EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Enclave last week and I want to know what kind of treadwear to expect from the OEM Michelins. When I bought my wife her Lexus RX, they had OEM Michelins but they only lasted 13k miles before I had to replace them. The Lexus dealer said that those tires were really "soft" in order to get the quiet ride so that's why they don't last.
Since Buick wanted the most quiet ride with the Enclave, I wonder if these Michelins are also "soft" and won't last that long.
Can those of you who have had your Enclave for a while and have racked up some miles let me know what kind of treadwear you are getting?
Thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts
nclave1 said:
I just got my Enclave last week and I want to know what kind of treadwear to expect from the OEM Michelins. When I bought my wife her Lexus RX, they had OEM Michelins but they only lasted 13k miles before I had to replace them. The Lexus dealer said that those tires were really "soft" in order to get the quiet ride so that's why they don't last.
Since Buick wanted the most quiet ride with the Enclave, I wonder if these Michelins are also "soft" and won't last that long.
Can those of you who have had your Enclave for a while and have racked up some miles let me know what kind of treadwear you are getting?
Thanks
If memory serves (which it doesn't as often lately) there is something like a 60,000 warranty on the tires

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have 7K miles so far. I have not done any tread mesurements, but visually I think they almost look new.
I know that is very subjective but I know that I will get more than 13K miles out of them. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
johnt26 said:
If memory serves (which it doesn't as often lately) there is something like a 60,000 warranty on the tires
As long as your house servants continue to serve you, the heck with the memory... :thumb:

·
Registered
333 Posts
bsox said:
As long as your house servants continue to serve you, the heck with the memory... :thumb:
I wish...what were we talking about? ???

·
Registered
114 Posts
At 13000 + miles, my Michelin LATITUDES wear very well. The backs are like new, and the fronts show some wear like FWD vehicles are apt to do.

I am sure they will wear well for awhile longer. I'll probably replace the front 2 after my trip to Atlanta. I'll keep an eye out on this and see what happens.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mine are showing between 7 & 8/32 after 12,000 miles. I believe they were 10 or 11/32 new.
Not too bad! 8)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
newtobuick said:
Mine are showing between 7 & 8/32 after 12,000 miles. I believe they were 10 or 11/32 new.
Not too bad! 8)
Not too bad. I have a bit less wear than that, with 1 rotation at 10Kmiles. Cost me alot though. I recall $69, with the re-programming for the tire sensors. I may just go front -to -rear, myself next time,and not even re-program the tires. As long as I know a problem exists (low pressure) on one side or the other, I can figure it from there.........

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was going to make a comment about someone sounding too lazy to rotate their tires, but then the pressure sensor issue pops up. Does this mean that most shops won't be able to rotate your tires for you now? And is there any (easy) way to DIY your own sensors so I can rotate my own tires?....

I found it on another thread (which quoted the Acadia forum). The proceedure to reprogram the tire pressure sensors yourself is as follows (and you only have 5 minutes total to do this and only 2 minutes max per tire, otherwise the system stops the programming process):

1. Set the parking brake.

2. Turn the ignition switch to ON with the
engine off.

3. Using the DIC, press the vehicle information
button until the PRESSV TO RELEARN TIRE
POSITIONS message displays. If your vehicle
does not have the DIC buttons, press the trip
odometer reset stem located on the instrument
panel cluster until the RELEARN TIRE
POSITIONS message displays.

4. If your vehicle has the DIC buttons, press the
set/reset button. The horn sounds twice to
indicate the TPMS receiver is ready, and the
TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message
displays. If your vehicle does not have the
DIC buttons, press and hold the trip odometer
reset stem until the horn chirps twice and
the TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message
is displayed.

5. Start with the driver side front tire. The driver
side front turn signal lamp is on.

6. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem.
Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing
or decreasing the tire’s air pressure for
five seconds, or until a horn chirp sounds.
The horn chirp, which may take up to
30 seconds to sound, confirms that the sensor
identification code has been matched to this
tire and wheel position.

7. Proceed to the passenger side front tire.
The passenger side front turn signal lamp is on.
Repeat the procedure in Step 6.

8. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire.
The passenger side rear turn signal lamp is on.
Repeat the procedure in Step 6.

9. Proceed to the driver side rear tire. The driver
side rear turn signal lamp is on. Repeat the
procedure in Step 6. Instead of a single horn
chirp a double horn chirp signals the TPMS
sensor has been matched to this tire and wheel
position and the matching process is no longer
active.

10. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.

11. Set all four tires to the recommended air
pressure level as indicated on the Tire and
Loading Information label.

12. Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have 21,000 miles, and the tires are wearing VERY well. They are smooth. quiet, and still grip well. My tire rotation is free at my selling dealership, plus a free wash each time it goes in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I looked at the treadwear rating printed on the Michelin tires of our Enclave CXL, and the treadwear is 600. This is quite a high number indicating a decent tire lifespan. Most tires have a treadwear of around 360-400 and there was a treadwear of only 180 on the tires of the last truck we had, which was a Toyota Sequoia. If I remenber correctly, these tires only did around 25,000 mi. before having to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Now @ 14K miles and wearing very well with 1 rotation so far. I guess I'll get 35k easy. But I replace when even close to 2/3 worn as wet stopping distance DOUBLES, at 60MPH, with 2/3 worn tires. (from 130 feet to 240 ft, in objective tests) Feds are considering going from the old "Lincolns head penny test" to "Washington's head quarter test" to save lives. Equals about a 2/32 difference in tread wear limits.

The treadwear # number (600, 180, etc) is not an industry norm that equates to other brands or on an exact scale such as 600= 60K miles. It is relevant mainly within a certain brand and only a general guideline for miles achievable.

Never the less, 600= 60K miles is usually a good, rough guide, on mileage you will achieve, under optimum conditions. Enclave with the 19" Michelin's should get 35-50K miles with normal use. Keep your pressure up!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have The Redbaron's tires rotated every 6,000 miles at my Buick Dealer and they reset the tire program and the tires look like new at 12,400 miles.I have a 3 year Service agreement for tire rotation and oil change.
When I change over to Synthetic Oil I just pay for the oil or bring my own, they will furnish the Labor and A Good Wrench Filter free of charge. Yes I have looked at the Filter
and they use Genuine GM Filters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't repeat my mistake.....

I have 27,000 miles on my 2008 Enclave and have not rotated the tires before. (I know, it's my wife's car and I have asked her to schedule to do this but I never made sure that it happened). As a result, the front tires have worn down to the tread indicators and need to be replaced. What really hurts is that the back tires, while having plenty of tread, have developed a side-to-side weave pattern in the tread. That is, as you look at the tires while they slowly spin the tread weaves back and forth left and right. Bottom line, these tires MUST BE ROTATED even moreso than most.

The only good news is that I found new Michelin Lattitudes for $113 each at tirerack.com vs. the $220 plus that NTB and others wanted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 49,000 miles on my Enclave now. The Michelin tires are ready for replacement. I wil put Michelins back on unless I hear of something better. Some are down to the wear markers.The others are very close. I figured the 19" tires would go 60K but its not going to happen. I did put Ni in them for the temperature change rating. I read somewhere it was about 1/2 of regular air. 1/2psi for ever 10 deg. It did seem to help but still varied from 31 to 39 psi summer to winter. Only the very cold days 0 deg. did it get down to 31. Most days it was around 33-34. I also rotated them about 3 times total. I have had the Enclave for 20 months

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
We've got 26,000 on them, but are on our 4th rotation (5th cycle) and no where near the markers. I'm expecting about 50K for sure before replacement. We are very fussy about inflation.
Same here with just under 28K - still plenty of tread... Regular rotation is a must... :thumb:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Dano58 said:
I have 49,000 miles on my Enclave now. The Michelin tires are ready for replacement. I wil put Michelins back on unless I hear of something better. Some are down to the wear markers.The others are very close. I figured the 19" tires would go 60K but its not going to happen. I did put Ni in them for the temperature change rating. I read somewhere it was about 1/2 of regular air. 1/2psi for ever 10 deg. It did seem to help but still varied from 31 to 39 psi summer to winter. Only the very cold days 0 deg. did it get down to 31. Most days it was around 33-34. I also rotated them about 3 times total. I have had the Enclave for 20 months
Rotating them only 3 times in 49,000 miles is the reason there worn out. I use Mobil 1 synthetic and have the oil and filter changed and tires rotated every 7,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts