EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying a used 2018--2019 Enclave that can tow 4000 pounds. I know from prior experience that fwd won't work so it will need to be awd. The Buick website says a towing package is available that will increase the towing capacity to 5000 pounds. It says the towing package is improved engine cooling equipment, nothing more. There is a long list of available extra cost "accessories" like a wiring harness, trailer hitch, trailer ball, etc. I want to know how to tell if a used Enclave has the towing package. I can buy and install all of those "accessories" myself if they are not already installed. I searched long and hard for a VIN decoder that would tell me but it was a waste of time. How can I tell if a used Enclave has the towing package (improved engine cooling)? I would also like to know what equipment is included in the towing package. Engine oil cooler, bigger radiator, more powerful radiator fan?

·
Super Moderator
500 Posts
The easiest way I found to identify a tow package Enclave vs non-tow package that someone just slapped a hitch on was look for the tow/haul button in the interior shots of the sale listing.

I would highly recommend finding a factory tow package vs trying to cobble one together yourself for the warranty. It doesn't matter what you add later on, even if it's every single OEM part that would make the car just like a factory tow package car. As far as the warranty is concerned if it didn't have a tow package at the factory the tow capacity is only 1500lbs. If you have a drivetrain failure in warranty and the dealer finds towing bits you added there's a good chance you're going to be in for a fight to get anything covered.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I could never find out exactly what the improved engine cooling included, but in addition the tow package has the Tow Mode option which changes the shift pattern and activates trailer sway control, and of course the hitch receiver and 7-pin and 4-pin connections are installed. Also FYI, they stupidly decided not to include a brake controller connector. Supposedly the bare wires to splice your controller into are located behind the left driver's kick panel somewhere.

As far as identifying a used vehicle, I would look specifically for "Factory Tow Package" in the description and the Tow Mode button as was mentioned.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
V92 has been the OPTION code for tow package.
on the GEN 1, the tow package came with improved cooling.
What this meant was a heavy duty radiator that had either more columns of coolant passages and or more fins to dissipate heat better.
I remember a member bought the heavy duty radiator and swapped them. I believe he said the radiators were dimensionally the same- but the differences were in the fins etc.
Coolant capacity was the same...
It was just better at dissipating heat. (and since the trans fluid flows through it-- also improved cooling for the trans fluid too).

For the 2018-2019 models- I believe you have to use a QR scanner-- to read the list of RPO codes.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
QR Code on Certification Label Offers More RPO Codes

Posted on May 21, 2018
Beginning with the 2018 model year, a QR code was added to the Certification label (Fig. 3) on all Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC models. The new QR code includes the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), RPO codes and other information that identify the content of the vehicle. In previous model years, the Service Parts Identification (SPID) label, often located in the trunk or glovebox of a vehicle, included this information.

The two-dimensional QR code is a simple barcode that offers the former SPID information in a digital format. The Certification label on all GM models is located on the driver-side B pillar, with the exception of the Corvette where it’s on the driver’s door.

QR Code Reader
Software to read the QR code is commonly available for any Android, iPhone or Windows smartphone. Many basic applications can be downloaded for free. Tested QR code readers that are easy to use include NeoReader by NM LLC, i-nigma by 3GVision, QR Scanner by Honestly App, QR Droid by DroidLa and Bar-Code by PW2. GM does not recommended any particular software.
TIP: If the vehicle information needs to be retained for service records or shared with others, most scanner software also has a feature to email the data.
For U.S. dealerships, an OPTICON Bluetooth Companion Scanner (2D Imager), tool number PX-20, is available from www.gmdesolutions.com. The scanner works with a USB cable or is connected via Bluetooth to a laptop.

More RPO Codes Added
Once the QR code is scanned, the vehicle information will appear in the following order: VIN, Model Year, Model, Build Month, Year, Engineering Book, Vehicle Order Number, 3 Digit RPO Codes sorted alphanumerically, and the Paint Code (the paint code also appears in the lower left of the QR code). (Fig. 4)

For example, here’s the information as shown from a scanned QR code:

The commas indicate separation of information; however, the RPOs do not have comma separation. Instead, the RPO codes are separated by a space. The RPO codes also are bolded in the example, but not in the actual information displayed from the QR code.
The commas after the paint code indicate the database of the paint code. There are four databases. The example shows the paint code was retrieved from the first database.
Up to 48 RPO codes may be displayed from the scanned QR code. It does not include all the RPO codes as displayed in the Investigate Vehicle History.
RPO descriptions can be found in the appropriate Service Information under General Information. The following table lists the RPO family descriptions that may be included on the vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the useful information! I was misled by the Buick website which does not mention the towing button and the different shifting program it enables. I forgot that it says it also includes the trailer hitch. I looked at the online owner's manual and it confirmed what JayS said. Now I know what to look for.

·
Super Moderator
500 Posts
Nice thing about the button is the majority of the time dealers interior pictures will include a shot that lets you see if the button is there or not. Makes finding one on autotrader etc a lot quicker. The Enclave we bought didn’t mention anything about towing in the dealer’s listing but it was a factory tow package car. On the flip side I also found dealer listings that specifically mentioned the tow capacity of tow package cars on non tow package Enclaves. Bottom line, never trust a salesman when it comes to option packages and tow capacity.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know this isn’t pertinent to what you’re looking for but when I bought my used 2014 in 2016 I used cargurus. In the dealers listing it stated factory tow package and pictures showed the tow/haul button. When I picked it up I noticed an extra wire harness in the glove box along with the original window sticker that showed the tow package. I’m guessing that’s for the trailer brake. I’ve never towed anything close to the 4500lb capacity so I’ve not had to worry about the trailer brake.

Only issue I had was there was no 4 pin harness factory installed. Climbed under it and looked everywhere. Now I use an adaptor that plugs into the 7pin. I would like to get a smaller camper to pull and I guess I’ll be asking how to splice in the trailer brake at that time.

Good luck in your search ZZZ

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this isn’t pertinent to what you’re looking for but when I bought my used 2014 in 2016 I used cargurus. In the dealers listing it stated factory tow package and pictures showed the tow/haul button. When I picked it up I noticed an extra wire harness in the glove box along with the original window sticker that showed the tow package. I’m guessing that’s for the trailer brake. I’ve never towed anything close to the 4500lb capacity so I’ve not had to worry about the trailer brake.

Only issue I had was there was no 4 pin harness factory installed. Climbed under it and looked everywhere. Now I use an adaptor that plugs into the 7pin. I would like to get a smaller camper to pull and I guess I’ll be asking how to splice in the trailer brake at that time.

Good luck in your search ZZZ

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a 2019 Buick Enclave with a factory installed towing pkg. The owners manual said I needed to get a technician to install a 12volt line to the battery for the brake controller. Went by a dealer to get clarification on this
install and he had no idea what to do but send everything out to a subcontractor. I couldn't imagine they would run wires
from the 7 pt. hookup without the other wires for the trailer brakes, lights etc. The wires were all there and hooked up
to the battery, so with ignition on, the aux. line was hot , the running lights were hot,and everything semed to be there.
The trailer brake wires are there under the left foot rest held down by 3 whit plastic nuts. When I first unwraped them
they had been dipped in black plastic and I thought I was working without the benefit of color coded wires. But when
I started to stip the wires, the black plastic was just a temp. cover over the wire tips. They were coded exactly as the
owners manual said. Everything is working and now to get myself to install the brake controller without messing up the
dash. Unlike other cars I own, the brake lights do not work w/o the ignition on. So in checking your controller, turn on the
ignition. I did manage to blow a fuse and found out there is a 10amp fuse just for the trailer letf turn signal and brake light located under the hood on drivers side. Hope this helps somebody.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you saying that the battery connection was already made even though the manual says otherwise?

