Stats
Load; Two Seadoo's and trailer @ about 2200#s
Distance; 480 miles
Mileage (DIC); 14.8 MPG - A/C on
Road; Typical 2 lane desert driving with rolling hills and washes
Speed; Cruise control on 63 MPH

Observations
Interior lights shut off after ten minutes with the tailgate open :thumb:;
The 'Park Assist' beepers shut off with the Tow/Haul engaged and won't function again until the trailer is disconected, even though the Tow/Haul has to be reset on every engine start :thumb:;
$10 seven/four wire adapter from Walmart required ;
The chain eyes are way undersized. GM? I had to buy a quick-link to route the safety chain through. I don't think chain hooks would clear either with a shank lock pin in place ???;
We really enjoyed the ride and had no rear end trailer slap or push;
The mirrors seemed perfect for this smaller load;
I even downshifted and passed a few Snowbirds, although it would have been easier with my V8 diesel ;);

Good Job Buick!

Wayne

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi Wayne,
Thanks for the towing observations!

I currently tow a small 2000# 21 Jet Boat with a Minivan. I had to add air lifts in th erear springs so that I wouldn't have the rear end sag, are there any issues with the Enclave? It doesn't have load leveling correct? My tounge weight is about 200# so it shouldn't be an issue....
Thanks,

John

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
johnt26 said:
Hi Wayne,
Thanks for the towing observations!

I currently tow a small 2000# 21 Jet Boat with a Minivan. I had to add air lifts in th erear springs so that I wouldn't have the rear end sag, are there any issues with the Enclave? It doesn't have load leveling correct? My tounge weight is about 200# so it shouldn't be an issue....
Thanks,

John
No detectable sag at all without levelers, but I haven't towed with 7 people & their gear in the vehicle.
I used to tow with my Pacifica, which had load leveling suspension, and I had to invert the shank with the ball up in order to tow level. With the Enclave, I reversed the shank down to the 'normal' position because the vehicle sits much higher. The one picture I posted of the trailer shows it tilted up before the shank reversal. I'm not sure of my tongue weight, but boats are generally around 8% of the load.

Wayne

·
Registered
34 Posts
All summer my family and I have been camping throughout Ontario and northwest New York state. Our trailer is a 21 foot long and 7 feet 8 inches wide. Fully loaded it weighs in at about 4100 pounds. The first half hour, the engine seems to labor a bit , but then the gear hunting seems to wind down to the point were driving starts to be a little more enjoyable.
The one thing that is a real pain in the butt, is the millage. I can watch the gauge go down. It reminds me of the muscle car era when millage was in the low teens. But then gas was almost free.
But I can say one thing. There wasn,t another tow vehicle that looked as good as the Enclave. :thumb:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Bradley said:
All summer my family and I have been camping throughout Ontario and northwest New York state. Our trailer is a 21 foot long and 7 feet 8 inches wide. Fully loaded it weighs in at about 4100 pounds. The first half hour, the engine seems to labor a bit , but then the gear hunting seems to wind down to the point were driving starts to be a little more enjoyable.
The one thing that is a real pain in the butt, is the millage. I can watch the gauge go down. It reminds me of the muscle car era when millage was in the low teens. But then gas was almost free.
But I can say one thing. There wasn,t another tow vehicle that looked as good as the Enclave. :thumb:
Bradley,

What kind of trailer do you have? I have a big motorhome, but we use it mostly for short trips, long weekends or maybe a week. I have been thinking about selling it and getting a small trailer to tow with the Enclave. The mileage has to be better than the 7-8 mpg I get with the m/h.

Shall

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Bradley said:
Hi. Just a Heads-up............you using the tow/haul dash switch? makes a big difference.

·
Registered
35 Posts
:thumb:

I picked up my Enclave AWD with towing package in January 2008. Since that time I have logged in about 13000 miles. With no trouble. I have towed an aerodynamic travel trailer on several trips and this accounts for about half of my mileage. Longest trip was from NY state to Florida last winter. On the way back from Georgia to NY state logged in at 12.3 MPG calculated using readings on pumps and mileage travelled. Enclave was a pleasure to drive. Never downshifted below 3rd. Held back very well on the downhills (mountains). Used tow haul mode all the time when towing and locked out 6th gear. Pain in the ass to have to key this in after every stop. Oh I should tell you, trailer weighs in loaded at 7700 lbs with a tonge weight of 975 lbs. Yes I use a equalizer hitch. (reese dual cam) The Gm supplied hitch was reinforced by my trailer dealer. No I am not crazy. Towed same trailer with 2 different minivans for 9 years prior to this logging in 40,000 miles with no trouble. I did add an auxilary tranny cooler to all vehicles including the enclave. I found that the standard issue tires in the CX handled the weight better when pressure was increased to 40 lbs.

Yes I would recommend the Enclave for towing requirements. But I have averaged at least one query a day to the effect "You tow that with this?"

Cheers. :cheers:

·
Registered
344 Posts
woodytwo said:

I picked up my Enclave AWD with towing package in January 2008. Since that time I have logged in about 13000 miles. With no trouble. I have towed an aerodynamic travel trailer on several trips and this accounts for about half of my mileage. Longest trip was from NY state to Florida last winter. On the way back from Georgia to NY state logged in at 12.3 MPG calculated using readings on pumps and mileage travelled. Enclave was a pleasure to drive. Never downshifted below 3rd. Held back very well on the downhills (mountains). Used tow haul mode all the time when towing and locked out 6th gear. Pain in the ass to have to key this in after every stop. Oh I should tell you, trailer weighs in loaded at 7700 lbs with a tonge weight of 975 lbs. Yes I use a equalizer hitch. (reese dual cam) The Gm supplied hitch was reinforced by my trailer dealer. No I am not crazy. Towed same trailer with 2 different minivans for 9 years prior to this logging in 40,000 miles with no trouble. I did add an auxilary tranny cooler to all vehicles including the enclave. I found that the standard issue tires in the CX handled the weight better when pressure was increased to 40 lbs.

Yes I would recommend the Enclave for towing requirements. But I have averaged at least one query a day to the effect "You tow that with this?"

Cheers. :cheers:
Woody,

Just want to confirm your numbers, 7700 lbs. trailer weight, 975 lbs tongue weight? It handles well? The Enclave pulls the trailer, the trailer doesn't push the car? Man, if this is correct, I guess maybe I am OK with a 4500 to 5000lb. GVW trailer.

What did they do to beef up the factory hitch? So you added an additional tranny cooler, but kept the existing tow package auxiliary cooler as well?

Thanks for the info.

JR

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi

Weights are correct. The auxilary tranny sits in front of all the rad & a/c condenser. Factory installed trailer towing package includes (as far as I know) a larger rad with a larger tranny cooler built in. I took the trany return connection and routed this to the auxilary cooler and then out of here to the tranny. I should tell all that the Enclave was recommended to me by the RV dealer. What makes the Enclave an excellent tow vehicle is the wheelbase vs the length of the vehicle, small length of overhang behind the rear wheels, the v6 tried and true in the cadilac, the 6 speed tranny, the low rpm torque and the independant suspension. The factory hitch was reinforced by removing the spare tire and welding a "u" shaped metal rod from the middle of the hitch to a point of the body nearest the rear axle. This reinforces the hitch and moves the pivot point closer to the axle (which is what you want). Spare tire hangs about 3 inches lower but this is not a problem. You never get the feeling of the trailer pushing the Enclave. Trailer brakes are set to go on just prior to the brakes of the Enclave so if anything the trailer has a "pulling" effect on the Enclave when braking. Strange but true I don't seem to feel the trailer behind me after about the first 20 minutes. Please note that if I was not pulling the very aerodynamic trailer and was pulling a "Box" type trailer than weight would need to be closer to the 4500 lbs. hopes this helps.

ps. I now know of 2 other people from this same dealer who are pulling an identicle set-up.

:)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Woody,

Just a couple more questions if I may. First, what about mirrors? Did you find a good clip on type mirror that fits on the side mirrors, or did you have to modify the stock mirror some way?

Second, what kind of trailer are you pulling? I have not yet bought a trailer, and am looking around for what would be best. I've been considering the trail manor. It is a pop up, but with hard sides. It looks like it would be easy to tow, with a lot of room for the weight, but I'm not excited about the trade-offs of the pop up.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

JR

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi JR.

I tow an Airstream silver bullet. this is an aluminum hard sided full size trailer. We travel throughout the us and canada for several months at a time. For what you are looking at you will not have any problems pulling any reputable pop up trailer and will probably not require an equalizer type hitch either. I use a set of Mcquesh auxiliary mirrors that strap to the front doors of the Enclave. The trailer that i tow is 102 inches wide. You will not need these since your trilaer is probably going to be around 84 inches wide. You can get a strap on mirror that straps onto the Enclave's outside mirrors. I have used these successfully when I towed a pop up years ago. Also you will not need an auxiliary tranny cooler either. However, if you move up to a hard sided travel trailer from a pop up that is a whole new ballgame. Lots of luck. Make sure you talk to several dealers and check out the variuous webs sites as well.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi Woody,

Thanks for the good info.

What I was looking at is a hard sided pop up, but I'm not real excited about the tradeoffs, such as flimsy bathroom walls, no upper cabinets, everything must be kept below counter height, etc.

The other thing we've looked at is an ultra lightweight TT in the 21 to 24 foot range. Any shorter and you give up too much in the available floorplans. The ones we saw are all around 5000 to 5500 lb. gross weight. Maybe the thing to do would be to find a dealer with the model we want, and give it a tow to see how it feels.

JR

1 - 12 of 12 Posts