EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the Enclave now has just under 1000K miles and today I decided to see how the Tow Haul Mode works on it. I do have this feature on my 2010 Silverado which also has the 6.2L and Max trailering package. When it is used in my truck it holds lower gears longer and downshifts faster when braking to help slow the load down. In the Enclave I am not seeing the same results at all. If I had to guess I would say it is not working.

So my question is to those of you that have this option in your Enclave. How does your's preform when you are using it? I think I might see a slight (and I mean very slight) rise in the rpms when up shifting. I do not see any difference in the down shifting pattarn at all. I am using all brakes and there is no engine/tranny help like it is in my truck. If this is how this system is supposed to work in an Enclave I don't see there being any reason to purchase this option other than the fact that it gives you a receiver.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
On my traverse (2010).
I Notice the difference mostly in 1st/2nd gear- where it holds the rpms longer and higher.

I have not towed-- so cant say what it does under load.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Though I don't have the tow option, I believe that others here have mentioned that the transmission stays in 5th gear while cruising for better throttle response.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rbarrios said:
On my traverse (2010).
I Notice the difference mostly in 1st/2nd gear- where it holds the rpms longer and higher.

I have not towed-- so cant say what it does under load.
Why does your post show that it's ignored? I had to click on the box under your profile info to see this. I don't have anyone ignored. I don't dislike anyone on here, seriously :happy: :happy:

Anyways, I did notice that it did seem to hold gears a little longer, not much and not really that noticable but a little.
GoldEnclave said:
Though I don't have the tow option, I believe that others here have mentioned that the transmission stays in 5th gear while cruising for better throttle response.
I did notice that it didn't seem to shift into 6th where is was before. My speeds where only around 45 tops when I was testing it though.

Is the Two-Haul-Mode supposed to down shift the transmission faster when braking to help slow down faster, taking some of the load off the brakes? That is how it works in my truck. In my truck there is a noticable difference in how high the RPM's go before it up shifts. This system in my Enclave doesn't really seem to be doing much of anything when it's on, seems like there is really no reason to pay the extra mony for the option if this is all it does.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I dont know why im 'ignored'/

It could be your trucks is set up for more aggresive towing.
Im sure its tow rating is wayyyyy above the Lambda.

·
Registered
440 Posts
small batch said:
. This system in my Enclave doesn't really seem to be doing much of anything when it's on, seems like there is really no reason to pay the extra mony for the option if this is all it does.
The trailer package also includes an upgrade to the vehicles cooling system and the trailer wiring harness. So I wouldn't call the extra money you spent on the package wasted.

Next time I go up into the mountains with the enclave I want to try out the "haul switch" to see if it helps on the downhill and reduces my braking. Right now I just manually downshift to avoid excess braking and the long descents.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rbarrios said:
I dont know why im 'ignored'/

It could be your trucks is set up for more aggresive towing.
Im sure its tow rating is wayyyyy above the Lambda.
I must had bumped the ignor tab when I moved the mouse over the screen. Stupid bump feature on the mouse pad on my laptop.

·
Registered
87 Posts
timmy said:
The trailer package also includes an upgrade to the vehicles cooling system and the trailer wiring harness. So I wouldn't call the extra money you spent on the package wasted.

Next time I go up into the mountains with the enclave I want to try out the "haul switch" to see if it helps on the downhill and reduces my braking. Right now I just manually downshift to avoid excess braking and the long descents.
My trailer dealer who hooked up my brake control and equalizer hitch was very impressed with the '13 Enclave....also they said that to add a tow package after rather than getting it right from the factory would be a nightmare. As far as I'm aware, the tow button only eliminates the 6th. gear change (but I'm not sure on this point)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tow/haul mode

Do any of you know if tow/haul mode can be added to a 2013 Enclave? I wanted to add a trans cooler, hitch, wiring and of course tow haul. Thanks.

·
Registered
406 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will be installing the tow package components as soon as they come in. It is pretty straightforward from the research I have done. But I did not (would not) talk to the dealer about doing it as they always seem to make things sound impossible. My Enclave came with a tow hitch already installed and because of my ignorance and that of the salesperson, I was lead to believe it had the tow package. I will be changing the fuse box under the hood to allow the installation of the necessary fuses and relays. Then installing the tow/haul switch in the dash and the brake controller. The plug-ins are all there, even for the 7 pin plug for the trailer hook-up. It is all pretty much plug and play. The only thing left is the heavy duty cooling which I am holding off right now because my wife will only be towing a 2500 lb vintage trailer and I really think I will be fine after reading posts from other people towing much more without it. I will be watching the transmission temps making sure it does not run too hot and if it does I will either add the HD radiator or an additional transmission cooler. The HD radiator is about $200 and the rest of the parts I have already ordered are about $360. It will take the tow capabilities from 2000 to 4500, mostly due to the tow/haul switch which changes the shift pattern. The HD cooling would be important if I was towing anything heavier and I may end up doing it anyway.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Even at 2500lbs I would not trust the tow/haul button to properly manage overdrive. I tow 4200lbs with ours all the time (sig pic) and just got back from a 200 mile tow of a mostly empty 6x12 uhaul and the trans would still try to shift to 6th on the highway but couldn't hold it on even the slightest of inclines resulting in way too much gear hunting (which means way too much heat in the trans). Much better off shifting down to L and locking the trans to 5th. You can do it right after you start the car and hit the tow/haul button and don't even have to wait until you're moving. It will still downshift just like usual and drives just like it was in D but as long as you use the little sport shift buttons on the side of the shifter to select 5th it will never shift into 6th.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Jay, good point. I need to teach my wife how to tow and have already gone over how to maintain the correct RPMs and shifting using the "L" selection. She has been practicing to get the hang of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have completed the towing upgrade on my 2012 Enclave. I have installed the new fuse/relay box, the tow/haul button, the 7-pin plug, and the brake controller. These are all plug and play components, it took about ten minutes to change out the fuse box and maybe five for the button. After doing this I took it for a test drive and the button definitely changed the shift points, it was very obvious. All of the parts to do this was under $400.00 and included everything except the HD radiator which would add another $200 and 2-3 hours of work. I will probably change that out in the spring even though I don't think I really need to for what we are hauling. My tow hitch was already installed on the car so I didn't need to do that which would have added another $150 or so. It is great that they set these cars up to add these parts and just plug them in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
Barkfire
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing