EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Enclave. The transmission begins to slip when going from second to third. Luckily it’s still under the power train warranty and was told that the transmission valve body needs to be replaced. Was wondering if this is one of the well-known problems for the Enclave? Anything else down the road to look for? Currently I’m at about 65k miles and the power train warranty isn’t over till the next 5k miles. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2016 Enclave. The transmission begins to slip when going from second to third. Luckily it’s still under the power train warranty and was told that the transmission valve body needs to be replaced. Was wondering if this is one of the well-known problems for the Enclave? Anything else down the road to look for? Currently I’m at about 65k miles and the power train warranty isn’t over till the next 5k miles. Thanks!
I have a 2016, also. I was having a shudder at speeds of 25 - 30 mph and sometimes at 50 - 60 mph. Brought it to a dealer and they "reconditioned the complete transmission" including the valve body, replaced all clutches, steel plates, seals and replaced the torque converter. Thank God I, too, was still covered under the 70,000 mile powertrain warranty at 66,500miles. This would have been a very expensive repair a few thousand miles later.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2016, also. I was having a shudder at speeds of 25 - 30 mph and sometimes at 50 - 60 mph. Brought it to a dealer and they "reconditioned the complete transmission" including the valve body, replaced all clutches, steel plates, seals and replaced the torque converter. Thank God I, too, was still covered under the 70,000 mile powertrain warranty at 66,500miles. This would have been a very expensive repair a few thousand miles later.
Did you purchase extended warranty?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you purchase extended warranty?
No. Even though I get about 2-3 phone calls a day reminding me that I should purchase an extended warranty on my cars. In about 2,000 miles I'll be on my own.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. Even though I get about 2-3 phone calls a day reminding me that I should purchase an extended warranty on my cars. In about 2,000 miles I'll be on my own.
yeah I have about 5k miles. It started last year, but just trying to show it to the service guys was a chore. Then this time since there’s check engine light for the purge valve, I’d figure to give it a try to have it act up on it. Sure enough, it did it. So they replaced the transmission valve body. But now it’s kinda acting up a little again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ah, We have a 2016 and the transmission took a dump at 26K. My wife went around a corner and there was no go when she stepped on the gas. She has been with me long enough to know to nurse it to somewhere and park. It got hauled back to the dealer & supposedly the I think 2-3 clutch pack lock ring came loose.
I have never had issues with the transmission in any GM vehicles(all I use)or service trucks. I saw this issue with some 08 & 09's as well.
You'd think they would have fixed it by now.
Yes, I have the extended warr. and yes I get about 3 calls/day warning me that my warrenty is running out! I wish that was all we got wanting to know if our rental house was for sale!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Those phone calls are a scam. I didn't buy an extended warranty but the callers tell me it's either about to expire or it has expired. I have an answering service so never respond.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking of doing the GM extended warranty. But since they just replaced the valve body, then I have to wait 5k miles. Just debating if i should either get the warranty or just traded in

·
Registered
978 Posts
Why do you need to wait 5k miles before purchasing an extended warranty?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey you guys were lucky. My 09 Enclave had transmission issues at around 35K and 72K. At 72K it had to be rebuilt, costing my $4,500 since my warranty ran out by then. The transmission shop I took it to did an excellent job, but having to spend this amount of money for transmission issues at less than 150,000 miles is unacceptable. When I finally replace my Enclave, it will be with a Toyota. It's too bad, as I like the new GM vehicles but the odds are not in my favor reliability-wise.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I know tons of people who have similar issues with all brands, including Toyota. I have had few expenses since going all-GM.

Hey you guys were lucky. My 09 Enclave had transmission issues at around 35K and 72K. At 72K it had to be rebuilt, costing my $4,500 since my warranty ran out by then. The transmission shop I took it to did an excellent job, but having to spend this amount of money for transmission issues at less than 150,000 miles is unacceptable. When I finally replace my Enclave, it will be with a Toyota. It's too bad, as I like the new GM vehicles but the odds are not in my favor reliability-wise.

·
Registered
2008 Buick Enclave CLX CoCo Brown / Tan Leather Interior (2nd owner)
2 Posts
Same here bought my 2008 Buick Enclave in 02/2018 with 74kthat my great uncle had and he purchased new(always garaged and serviced), I had about a year and in 01/2019 at 84k had to put rebuilt transmission ($4700). I like my Enclave, but GM really skimping on quality/reliability but not on the price. My father had Buick in the 90's and never had the problems you have today..
Just had to have struts/shocks/swaybar links installed and only have 108K, thought the front end was going to fall out...currently running great and hope to get a few more years out of it without any other major problems....

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
in your case- you felt like the front end was going to fall out... and replaced the struts/schocks/swaybars endlinks....
how are the roads out there?

the other end of the spectrum- my Traverse and Equinox have been great.

my 2013 Equinox... at 99,000.
I Just spent $1322 on parts for the Equinox. (including rebates that were submitted)

The Equinox- no issues. Lets keep it performing great...
since its about to hit 100,000.... last week I installed....
NEW-
Spark Plugs
Air Filter
CV Axle (pass side) (road debris knicked the boot and leaked grease, I noticed it several weeks ago during an oil change)
Front and Rear Brakes
4 new Oxygen sensors
Intake Manifold gasket
Side motor mount
Control Arms (left and right)
Stabilizer bar endlinks (left and right)
Struts (complete kit) left and right
Rear Shocks (left and Right)
Stabilizer bar bushings (left and Right)
Brake Fluid Flush
Power Steering drain/refill (reservoir)
Cabin Filter
Wheel Alignment
Transmission Drain and refill.

today- im actually doing another trans fluid drain and refill
Though I did install a new water pump about 1 yr ago.....
But yeah- spend a little money now- and replace the items due to mileage. no need to wait for the parts to really fail.
though the lower ball joints- the boots had torn.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Brake pads, struts, water pumps, O2 sensors and the like - you expect to change those eventually. But you don't expect a transmission to start giving problems at 35,000 miles, then require a rebuild at 72,000 miles. Especially when you change the transmission oil every 20-25,000 miles (2 drains/refills each time). GM is skimping on part quality, with many parts built in China and Mexico. You'd figure they're getting the labor super cheap to build these parts, couldn't they make them better so they last? Unfortunately, the MBA cost accountants at GM make sure they get the cheapest parts possible. Cheap, poor quality parts = unreliable vehicle every time. Sure, Toyotas have problems too, but they still seem to have a lot less problems overall. I've even had decent luck in Fords, although this was a 2004 Mustang. Not sure about the newer Fords.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m just having GM involved with this. That’s not to say the dealer is bad or anything. They found the upper and lower valve body problem. But I just found it bologna that I have to have wait 5k miles to come back to see the problem

1 - 16 of 16 Posts