EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new here and want to hear if anyone has towing experience with later models 2018-2021.
The 2021 has max tow weight of 5,000. I’m considering purchasing a travel trailer (haven’t ever owned one)and would like to know what is the maximum dry weight that is safe to tow. I’m looking at campers around 4,500. Is that too close to the maximum? I don’t want to ruin the tranny on my brand new vehicle. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
IMO, depends on where you’ll be towing. Mountains, I’d be looking for a lighter trailer or an SUV in the 7000+ towing range. Relatively flat lands with some hills here and there should be fine. Remember, the lawyers had to sign off on that rating and we’re in lawyer infested America. There’s plenty of cushion built into that 5k rating. It’s why you see camper trailers being towed by much smaller vehicles, including regular sedans and hatches in other countries.

Also depends on if you want to tow at 80 like you would without a trailer. The difference between how hard my Enclave works towing my 4500lb rig at 65 and 75 is huge. My usual tow speed is 67 in a 65 zone. NY doesn’t have anything higher than 65 but even if we did 67 with the top gear locked out is about all she’s comfortable doing. If you want to go 75-80 you need a LOT more truck, like a full sized 2500 series.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your insight. I would be traveling less than one hundred miles so im pretty comfortable with a 4500lb trailer.
I have read several posts about installing a brake controller and it sounds like Buick doesn’t make this easy.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks for your insight. I would be traveling less than one hundred miles so im pretty comfortable with a 4500lb trailer.
I have read several posts about installing a brake controller and it sounds like Buick doesn’t make this easy.
No, unfortunately the idiots at GM did not make installing a brake controller easy. There are a few threads here explaining what to do, but basically you have to either find the bare wires behind the driver's side panel and splice them into your controller, or simply purchase the Curt wireless controller.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Installing the brake controller is relatively easy. There are blunt end wires taped to a wire bundle toward the lower left floorboard under the plastic foot rest. Remove the 2 bolts for the foot rest for easier access. There are only 4 wires to splice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts