight clearance with the SCC cable I'm not even going to try the Glacier cable; those are going straight back to amazon. For $5 you get a thinner cable, a better bag, and nice support from SCC.

We leave on our trip in about a week, and we may not even get a chance to try these in the snow. But if we do, I'll be sure to post back my experience.

edit: I can post pix and links now!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great pictures. :thumb:

I have a 2008 E with the same tire size and AWD and need to take a trip up to Tahoe in a couple of weeks. After a LOT of web searching and searches on this forum, I was leaning heavily with the SZ447 but the question I have is 1 pair or two pair (front and back).

My concern is that putting them ONLY in the front might increase the possibility of fishtailing or not complying with CHP chain requirements.

In my younger days I had a Saab and when they (CHP) were signaling cars to pull over to put their chains on, they always waved me thru.

Love to here how your trip went and your final thoughts on your choice of cable/chains.

Bigmac

·
Registered
159 Posts
bigmac said:
I have a 2008 E with the same tire size and AWD and need to take a trip up to Tahoe in a couple of weeks. After a LOT of web searching and searches on this forum, I was leaning heavily with the SZ447 but the question I have is 1 pair or two pair (front and back).

My concern is that putting them ONLY in the front might increase the possibility of fishtailing or not complying with CHP chain requirements.
The owners manual says that when using chain alternatives, to put them on the front of an all wheel drive vehicle. I imagine you could put them additionally on the rear if you wanted to, as there's likely to be way less clearance issues than there are at the front. As to the CHP requirements, I have been through many CHP chain stops in recent years in route to skiing and chains on the tires of a single axle are all that is ever required. In fact, if you have AWD and M&S rated tires, (they look for the little snowflake logo that is on all season tires) you don't even have to use the chains under stage two conditions (where 2 wheel drive vehicles are required to chain up). You do however, have to be able to show them that you have the devices with you in case it goes to stage 3. However, in my experience, in CA and Nevada, they end up closing the roads 9 times out of 10, before it makes it to stage 3.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks GerryL.

It just so happens it's time for a new set of tires anyway. I'll look into an M/S rated set of tires and just get one pair of cable/chains.

Bigmac

Update: Looks like I've been getting M+S tires all along. It's just that they don't have the Snow Flake. As I understand, the Snow Flake is for snow tires. Since I live by the coast and only venture up into the mountains (and snow) 2 or 3 times a year, M+S tires and the cable/chains is what I need to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SCC (Peerless) Super Z6 SZ441 works on 2009 Enclave CXL

I’ve tried a few different options over my yearly snow trips and the only one that has made the clearance without damaging the car or shredding itself is the SZ441, which conveniently is what peerless’s chain picker says is the right Super Z6 for my 255/60-19 tires. Michelin M+S tires if that is of interest. Worked fine in moderate conditions in Tahoe and mammoth last year, will likely get to use them again this weekend. After several days of use last season, they show minimal wear, no rust or anything, just a little dirty. Good stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts