EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So mine of course has the + & - on the side of the shifter where you can select gears

But is this ok to actually use like a manual transmission ?

manual says its used to set maximum gear you want to go up to ..but doesnt say its ok or not ok ..

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't know about your '08 but on my '10, it chooses the gear, not the top gear allowed. If you shift to M(anual), it will automatically shift into 4th gear (assuming this won't over rev the motor). From there, each push of the '-' will shift to a lower gear and each push of the '+' will shift to a higher gear. If you want it to shift on its own, you have to leave it in D(rive). Manual is just what it says it is.

Yes, you can shift it manually but why would you want to? It's a Buick Enclave, not a sports car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know about your '08 but on my '10, it chooses the gear, not the top gear allowed. If you shift to M(anual), it will automatically shift into 4th gear (assuming this won't over rev the motor). From there, each push of the '-' will shift to a lower gear and each push of the '+' will shift to a higher gear. If you want it to shift on its own, you have to leave it in D(rive). Manual is just what it says it is.

Yes, you can shift it manually but why would you want to? It's a Buick Enclave, not a sports car.
what i meant was you can choose the top gear you want the car to shift up too .. and i understand how it works ..

i just didnt know if you could literally change up and down gears like a manual tranny with no ill effect ..

i understand its not a sports car but i feel like you get better power range and less lag on up\downshifts when manually shifting .. its a little hilly in places and seems when your going up a hill at lower speed it will shift to second because of the speed but if your not going fast its not quite enough power so ends up re-downshifting and holding higher rpms etc .. (hard to explain sorry )

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the + and - on the side of my shifter, but I don't see anywhere to shift it into Manual mode. I've tried it while driving and nothing happens. I have D for drive and L for low gear, but there is no M.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the + and - on the side of my shifter, but I don't see anywhere to shift it into Manual mode. I've tried it while driving and nothing happens. I have D for drive and L for low gear, but there is no M.

if you put it in L you will be able to use it in manual mode .. only put it in L when your stopped cause it will usually choose the gear below whatever you in .. but you can however move it back into drive whenever you want

I find it handy as you can control the power band of the gear better

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
back when the 1st gen came out- folks said the Acadia, Trav, Enclave, Outlook, were horrible for passing on the freeway.
If you were on the road at say 60. Needed to pass, you could press the gas pedal, and it would slowly move, well you are in 6th/overdrive....
or you could press on the pedal a little more....

The solution was simple...

As youre in D- 6th/overdrive... and you needed to pass,
You grabbed the shifter and moved it to L- while at the same time pressing on the gas pedal a little more.

This automatically shifted the Trans to 4th gear..... and the RPMs went from about 1500 to 2500-3000.

Instant passing power..... once you did your pass... you either shifted back to D or used the + - buttons to manually select the highest gear 4,5,6.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I use the manual shift buttons all the time when towing just because I need to lock out top gear. The rest of the time I just leave it in drive and let the ECU figure out the best gear. Never had issues with it not kicking down a gear or two to pass.

·
Registered
53 Posts
On my 08, if I remember correctly, shifting into low will automatically downshift two gears from the current gear. Example: if you are in 5th and are coming to a stop light, shift to low and the trans will drop to 3rd. As you slow down you can down shift to 2 and even to 1st and save your brakes coming to the stop light. In Colorado I use it all the time going down hills to stay within the speed limit and avoid riding the brakes downhill. I regularly use the gears, shifting up or down as needed, to employ engine braking to travel downhill several miles without ever using my brakes and staying within the speed limit, or below, at night or in areas where deer may cross at any time. Most people only drive with gas and brake. Knowing how to use your gears to slow down or maintain speed is a valuable skill to learn and know. If your brakes ever fade or go out, knowing how to slow down without them could save your life.
My opinion and $5 will get you a nasty cup of coffee at Starbucks.
My free advice comes with a full money back guarantee.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
DaveE
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing