EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

Tires for Comfort and Noise Update 2020 Version.

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  CocoB 
#1 ·
So thinking to update this thread to todays standards 2020 ( Corona Year ) . I have 255/ 65 on 18 inch tires . 2019 Enclave Essence . This is my 3rd Enclave .

Want to update tires. Something that can take a bump smoothly without shattering teeth in the suburbs but silent ON the highway . Do these tires exist anymore ??

Tried GY Fuelsaver , Pirrelli Scorp and Mich Defenders and Lats in the past .

The Pirrelli tire is smooth as butter until you come across road irregularities..... then ouch ....
Mich Lats were good but not in my size now. ( of course not a good winter tire after a couple of years wear)

Don't care about track results, off road adventures , high speed turns etc ...lol...
Easy driving .

#2 ·
I would to add , viewing tire reviews at tire rack and others , I find it unnerving so many polar ( good review / bad review ) opposites on practically every tire .

This leads me to assume that many are fake or paid to troll by manufacturers . I dunno may be wrong of me ....

#3 ·
The problem with non-professional reviews is people are coming off their set of crappy, worn out, out of balance and probably cupped garbage tires onto new balanced tires. So every tire feels like it’s amazing compared to that so you get tons of, “OMG, these tires are amazing” reviews. Then you mix in some terrible reviews because some minimum wage tire jockey at Pep Boys tosses them on half an ounce out of balance and the driver blames the tires. This is why I try to stick to professional reviews for tires where they’re testing multiple tires back to back on the same vehicle under controlled test conditions.

#4 ·
Point of truth to that for sure .

I haven't seen any professional comparisons for comfort (think rough asphalt banging ) and noise ( highway speed ) together .

Honestly , I believe todays test pilots have little experience in a truly comfortable ride .More interest in road feel than isolation . That's why I am curious about real world feedback here .

#5 ·
The last two sets on my 2011 Enclave were Continental CrossContact LX20s. I was very impressed with the ride quality and quietness on the highway, handling on the turns and hills where I live, and their performance in the winter. Our 2018 Enclave came with them from the factory, which I was glad to see. I will replace the original set with the same.

#6 ·
Coco, you sound like me. My top priorities are ride comfort and noise comfort. And I've found that all these tires wear down well before their rated mileage anyway, so I go for the best riding and quietest tire. I've tried many of the tires you mention on various SUVs over the last 20 years, as well as other tires.

Michelin Defenders will last but that's because they are hard as a rock and ride that way as well. I know this because my mom's minivan had them.

Michelin Latitude Plus are pretty good, but as you say, they don't seem to be available in that size.

Pirrelli Scorpion Verde Plus A/S is more performance oriented, and the rubber seems hard to me.

So, I think your two best bets will be Michelin Premier LTX or Bridgestone Dueler Ecopia 422. I run the Michelin Premier LTX on my Hyundai Genesis, and I have run several sets of the Ecopia 422 on my Enclaves.

Bridgestone Dueler Ecopia 422 are the quietest and best riding tires I've ever run on my SUVs. The tread pattern is less aggressive than all these other tires, which is partly why they ride so quietly. You can see this in the pics at the link below. The tread pattern makes no sound or droning of its own. They will not be good snow tires, but, living in TX, I don't care about that. As to the negative Tire Rack reviews, those customers are looking for other qualities than I am. I am about to put a set of these on my 2016 Enclave.

Michelin Premier LTX are very good tires, but have a more aggressive tread pattern, which does make some droning noise going down the road. They ride very well and absorb impacts pretty well. One thing I don't like about them is that they come with only 8.5/32" tread depth, as opposed to most other tires' 10-11/32 tread depth.

You can see some of my earlier comments here from this thread from 2018.

#7 ·
So thinking to update this thread to todays standards 2020 ( Corona Year ) . I have 255/ 65 on 18 inch tires . 2019 Enclave Essence . This is my 3rd Enclave .

Want to update tires. Something that can take a bump smoothly without shattering teeth in the suburbs but silent ON the highway . Do these tires exist anymore ??

Tried GY Fuelsaver , Pirrelli Scorp and Mich Defenders and Lats in the past .

The Pirrelli tire is smooth as butter until you come across road irregularities..... then ouch ....
Mich Lats were good but not in my size now. ( of course not a good winter tire after a couple of years wear)

Don't care about track results, off road adventures , high speed turns etc ...lol...
Easy driving .
If you can find Uniroyal Tiger Paws, go for them. Uniroyal now owned by Michelin.

#9 ·
Tire Rack is iffy sometimes FYI . They removed my review . It was truthful . It was negative but truthful . Just so you know .

The Pirelli Sorpion Verde A/s plus 2 was dead quite but cant handle bumps and lateral joins in the road without producing a jarring ride .

I hope these don't mess up my suspension . Side note they have calmed down after 1500 miles but not satisfactory .

My 2 cents about these tires . Soft and hard at the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.