Any chance you got a picture of where the wires are located?
Yes, it was already hooked up to the battery and I did not find any add-on terminals near the battery that did
not look factory done. As I connected the four wires, I checked them with what the manual said they were as
I hooked up the controller. The only puzzle was the brake light wire. All the other controller I have used had
current when you stepped on the brake peddle. On this car. the brake light will not go on without the ignition
on, with the controller hook up or with it detached from the car. As you may have gathered, I'm electronically
challenged and hesitate to give much advice on something I'm not good at. However, there was a photo posted
that showed the wires with the black fabric wrapped around the wires that was exactly what I found but mine was
under the plastic step on the left side of the floor. You'll see the difference when you get in there because the other
wires are wrapped with the more common black electrical tape. Hope this is of some help to you.

·
Registered
365 Posts
V92 has been the OPTION code for tow package.
on the GEN 1, the tow package came with improved cooling.
What this meant was a heavy duty radiator that had either more columns of coolant passages and or more fins to dissipate heat better.
I remember a member bought the heavy duty radiator and swapped them. I believe he said the radiators were dimensionally the same- but the differences were in the fins etc.
Coolant capacity was the same...
It was just better at dissipating heat. (and since the trans fluid flows through it-- also improved cooling for the trans fluid too).

For the 2018-2019 models- I believe you have to use a QR scanner-- to read the list of RPO codes.
My V92 Tow package has the Aux trans cooler that you can see in the lower passenger side opening along with all the rest of the Tow package equipment.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
My V92 Tow package has the Aux trans cooler that you can see in the lower passenger side opening along with all the rest of the Tow package equipment.

redvett, that small rectangular radiator up front- is the Power Steering Cooler.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm jumping in a little late here but I'm hoping get some advice and feedback on this subject.
Background: I'm driving a 2017 Enclave, NO factory TOW package. Low mileage (24k miles) as it was a family members vehicle who passed so the major transm and drive train warranties are still valid. I'm looking at hauling a pop-up camper that has a listed Dry Weight of 2870 # and tongue weight of 220 #.
*If i decide to void warranties and go rogue-----I'm interested in dissecting the V92 tow package:
Is it safe to say that the main and major upgrade is the Heavy Duty Radiator which also has the built in Transmission Cooling system? The other main upgrades are the tow switch, which could be added using this replacement multi-switch ? And of course the GM hitch and bolts etc.
Let me know what you all think. Am I crazy to try this? Should I trade in for a TOW equipped Enclave?! Thanks and safe driving

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am interested in buying a used 2018--2019 Enclave that can tow 4000 pounds. I know from prior experience that fwd won't work so it will need to be awd. The Buick website says a towing package is available that will increase the towing capacity to 5000 pounds. It says the towing package is improved engine cooling equipment, nothing more. There is a long list of available extra cost "accessories" like a wiring harness, trailer hitch, trailer ball, etc. I want to know how to tell if a used Enclave has the towing package. I can buy and install all of those "accessories" myself if they are not already installed. I searched long and hard for a VIN decoder that would tell me but it was a waste of time. How can I tell if a used Enclave has the towing package (improved engine cooling)? I would also like to know what equipment is included in the towing package. Engine oil cooler, bigger radiator, more powerful radiator fan?
Easiest way is to look in the fuse box and see if there is a fuse in the location that says it’s for trailer lights. After market systems won’t go through the fuse box but factory will.

·
Super Moderator
500 Posts
With the better cooling and the upgraded tow/haul switch that changes the transmission programming I wouldn’t be concerned with towing that pop up. You’ll likely have to put it in manual mode and shift to 5 to keep 6th locked out on the highway like I do towing my boat. 6th is too high and tow haul mode is too dumb to lock it out. Trans will hunt between 5th and 6th on even the slightest inclines and that hunting is a recipe for trans overheating. The good news is in “manual” mode it once you select 5th it drives just like a 5 speed auto.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts