EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The transfer case fell out of my 2011 buick enclave on Friday doing about 30 maybe 35 on a straight road. I thought I ran over a bike or that someone had threw a little pipe bomb under my car. I pulled over to a stop almost immediately. Has anyone ever seen this happen. Does anyone know ig I most likely need to replace the transfer case or the transfer case and transmission. I still owe a out 8 grand on this car. Thanks.
IMG_20200725_223019_493.jpg

·
Super Moderator
552 Posts
How in the he**???

Without getting in there to see what happened to all the bolts that connect the transfer case to the transmission it's hard to say how much is going to need to be replaced. I've honestly never seen a transfer case just fall out like this. Had the car ever had major service before and it's possible a tech never properly torqued the bolts connecting it? I'm wondering if something failed internally jamming the transfer case and resulting shock to the drivetrain because the car was moving just sheared it loose. Definitely update us on this.

This guy is a little off but the video shows removing and installing the transfer case and it's not like it's just held in there by a couple tiny bolts...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Their was a bit of a whirring sound a day orvtwo earlier but only with rmthe ac on. I got it last fall and put on 40,000 miles in 9 months. Other than oil changes, just tires, a sensor, tie rods, pads, rotors, alignment. Nothing huge.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
704 Posts
How about a little history of the vehicle. how many miles were on it when you got it? Do you know if has any work been done on it with the last couple of years? Was that plate with the four bolts in place? How could it have gotten past that? Any service records on it or the carfax?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It happened to me. I have a 2008 AWD. The wave plate gave out at about 121,000 miles and I replaced the transmission at a Boston area Chey dealer. Last Dec I heard a loud "bang" and felt a shudder in a parking lot. I limped into a local garage. While the Tech was driving it into the bay a piece of the case fell off. Upon examination, a couple of the bolts were missing, a couple broken and a I think two were loose.

It was 80,000 miles since the wave plate replacement. I contacted the Chevy dealer Service Manager and he replied it was impossible, too many miles since the repair.He said if it was a torque issue it would have broken after 100 miles. I had it towed to a to NH Chevy dealer and the Service Manager thought it was caused by improper installation of the bolts, but he said it would be impossible to prove and I agree.

While I'm surprised it happened, my career in Jet Engine Field Maintenance presented many, many torque related failures. The list of things that can go wrong tightening critical parts is long. Over-torque being the most common, improper lubrication, not following stitch-torque patterns, reusing stretched threads, dis-similar metal, corrosion not cleaned off thread, etc. The list goes on and on.

So for the high milers out there, here is a little more info as I approach 200,000 miles.

In addition to the above, I recently replaced the original throttle body and original water pump.
I just replaced the serpentine belt as a precaution.

I've replaced numerous light bulbs, but have the original headlights.

Original struts and bushing replaced before 100,000.

Sunroof water leak is a yearly problem.

The factory wheels are a weak spot in the Northeast with salt treated roads. They corrode and get thin until they leak. I even had a stem blow out of the wheel on a highway last year. A corroded part inside was all that was left. Also had a broken rear spring with corrosion in the crack.

The good news...

Original PS pump and rack, alternator, starter, plugs and coils. Never had to service the A/C. Everything except the map works (doesn't read the disk anymore).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts