EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to do get some ice cream with my best friend (his pic is to the left 8) ) to celebrate my new grill an mirror. lol and i was cruzin along doing about 50 and i went to L to pass sombody but on my way back up to D up i was distracted and SHIFTED IN TO R, my inital thoughts were o S (you know the rest) i have just wrecked a tranny and caused a 10 car pile up, NOPE the tranny kept me going in forward and it revved like i was in N, so it tells me it eather takes a long time to shift in to reverse or it wont shift enless your going really slow or stopped. or god was on this fools side. one of the three, if it is a idiot proof tranny then its another reason im glad we got the enclave. i dont reccommend trying it incase im wrong but if its there than GO GM AND BUICK. :cheers:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yes, this has actually been a standard feature in many vehicles for a while now...just for "cases" like that :thumb:

Same deal with the starter protection, which essentially kills function of the ignition cylinder if you were to try cranking it again after running--that became standard, in most, in recent years as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
caddycruiser said:
Yes, this has actually been a standard feature in many vehicles for a while now...just for "cases" like that :thumb:

Same deal with the starter protection, which essentially kills function of the ignition cylinder if you were to try cranking it again after running--that became standard, in most, in recent years as well.

well what ever im glad it was there, i have never been in a car wreck that was my fault , this would have definatly been serious and my fault . one thing about the starter, i noticed that using the remote start and tried it again, but when i turn the key more than once after its running i get a SERVICE STABILITY SYS MESSAGE on the dic and it wont go away until restarted, but only if i turn the key after its running.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
CAUTION! Above is true, from what I know and have seen. However that big centor console holds alot of stuff, when it's slid backwards, and if you have anything large sitting there, say a Schnitzer's Rye, you can push the gear handle VERY easily forward to NEUTRAL. If Cruise Control is "on" and radio is cranking, you may not hear engine go "redline" as the C/C tries to achieve set speed! The dash RPM guage will tell you, but even 10-15 seconds of wild revving would be "bad".

Now that would make be a good safety switch needed situation, if ever. My other auto's don't have either. Be aware.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smokin SRX said:
CAUTION! Above is true, from what I know and have seen. However that big centor console holds alot of stuff, when it's slid backwards, and if you have anything large sitting there, say a Schnitzer's Rye, you can push the gear handle VERY easily forward to NEUTRAL. If Cruise Control is "on" and radio is cranking, you may not hear engine go "redline" as the C/C tries to achieve set speed! The dash RPM guage will tell you, but even 10-15 seconds of wild revving would be "bad".

Now that would make be a good safety switch needed situation, if ever. My other auto's don't have either. Be aware.

um, is that supposed to be a big sandwhich whith rye bread ??? ??? ???, but yes i had the windows down, the sunroof open, the radio on, but paid attention to my tach, the second i went in to R the rpms went to 1000 from 4000 ( i was passing). but i was in r for like 2 seconds and went right back to D.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Smokin SRX said:

Ummm, I haven't tested this in the Enclave, but in all my other GM cars....when you shift to Neutral the Cruise Control disengages. I would think that would be the case in the Enclave as well.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Smokin SRX said:

Maybe I don't understand what you are saying here, but there is a feature on the Enclave that prevents you from revving over 4000 RPM. Try it, put it in neutral and rev, once you get to 4000 it will go back down to prevent you from redlining. If I have misunderstood you and you already know this, I am sorry. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ccaats said:
Ummm, I haven't tested this in the Enclave, but in all my other GM cars....when you shift to Neutral the Cruise Control disengages. I would think that would be the case in the Enclave as well.
yes it does , and you know how they said dont use cruse control in the rain, well the enclave wont let you if its wet, and if your driving with cruse control and it starts to rain, if your wheels start to slip, it deactivates it.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Rollin Thunder + Black Bandit said:
yes it does , and you know how they said dont use cruse control in the rain, well the enclave wont let you if its wet, and if your driving with cruse control and it starts to rain, if your wheels start to slip, it deactivates it.
That must only be on FWD models. I used cruise during the rain yesterday for about 150 miles and it never disengaged on me. We have AWD.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
ccaats said:
That must only be on FWD models. I used cruise during the rain yesterday for about 150 miles and it never disengaged on me. We have AWD.
Me too, have never heard of cruise not working in rain. In this in the manual?

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Don't you guys get those paranoia emails that go around? This one's been around for a while.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/c/cruisecontrol.htm

:repost: Maybe I should have read this thread better before posting this. The link discusses whether you should/should not use cruise control in the rain. It does not discuss whether cruise control automatically disengages in the rain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
but i have awd too, i acully read it in my denali manual and the acadia manual, i dont see it in the enclave manual, i just thought it was a gm thing all the way around, but i guess its just a gmc thing. sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
WOW! good answers! ( Schnitzer's rye is from Seinfeld! A classic!!)

I never tried to rev it past 3,000 in neutral, but I sure have done it in Drive ;) Glad to hear that there's a safety, in Neutral, to prevent over-revving.

Mine does NOT turn OFF the C/C ,if you hit the gear lever into neutral, while cruising in Drive!! It did stop around 4300 RPM's however,and stayed there. Not thrilled with that either however. Will definitely watch the gear lever while driving! The Reverse "non-engage" feature, while driving is cool. But I'm less concerned there, as you must press the shift button in to do that. I'll take your word on this feature, however ;)

Lastly, yes, most GM and other newer auto's have a feature where the Cruise Control DOES work in the rain, but............if the Traction/Stabilitrac engages, even for an instant, Cruise turns OFF. Now that's a good safety as you wouldn't want those wheels spinning as you're sliding on ice/hydroplaning in rain,at 60 MPH!!

Thanks for all the info guys!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Mine does NOT turn OFF the C/C ,if you hit the gear lever into neutral, while cruising in Drive!! It did stop around 4300 RPM's however,and stayed there. Not thrilled with that either however.
That is interesting, every GM car I have owned turned off the Cruise when shifting to neutral. I wonder why they changed that?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
every gm car i have had when you shift in to any thing other than d, it cancels cruise control, another thing about using it in the rain is when the car starts to slide you loose traction and loose speed, well all the cruise control cares about is keeping you at your set speed, so not only are your wheels spinning the THERE ACCELRIATING, which makes hidroplaining WORSE.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
RT, if your tires are spinning, the C/C DOES turn off on mine, (Trac or Stabil lite comes on) as evidenced on some sand, awhile back. That should easily save us on ice!

CCatts , I have the Enclave today (probably needs gas!) and I will safely try the C/C "shut-off", when pushed into Neutral, again. (I.E....pushing shift handle into N while doing 55MPH, in Drive, w/C/C ON) Last time engine just revved up! (to about 4200RPM before I hit brakes.
I may have a defect??

Thx for advisories :thumb:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Driving down the road at 55 MPH in CC. Shifted into neutral and my cruise immediately shutoff, RPMs rose slightly to just above 2000 and then dropped to idle speed. In addition, in neutral reved the car, it WILL NOT GO higher than 4000 RPMs even if you floor the accelerator.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Seems like the car should not go into reverse unless you have the break engaged. My Jetta locks out reverse when the car is moving forward, you have to stop push the break then put it in reverse. It is nice to see that the Enclave won't go into reverse but really it's should even let you think you did.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts