EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 Clave, about 130K miles, wave plate replaced about 40K, fluid replaced in the last 10K miles.

While driving up very steep windy roads in the NC mountains (Boone) for about 20 minutes I noticed a strong burning rubber smell after we parked when we reached our destination. I checked the oil and the stick was very hot. Later in the day I checked the tranny fluid. It was full and pink, but when I smelled the stick it was the same smell when we parked the car earlier. The engine coolant temp gauge never went about 210 degrees. The coolant reservoir level was unchanged from the beginning to the end of our 650 mile trip.

I haven't noticed any unusual shifting issues.

BTW does the 08 have an auto downshift feature when going down steep grades?

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
I believe the 08's have a hold system so that the car doesn't run away freely down hill. Meaning, you can literally take your foot off the gas and it will hold it's steady speed. The only auto downshift would be dropping into L and manually using g the buttons on the side of the gear shifter. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
I know the 09+ have the descent assist.

THe 08 may be similar.
If youre in D, and going downhill, and youre applying the brakes- the computer- will help you- by downshifting.
Youll notice the RPMs go up.

If you dont want this- Shift to L, and 6.

Or before you hit the hills, shift to L6, and the feature is deactivated. Youll notice the vehicle roll down the hill without the computer helping you

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know the 09+ have the descent assist.

THe 08 may be similar.
If youre in D, and going downhill, and youre applying the brakes- the computer- will help you- by downshifting.
Youll notice the RPMs go up.

If you dont want this- Shift to L, and 6.

Or before you hit the hills, shift to L6, and the feature is deactivated. Youll notice the vehicle roll down the hill without the computer helping you
Any thoughts about the Tranny smell and possible overheating? I don't have the towing package that I believe has the additional tranny cooler.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just going up hills should not be causing the transmission to overheat. I've honestly never seen a stock modern vehicle overheat it's transmission when it wasn't towing something. Overheating usually happens when the transmission has to hunt between gears constantly while towing, preventing the torque converter from locking up. That slipping of the converter combined with the extra load generates a lot of heat.

I did see a weird thread on the Acadia forum with an overheating trans but it was a severely neglected vehicle (guy admitted to driving for 2 months with the "change oil" message up and it was over 2 quarts low when he finally checked it). He was turning around 3k RPM at 70-75 and in the end the trans cooler lines got replaced because they were corroded to the point they weren't flowing much. After that the RPM settled down to the normal 2k @ 75 and his overheating stopped. The theory was the lines were so full the trans wasn't getting the right pressures and causing trouble with it getting into 6th gear. Seems odd but his RPM did drop back down after.

https://www.acadiaforum.net/8-gmc-acadia/9148-after-2hr-highway-trans-overheating-idle-engine-message.html

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
I would check the lines from trans going to the radiator- and anything on the trans for signs of small leak.

Say- drops. That could cause enough of a smell.

The vehicles with tow kit- do NOT have an additional trans cooler attached somewhere in the front.

The additional cooling- is done with a heavy duty radiator.
The HD radiator has better cooling capacity (either more columns or row of fins). The engine radiator and trans cooling are combined in 1 unit. Thats why the trans cooling lines connect to what is the 'radiator'.

In front of the vehicle- you will see small rectangular cooler. This is the Power Steering cooler- many folks think its the trans cooler that provides additional cooling for the V92 tow option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
rbarrios
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing