EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here we go again
i set out for an hour and a half trip and in the middle of it,
i was going up a steep incline and the engine started to bog and the transmission light came on .
last time the light shut off after a few start ups like the manual said maybe due to new gas fil up/loose gas cap.
well this time i'm not taking chances .
I'm a little pissed about this .i just hit 2300 mi. and already twice.
i'm also starting to feel the same way as others on here about the crap hesitant transmission.
i'm now starting to drive it more and the weak tranny is starting to get to me.the up shifts and down shifts are pathetic.
i'm wasting my monday morning now and losing work pay to take this to service .
Trying to stay positive :banghead:

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

I just came back from a 700 mile round trip. Overall feel was good. But as I have mentioned before, they REALLY need to fix that transimission.

Anyone who has been on CT-15 (meritt parkway) in Connecticut, knows the steep hills in the way (not a big deal in any other vehilce I have ever owned). I had 4 adults and 2 kids in the vehicle and some other stuff. I was able to manage most of the hills by pressing the gas and forcing it to downshift, which occured 2-4 seconds later each time noticing my pressure. But one of them was really made me nervous. It was a very steep climb, I had already downshifted 2 seconds ago to pass, and then I came on to this hill, at this time the transmission literaly refused to downshift further and traffic was flowing at 70+ MPH, I am in the left lane and the speed is going down, way down almost hitting 45 MPH and the cars behind me start to come very close, luckily I was close to the top of the hill and was able to speed up from that point on (slowly though).

I think they need to fix it and they need to fix it fast!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Coop, ours never did what you described just some gear hunting while climbing hills, it didn't matter if the cruise was set or not it would eventually get to "passing gear". I still agree that the transmission needs some fine tuning though, it gets a little old after awhile.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
coldtex said:
it didn't matter if the cruise was set or not it would eventuallyget to "passing gear". I still agree that the transmission needs some fine tuning though, it gets a little old after awhile.
I don't want it to do it eventually, rather as soon as I press gas.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was talking about while the cruise was set, if I pressed the gas to the floor on a hill it would down shift whether in cruise or not. The part of your post I was referring to was when you slowed down to 45 in the left lane, that's kinda strange.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Transmission light on Again for 2nd time!!UGH!!! ****UPDATE****

just got the vehicle back
they said it's OK. i'll write to you what the description says:

cause:Bulletin
K9450 control solenoid valve and transmission control module assembly
cleaning
Maybe someone understands this or works for GM

·
Registered
24 Posts
Re: Transmission light on Again for 2nd time!!UGH!!! ****UPDATE****

Joe-drum said:
just got the vehicle back
they said it's OK. i'll write to you what the description says:

cause:Bulletin
K9450 control solenoid valve and transmission control module assembly
cleaning
Maybe someone understands this or works for GM
Those parts need a cleaning after only 2300 miles.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just completed a trip from FL to Ohio,, to upstate NY ,Canada and back. I went through some very "rolling" terrain. I left the shifter in low and manually shifted fro 6th to 5th , 4th and back. Worked real well keeping up my speed. It also helped keep me alert on this long trip.
At my Wife's farm in upstate NY you are either going up a grade down a grade or around hills. Some of them almost a 40 degree angle. Hardly ever shifted out of 4th gear!!!
That's where I had my worst mileage. I averaged 26.2MPG for the road mileage, 20mpg around my Wife's Farm area and town driving.
This was calculated using the DIC MPG at each fill up then averaging them out .
There was only two of us but we had at least 500lbs of luggage and "stuff" we picked up on our trip.

CXL FWD

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check Engine Light on

Well my Enclave is officially one month old, let me count the ways it has been in the shop
3 times for stablitrak light
2 times for Rear park assist not working
1 time for Check engine light.
1 time for the compass always pointing West.
Should have bought the Subaru Tribeca
:banghead:

R

·
0 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light on

eastendgal said:
Well my Enclave is officially one month old, let me count the ways it has been in the shop
your third trip for the stabilitrak should give you a lemon law

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I would rather own an Enclave that is in the shop 50% of the time, than to EVER be seen in that FUGLY Tribeca :puke:

·
Registered
7 Posts

Rollin Thunder said:
your third trip for the stabilitrak should give you a lemon law
Already read up on the laws in NYS, you need 4 failed attempts to enact. It will only be a matter of time.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I thought I would post in this thread -- my friend (has a CX) just got his Enclave back from the dealer. 2nd time with Check Engine/Stabilitrack light on. They replaced 4 sensors/modules -- one that I know for sure was the YAW sensor. As soon as I find out more, I will post -- he did not get a copy of his work order today, they are mailing it to him. And he's supposed to get an explanation from the service mgr but supposedly there is no TSB out on this problem, they worked with a tech or techs in MI to replace one, then another electronic part.

·
Registered
313 Posts
We've had the check engine light on twice now in the first 1000 miles. The first time it went off after a couple of restarts, but the more worrisome symptom was that it refused to let the transmission shift out of first gear. That symptom went away with one restart. Now the light is on again, and again it wouldn't let the transmission shift out of first. The light has remained on, and now with the car at a dealer they say it won't allow them to even shift into drive.

Their proposed problem is a solenoid that needs to be replaced.

I can understand that parts break, and new cars (especially new models) are more likely for things to go wrong in the first couple of thousand miles than from say 10,000 to 50,000 miles. But I do worry that this will be a repeating problem, especially reading reports of others with similar issues. My wife will not be happy at all about having a vehicle spend a few days at the dealer every couple of months. She already has been asking if we made a mistake on going for a brand new vehicle, and whether we should consider trading it for something else (yack, nothing else really even falls into the same category). I'm already looking at various state lemon laws, but I do wonder... if they "fix" a problem by replacing a defective part, and the replacement goes bad a few months later, which gets "fixed" again, and again, and again, does that fall under the "3-4 tries without a fix" lemon law or is it excluded since in each instance they are able to "fix" the problem?

·
Registered
313 Posts

eastendgal said:
You have legal grounds for action under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act without even having to invoke any state specific lemon law. The Magnuson-Moss act provides for recourse after a reasonable number of attempts to bring a new vehicle back into conformation with the condition implied by the express warranty of the manufacturer (i.e., like new). While lemon laws try to require that the defect significantly compromise value, operation, or safety the Magnuson-Moss act does not. Further, lemon laws require several attempts to repair one defect, while the M-M act treats the vehicle as a whole. Regardless of the actual impact to operation or safety from having a bad compass or a light come on when there might not be an actual mechanical problem, the legal precedent is established for a collection of defects "shaking the faith" of the consumer in his new (expensive) purchase. The downside of the M-M act is that it is not "clear cut" in defining a reasonable number of attempts, and it requires legal action (suit or threat of suit) to take advantage of it, while state lemon laws very clearly define when a threshold is crossed and stipulate what the compensation for the consumer will be without the need for a court case before a judge. It is worth noting though that under the M-M act if you win in court you are also entitled to reimbursement for all legal and related costs of having to bring forth the case.

7 times in the first month probably makes for a strong case under any interpretation of the M-M act. If you really wanted to pursue it, you could probably get a full refund for the vehicle (in some cases, courts have awarded monetary sums to the consumer and allowed him/her to retain possession of the vehicle).

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
osli said:
We've had the check engine light on twice now in the first 1000 miles. The first time it went off after a couple of restarts, but the more worrisome symptom was that it refused to let the transmission shift out of first gear. That symptom went away with one restart. Now the light is on again, and again it wouldn't let the transmission shift out of first. The light has remained on, and now with the car at a dealer they say it won't allow them to even shift into drive.

Their proposed problem is a solenoid that needs to be replaced.

I can understand that parts break, and new cars (especially new models) are more likely for things to go wrong in the first couple of thousand miles than from say 10,000 to 50,000 miles. But I do worry that this will be a repeating problem, especially reading reports of others with similar issues. My wife will not be happy at all about having a vehicle spend a few days at the dealer every couple of months. She already has been asking if we made a mistake on going for a brand new vehicle, and whether we should consider trading it for something else (yack, nothing else really even falls into the same category). I'm already looking at various state lemon laws, but I do wonder... if they "fix" a problem by replacing a defective part, and the replacement goes bad a few months later, which gets "fixed" again, and again, and again, does that fall under the "3-4 tries without a fix" lemon law or is it excluded since in each instance they are able to "fix" the problem?
Firstly, it's technically a SECOND year auto, because of the Acadia sister car. Not that it helps you!! I'd give it a tiny bit more time. Sometimes w/electronics, you have to guess at a fix, as several small things are inter-related. But I would also be disgusted also and quickly considering other alternatives too! Thank heaven it seems a relatively rare occurrence, across the forum, where all gripes are amplified by nature. That tells me it's something stupid, (one bad module, a pinched wire etc) not a major fault. Let's hope they find it, and then you'll love your Enclave! ;D

We're with you! keep us updated and I hope your dealer appreciates your patience.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Osli
this is exactly what was happening to mine.
they had to replace a module.
been good since then.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you're considering "waiting it out" and already have met the criteria for your state lemon law, DON'T.. You want to start the process as soon as you can, because it's a LONG drawn out process. You will be told NO by the Manufacturer (GM), you just have to escalate as much as you can over and over again.. THIS IS NOT YOUR DEALERS PROBLEM.. You have to get them to be on your side, kind of sort of.. They can involve people like their regional managers and such to aid in your pursuit for a repurchase. Do this for 5 months, if the problem is fixed then you might be good to go.. If not, then contact a lawyer. Most lawyers will charge the car manufacture for their fees.
I know all this because currently own one Infiniti G35 POS crap mobile that is being bought back within the next 30 days. We're just waiting for Nissan to send my lawyer the paperwork. She tacked on an extra 2k to the overall settlement, and will end up with an extra $1,000 on top of that. .. so, I lose $1000 but get my full purchase price back.
I can assure you it's a VERY VERY stressful process and it's easy to just give-up and trade the car away, but then the manufacturer will never have to worry about fixing their problems.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Wow, this is a scary thread, don't think I will come back here unless I have to and hopefully I won't. good luck to all of you. I traded in a Pilot that I had in the shop 7 times in the first 6 months. They finally had a Honda engineer come in to work on it. I had it all set up with the dealer and Honda that if he did not fix this problem, they would replace it with a 2007 model, mine was a 2006 (all without a lawyer). The dealer was on my side and went to bat for me with Honda who as a corporation were a pain in the A** to deal with. I'm still waiting for the free service coupons they were to send me, lets see 4 months now. Fortunately or unfortunately he did fix the problem so I turned around and traded it in on a much nicer vehicle :thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts