EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 40 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
REDCXL said:
I just heard that Doc Watson passed away. It was several days ago but I just heard today froma friend.
If you do not recognize the name, he was a pioneer in "flat picking" guitar. Blues, folk, bluegrass. A truly great musician and, from all accounts a fine human being.
I had the pleasure of seeing him in concert a few years ago. Good showman, and a "good old boy.
I had just heard about his passing as well.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Remember reading about this guy? How about the movie made about him?

Henry Hill spent much of his life as a "goodfella," believing his last moment would come with a bullet to the back of his head. In the end he died at a hospital after a long illness, going out like all the average nobodies he once pitied.

Hill, who went from small-time gangster to big-time celebrity when his life as a mobster-turned-FBI informant became the basis for the Martin Scorsese film "Goodfellas," died Tuesday at age 69, longtime girlfriend Lisa Caserta told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

http://www.activedayton.com/entertainment/former-goodfellas-gangster-henry-hill-dies-in-la-1390664.html

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I just read that

May he rest in peace

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Very sad day. He was one of my favorites. I still watch reruns almost every day. Good, clean, wholesome humor...

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Mayberry RFD, a direct continuation of The Andy Griffith Show, was caught in the "rural purge" on CBS around 1971.
It was canceled, even though it was number 4 in the ratings. Pat Buttram, Mr. Haney in Green Acres stated that anything with a tree in it was canceled. I remember it well, as many of my favorite shows were canceled.
MRBUICK

"By the late 1960s, ...many viewers, especially young ones, were rejecting [rural-themed] shows as irrelevant to modern times. Mayberry's total isolation from contemporary problems was part of its appeal, but more than a decade of media coverage of the civil rights movement had brought about a change in the popular image of the small Southern town. Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C., was set on a U.S. Marine base between 1964 and 1969, but neither Gomer nor any of his fellow soldiers ever mentioned the war in Vietnam. CBS executives, afraid of losing the lucrative youth demographic, purged their schedule of hit shows that were drawing huge but older-skewing audiences.

The purge was instigated by CBS executive Fred Silverman,[citation needed] following research highlighting the greater attraction to advertisers of the younger urban viewer demographic.[1] Their lack of relevance was referred to in Gil Scott-Heron's 1970 spoken-word piece The Revolution Will Not Be Televised, which alludes to at least seven of the shows that are eventually canceled as part of the purge, mentioning that as part of the titular revolution, the shows "will no longer be so damned relevant."

The numerous cancellations prompted Pat Buttram ("Mr. Haney" on one of the canceled shows, Green Acres) to make the observation: "It was the year CBS canceled everything with a tree—including Lassie";[2][3] Lassie actually survived the initial rural purge.

The first rurally-themed show canceled by Silverman was Petticoat Junction. In September 1970, The Mary Tyler Moore Show premiered on CBS. All in the Family premiered in January 1971 as a mid-season replacement. Both series provided the urban demographic, cutting-edge social relevance and ratings that CBS sought.[citation needed] These ratings successes prompted Silverman and the network to cancel Green Acres, The Beverly Hillbillies, Mayberry R.F.D., Hee Haw, Lassie, and The Jim Nabors Hour at the end of the 1970-71 season. Another series, The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour lasted until the end of the 1971-72 season.

ABC also was looking for younger audiences, and in May 1971 canceled shows that skewed toward rural viewers (such as The Johnny Cash Show) or older viewers (Make Room for Granddaddy and The Lawrence Welk Show). NBC also targeted rural and older oriented programs in its cuts, eliminating long-running programs such as Wild Kingdom, The Andy Williams Show and The Virginian, all of which ran nine seasons or more."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rural_purge

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I periodically would think about how old he was when I saw some of the Spongebob episodes with my children. I wonder who will take over the voice of Mermaid Man? This might seem like a cynical and oddly lighthearted comment in light of his passing, but it is not. Ernest Borgnine's voice was one of a kind.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
8-20-12
Good bye to Phillis Diller at age 95

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
She was the queen of facelifts.....I think she once said her chin was now over her nose :happy:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Jack Klugman of "The Odd Couple" and"Quincy" fame passed away today.

Also, let us not forget about the recent passing of Larry Hagman of " Dallas" and "I Dream of Jeannie" stardom.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
When I heard in the news that Mayor Koch was transfered to ICU yesterday, I knew that the end was likely very near. As so many are reporting in the local news today, he was truly "bigger than life". He was also a great example of persevering when all looks bleak. He raised NYC out from near bankruptcy in the late 1970s. His honesty and willingness to take criticism (remember, "How am I doing?) were a breath of fresh air amidst government bureaucracy, corruption, and deceit. Now, more than ever, we need leadership like that. He will be sorely missed. :(

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I am not familiar with her body of work, but it is always tragic to read when someone commits suicide.

·
Registered
435 Posts
It's so sad. So much talent, too. I hope she's found some rest after such a troubled life. God bless her, please.

21 - 40 of 244 Posts