EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the Customer Satisfaction Update Bulletin # 07217 installed earlier this week and it made a huge difference in the transmission shifting. Much more driver friendly now and I would recommend anyone with an early model Enclave to get this upgrade.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
It's good to hear that you are satisfied with the update. Mine goes in next week.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
so it is called the whole thing, i.e, "Customer Satisfaction Update Bulletin # 07217 "?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I'm having ours done tomorrow. I'll report back after we drive it a bit.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Cool, I was waiting for you to get it first ;) >:D

·
Registered
525 Posts
It seems we've started a new thread for the transmission update. Since this thread is comments by those who've had the update done I'll post here.
I had the update done this morning and just got home from a nice drive in all types of traffic and on different roads and grades.
My impressions are as follows. During normal city driving I noticed no appreciable difference except during passing maneuvers. When accelerating to pass the down shift is smoother and quicker. On the interstate in cruise control it doesn't down shift two gears when climbing a hill as it used to, but makes one smooth, quick shift and holds speed nicely. When passing on the interstate and when merging into traffic from the on ramp the down shift is also quicker and smoother than before. On rolling two lane roads it shifts more smoothly on uphills than before. Overall, I'd have to say that although it's not a huge change, it is really an important tweak to the shifting pattern that makes the vehicle handle much better in traffic and on hilly terrain.
GM needs to be complimented on this upgrade. This is the type of continuous improvement that will make GM a real competitor in the industry.
I especially want to thank lzwhb2 for his interaction with the forum. This upgrade is definitely worth the trip to the dealer. :thumb:

·
Registered
86 Posts
jacko said:
It seems we've started a new thread for the transmission update. Since this thread is comments by those who've had the update done I'll post here.
I had the update done this morning and just got home from a nice drive in all types of traffic and on different roads and grades.
My impressions are as follows. During normal city driving I noticed no appreciable difference except during passing maneuvers. When accelerating to pass the down shift is smoother and quicker. On the interstate in cruise control it doesn't down shift two gears when climbing a hill as it used to, but makes one smooth, quick shift and holds speed nicely. When passing on the interstate and when merging into traffic from the on ramp the down shift is also quicker and smoother than before. On rolling two lane roads it shifts more smoothly on uphills than before. Overall, I'd have to say that although it's not a huge change, it is really an important tweak to the shifting pattern that makes the vehicle handle much better in traffic and on hilly terrain.
GM needs to be complimented on this upgrade. This is the type of continuous improvement that will make GM a real competitor in the industry.
I especially want to thank lzwhb2 for his interaction with the forum. This upgrade is definitely worth the trip to the dealer. :thumb:
I think quicker and smoother downshifts is a good way to characterize the upgrade. There are many more subltle changes that you might notice over time as you drive it more. I'd also say it's a fair statement that in normal city driving you won't notice any difference, but when you want to accelerate or pass, then you'll see the benefit of the upgrade. Glad to hear you do notice a difference though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
We have been running on the updated program for exactly a week. Huge difference. And given my wifes driving style and mine, our gas mileage will surely drop significantly. Having to really floor the pedal in the previous program in a way forced us to drive the Enclave a little more conservatively. No more with the update. One week impressions -

The response from input is night and day. Push the accelerator and the feedback/downshift is immediate. As we learned to overcome the previous program, we are now relearning how to push the Enclave. Vast improvement here.

Fuel Economy. We have seen a drop in our fuel economy. Some of that is trying to push the transmission to get used to it and run it through the paces. But, we will likely see that drop permanently given our more agressive driving styles.

Stop and go driving is an area where the new program could still use a tweak. When speeding up/downshifting and then suddenly coasting/fixed rate, the transmission takes a while to upshift. Rush hour stop and go traffic with a wide range of speeds from 20 - 60 MPH and have noticed in gears 3-6. The transmission just seems to hesitate and hang for a moment.

Overall, the Enclave is much more fun to drive and the update a pleasure. The stop and go in a major metro area is an area that we will just get used to the driving characteristics and compensate accordingly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
dfc101a said:
We have been running on the updated program for exactly a week. Huge difference. And given my wifes driving style and mine, our gas mileage will surely drop significantly. Having to really floor the pedal in the previous program in a way forced us to drive the Enclave a little more conservatively. No more with the update. One week impressions -

The response from input is night and day. Push the accelerator and the feedback/downshift is immediate. As we learned to overcome the previous program, we are now relearning how to push the Enclave. Vast improvement here.

Fuel Economy. We have seen a drop in our fuel economy. Some of that is trying to push the transmission to get used to it and run it through the paces. But, we will likely see that drop permanently given our more agressive driving styles.

Stop and go driving is an area where the new program could still use a tweak. When speeding up/downshifting and then suddenly coasting/fixed rate, the transmission takes a while to upshift. Rush hour stop and go traffic with a wide range of speeds from 20 - 60 MPH and have noticed in gears 3-6. The transmission just seems to hesitate and hang for a moment.

Overall, the Enclave is much more fun to drive and the update a pleasure. The stop and go in a major metro area is an area that we will just get used to the driving characteristics and compensate accordingly.
I'm glad you've noticed the difference. I think you're exactly right about driving it now. It's more fun to drive so you drive it differently and so your fuel economy will probably go down. You'll have to learn how to drive it again to get the same fuel economy, but it is possible.

I'm not quite sure what you're describing in city traffic though. Maybe you could elaborate more or send me a PM with some more details.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have also experienced that up shift lag dfc101a has noticed. It has only happened a couple of times, and I can't replicate it on purpose. What happens is I accelerate and reach the speed I want and then anticipate a shift up to the next gear, but it didn't come right away like it normally does, then a few beats later it shifts. The last time this happened I let off the accelerator slightly and it shifted. It isn't something that affects ability to control the vehicle, it is just a slight hesitation where the transmission shifts a little later than normally would be expected. I would rate this as a very minor annoyance that happens very infrequently. Hope that was clearer than it seemed to me. :-\

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the TCM software update installed last Thursday. We can definitely tell the difference! I've noticed a ~1.0 drop in HWY MPG (She was getting ~23.1 on the HWY now appears to be ~21.9 MPG which is fine with me; the Durango I traded in got ~ 14 MPG on the HWY!!)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had my transmission up dated August the 28th. Noticed a slight drop in mileage until I got used to the new shifting.
Took me about 2 weeks. Now I am back to where I was before the mod.
Going from Sebring FL to West Palm Beach FL the speed limit is 55-60 and I go 4 over. Averaged 26.9 for the trip (220) miles.

·
Registered
118 Posts
jacko said:
Our Enclave was born on 8/13 so I've assumed we have the 'new' transmission programming. I have been happy with the performance for the most part, except the two gear single downshift on the interstate. I wonder if I have the 'new' programming given how you (jacko) describe the downshift on the interstate. Or perhaps I'm just not interpreting your description of performance as I should be. This particular sentence is making me wonder:

On the interstate in cruise control it doesn't down shift two gears when climbing a hill as it used to, but makes one smooth, quick shift and holds speed nicely. (jacko)

Our Enclave makes a two gear 'downchange' in one shift, at least I believe this is what is happening as I watch the tachometer. As a hill is encountered in 6th gear, I agree the shift is smooth and quick, but our transmission drops two gears in one downshift action. The transmission usually shifts back up to 5th almost immediately on a low grade hill, and then back to 6th when the speed is fully recovered. It may go through this cycle a couple of times up a long steady grade. jacko, is that what you mean by one shift and not two shifts, or do you believe your 'new' update is performing in a different manner than the programming installed on 8/13 when our Enclave was built given what I have just tried to describe. I may just be tripping over one versus two shifts and one versus two gear semantics.

What do you think? Old, new or something in between? ???

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I think lzwhb (GM powertrain engineer) addressed this a while back and said that that what is really happening is that you are feeling the torque converter drop back in AFTER the immediate downshift. It is actually downshifting to 5th gear, then the torque converter is locking back in.....THEN you upshift back to 6th. It gives the "perception" that it downshifted to 4th, but really didn't. If I am wrong, someone correct me...............as I am sure you will ;D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks ccaats. I took a look at the past posts from Izwhb2. Looks like I need to do my homework on the torque converter and it's impact on engine RPM. That I don't yet understand.

But I'm still wondering why if I anticipate the downshift as I start up a hill and manually downshift into 5th gear I don't get the extra jump (temporary surge) in engine RPM. I believe the transmission acts differently when I manually downshift. At least that is my recollection. I guess I need to go out and play a bit more with this to be sure. No problem finding a hill or two here in the Ozarks.

Perhaps the torque converter stays engaged when I downshift manually if that's possible. I thought I was avoiding a two gear down shift by down shifting one gear manually. But apparently I must be changing some other operating characteristic of the transmission when I do that. The transmission definitely acts differently when I manually downshift as I start up a hill.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What do you mean by manually downshifting to 5th? Are you using L and the button to do this or pressing on the pedal?

Doing it with your foot vs. how it reacts in cruise can offer a different perception too.

·
Registered
118 Posts
lzwhb2 said:
What do you mean by manually downshifting to 5th? Are you using L and the button to do this or pressing on the pedal?

Doing it with your foot vs. how it reacts in cruise can offer a different perception too.
I use L and push the shift button. When I do this, I only feel one transmission event and the engine RPM increases only one step. If I allow the Enclave to take care of the hill on its own, I feel two transmission events with the engine RPM increasing more initially and then falling back I believe to where it would be had I down shifted manually.

It's been a couple of weeks from when I was last cruising on the interstate. I need to hit the road and repeat all of this and note speed, events, and RPM exactly so I do not lead anyone astray here. But on this extended trip, 1,200 miles to MN and back, I thought what I was accomplishing was avoiding a two gear down shift to 4th. Now I understand that is not what was taking place, but the reaction of the transmission was definitely different if I initiated a down shift while beginning to climb a hill.

Thank you very much for helping me to understand and get use to the characteristics of this transmission. I"m not terribly displeased with how the transmission operates on it's own at all. It works fine. I'm really looking more for perfection rather than a solution to what I would call a real problem.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mapper said:
I use L and push the shift button. When I do this, I only feel one transmission event and the engine RPM increases only one step. If I allow the Enclave to take care of the hill on its own, I feel two transmission events with the engine RPM increasing more initially and then falling back I believe to where it would be had I down shifted manually.
So are you starting from D or L6? If you pull the shifter down from D to L, you'll actually do a 6-4 shift. If you're starting in L6 when you downshift to 5th, the difference could be in the speed you're travelling or what you do with the pedal after/during the shift.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
lzwhb2 said:
If you pull the shifter down from D to L, you'll actually do a 6-4 shift.
That brings up a question I have. When we shift from D to L regardless of which gear we are currently in, what is the logic for which gear is selected? The few times I have done this it does seem to downshift, but I can not determine the logic it uses in picking the gear it chooses. I just assumed it would keep the current gear, but it does not seem to do that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts