EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like there are lots of pictures of forum member's Enclaves that have great looking tire dressing.

I need to know what products everyone has found stays on the longest and doesn't attract dust.

Probably the most important feature that I am looking for, is a product that doesn't come off on the driveway. My old concrete driveway had these two black strips from tire dressing. Now that I've got a paving stone driveway, I haven't tried any tire dressing products for fear it will look as bad or worse.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Try one of these.

Poorboy's Bold & Bright or Zaino Z16 Perfect Tire Gloss. Both dressings work great and can be layered for more shine or gloss. Both are water base so they can be cleaned with just soap and water, plus neither sling.
Both have to be ordered on line; just do a search and you will find a dealer.

My guess is your not doing much auto detailing in Saskatoon this time of year---Right!!

·
Registered
743 Posts
I use Meguiar's NXT Generation, Insane shine, Tire coating. It's available in Auto Part Stores for about $6.00 per can(Spray). See my Gallery. Rocketman. 8)

·
Registered
986 Posts
I use Black Magic Titanium Matte Tire Finish. I apply it with a tire dressing applicator. I spray it on the foam applicator and just wipe it on. It dries in a few minutes to a nice matte finish that doesn't sling off while driving. I prefer the matte finish to the wet glossy look. I started using this product to avoid staining my driveway with the spray-on foam dressings. Every notice how the Michelin Latitude tires are more of a deep dark brown color rather than black?

CT

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
43sbest said:
Try one of these.

Poorboy's Bold & Bright or Zaino Z16 Perfect Tire Gloss. Both dressings work great and can be layered for more shine or gloss. Both are water base so they can be cleaned with just soap and water, plus neither sling.
Both have to be ordered on line; just do a search and you will find a dealer.

My guess is your not doing much auto detailing in Saskatoon this time of year---Right!!
I use neither Bold & Bright nor Zaino but you raise an important point... water based dressings, as opposed to those which contain petroleum distillates, are a good choice. The latter can damage rubber and leach out the compounds in tires which protect them from damaging UV. Oh, I use 303 Protectant... it doesn't shine, but does provide UV protection.

·
Registered
360 Posts
C Traz said:
Every notice how the Michelin Latitude tires are more of a deep dark brown color rather than black?

CT
I believe that the deep brown color is a reflection of the dressing that is being used. I have had this issue with other cars and the dressings that I used. Seems that some are worse than others, but I can't recall which were worse. For awhile I stopped using any and it took a while for the black color to come back. I now use this dressing from Griots:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/wheels+&+tires/wheel+tire+cleaners/weatherproof+tire+dressing+with+blue+detail+sponge.do?search=basic&keyword=tire+&sortby=newArrivals&page=2

It keeps the tires a flat black and will not turn brown (at least so far). They also have another product that will give a variable amount of gloss, but I have not used it myself:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/wheels+&+tires/wheel+tire+cleaners/long+lasting+tire+dressing,+8+ounces.do?search=basic&keyword=tire+&sortby=newArrivals&page=2

Anyway, just my 2 cents. :thumb:

·
Registered
159 Posts
rpasetto said:
The latter can damage rubber and leach out the compounds in tires which protect them from damaging UV. Oh, I use 303 Protectant... it doesn't shine, but does provide UV protection.
OK, time to stir the pot a bit....when's the last time anyone actually replaced a tire because the sidewalls were crazed and cracked from UV? 70s maybe?

·
Registered
413 Posts
GerryL said:
OK, time to stir the pot a bit....when's the last time anyone actually replaced a tire because the sidewalls were crazed and cracked from UV? 70s maybe?
Stir away my good man.
You might never get caught or killed driving 90MPH on the interstate but it's not a good idea. All I know is that for a reasonable price I can use a tire dressing that will not harm my tires.
Most tire dressings contain silicone or some form of petroleum product that is not good for your tires. The best indication of these products is when you apply the product and then wipe off the excess your rag or applicator will be black; this simply means your softening the tire compound and removing some of it.
As to those noting their tires turn brown this is definitely a result of the tire dressing being used.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
GerryL said:
How about just last summer. It was likely a combination of age, UV, and poorly constructed OEM tires. Our 2002 Taurus had Continental Contitac tires that had just 24k miles on them and they were cracking and separating all over the sidewalls. The car sat in a garage most of the time from 2002 to January 2007 when we acquired it; it only had 8400 miles on it at that time. In my opinion the OEM-spec tires were JUNK. I've never had another tire do that in over 30 years of driving.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
GerryL said:
Good point GerryL.. I don't use a protectant too often on the Enclave... except where we travel in really hot areas... strong sun. These days, most tires contain compounds which leach to the surface as the tire flexes going down the road... That's the key. The UV protectant is most useful when in hot sun when the vehicle is not being driven. Because of that I use the protectant often on my motorhome tires.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've used Meguires Gold Class Endurance for years & its the best. Not high gloss, I don't care for high gloss, and it never turns brown. Last several weeks & goes on with a provided applicator. Even has a pleasant smell! :happy:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Back to the point of the "dark brown tires". I switched to the Black Magic tire dressing because it IS water based. The silicone based dressings would leave a mark on my driveway that couldn't be hosed off. The Black Magic is a clear dressing but since it's water based, I don't think it is causing leaching of compounds from the tires. I notice the brown color after I wash my tires with a brush BEFORE I apply any dressing. Maybe the heavy coating of road salt around here this winter is contributing.

CT

·
Registered
80 Posts
I second the Griot's Products. I found their stuff while flipping through my Autoweek magazine and have become a junky of Richard Griot's products since the first day I tried them. I have used the Weatherproof Tire Dressing and the results have been great...no more turning brown, satin finish, and always clean looking without anything sticking to it or slinging onto the body. A bit messy to work with, so I would suggest wearing silicone gloves and applying on the street if your worried about the pavers. It does clean up with soap and water, but seemed like it took some effort to get off my hands and the rags I used to clean up still have slight staining on them.

You may also want to try http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/wheels+%26+tires/wheel+tire+cleaners/rubber+prep%2C+16+ounces.do. I haven't used this yet, but hoping to receive for Father's Day! :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
A key ingredient in the tire manufacturing process that makes tires look black is Carbon Black. We have all heard of tire rot and browing tires. One reason this happens is that the Carbon black needs to be "activated" to seep the tire surface. We activate the carbon black by driving. So when it sits idle for any length of time, the surface dries out.

I have tried a number of products from Griots to Mequiars, etc. I recently tried Forever Black's Tire dressing. This is a dye and similar to their product that I have used for a long time on my other cars to keep the black trim black. I have had it on for about a month and with all the rain we have had in the past few weeks, the tires still look great.

Before I apply any tire dressing, I clean the tires. I use a product from Classic Motoring Accessories call Eimann (sp) High Intensity cleaner. I scrub this on the tires and it surprisingly gets out a lot of dirt and grime. I let it sit for a while before a hard rinsing. I then let the tire dry. I have found applying any dressing on a wet tire minimizes the effectiveness. I then use the Forever Black and let it sit for a half hour before using the car. It provides a more natural matte finish as you would see on new tires. Not like that glossy finish that look to me unnatural. It does not shake off like some other dressings. I have been happy with Forever black it so far. If it doesn't pan out in the long run, I will revert back to Griot's product which I used for a long time.

Also, please use plastic gloves. This stuff really is a dye and I had to use some gas on my hands to get the dye off.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
imgntht said:
I second the Griot's Products. I found their stuff while flipping through my Autoweek magazine and have become a junky of Richard Griot's products since the first day I tried them. I have used the Weatherproof Tire Dressing and the results have been great...no more turning brown, satin finish, and always clean looking without anything sticking to it or slinging onto the body. A bit messy to work with, so I would suggest wearing silicone gloves and applying on the street if your worried about the pavers. It does clean up with soap and water, but seemed like it took some effort to get off my hands and the rags I used to clean up still have slight staining on them.

You may also want to try http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/wheels+%26+tires/wheel+tire+cleaners/rubber+prep%2C+16+ounces.do. I haven't used this yet, but hoping to receive for Father's Day! :)
Does this Rubber Prep contain Petroleum Distillates? (it should say so o n the can).

·
Registered
80 Posts
rpasetto said:
Does this Rubber Prep contain Petroleum Distillates? (it should say so o n the can).
Sorry not sure, I don't have the product in hand and the description online doesn't say. You could contact Griot's and I'm sure they could tell you quickly. I'll have to purchase some in the future as it did not make it into my Father's Day gifts...I did get other Griot's stuff though, so I'm happy. :thumb:

·
Banned
1 Posts
I think Tire dressing makes tire look shiny, clean, and new. It is really a tough job. You have to wear gloves for protection of your hands.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts