EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this post on Edmunds today....

Regarding the White Diamond Tricoat.........it is true that the production of this color is ending.

I called around and investigated and found out why. The second layer of the tricoat, contains what seems to be metallic. However, if it were metallic, they'd continue making it. They wanted a much more elegant reflectant than a standard metallic, so they found a harvesting fish in the Pacific ocean that they use the scales from. I know this sounds crazy but it's true. They take the scales, dry them out and pulverize them and put them into the paint as the reflectant.

Supposedly the availability of this fish is very limited and GM has already gone through it's allotment of the fish (and scales) so the production of this paint is no longer continued.
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f134cc8

So, true or false? ;D

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't know about the WDT but as a fellow female I can assure you that fish scales are used in some lipsticks for metallic coloring. You would be surprised (and disgusted) if you knew what were in our cosmetics. ;)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yuck!

It is kind of strange to stop production of a color midstream unless there was some kind of issue with it...PLUS
it was a more popular color, too....

·
Registered
509 Posts
Not likely true...particularly because of the whole Cadillac line still being available in White Diamond regardless, as well as special edition Tahoes and Yukons now as of mid year, the Pontiac G6, etc.

It was just mostly a Lambda thing, that someone likely thought a good idea when playing with colors. Fish related? MAYBE...but don't bet on it, given the number of other vehicles still using the color, and that continue off and on throughout years.

·
Registered
413 Posts
This story sounds kind of fishy to me!!

I don't know if the "fish scale" part is true or false but all Cadillacs are still available in WDT.
Could be WDT on the Enclave, Acadia and Outlook was just a short term solution for a "premium" color until the PIT was perfected; who knows.

In any event only a small percentage of Enclaves will have been produced in this very popular color. We love ours and don't regret for a minuite spending the extra money for it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
43sbest said:

I don't know if the "fish scale" part is true or false but all Cadillacs are still available in WDT.
Could be WDT on the Enclave, Acadia and Outlook was just a short term solution for a "premium" color until the PIT was perfected; who knows.

In any event only a small percentage of Enclaves will have been produced in this very popular color. We love ours and don't regret for a minuite spending the extra money for it.
I agree and in the future, if WDT is available again......I will pay the extra Bucks and buy another one when it's time to buy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I saw my first WDT in person last week on a dealer lot and it looked sharp. I thought I was leaning toward the Cocoa but the WDT is very nice. I hope the PIT is just a sharp looking.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
43sbest said:

I paid extra for this color???? Just kidding, it is so nice who cares about 750 bucks over the course of a 5 year payment (at least for me, I know some have said they paid cash for thiers........). Love the color....

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I tried to pay cash, put my 2 cents worth in, but it was not enough for a down payment. ???

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There was also that rumor that Cadillac did not like the Enclave using 'it's' WDT color, so they were able to put a stop to it...Now that would be really stinky office politics, if true.....
I think the WDT color is absolutely gorgeous and anyone who has been lucky enough to purchase one should be thrilled ...fish or no fish...Caddy sour grapes or not!
I bet the platinum will be beautiful too, but with the creaminess being lost, the interior that will work best will probably be titanium and not cashmere, right?
So what does cashmere still look good with (besides cocoa)?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, YES! Gold mist and cashmere is perfect!!!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Fish scales in automotive paint? Sounds like an urban legend. Sure, its possible, but wouldn't mica make just as much sense?

And since when does the supply run out on ANY commercial fish? How much fish scale would you need to paint a few thousand cars, anyway?

Sorry, folks, I'm from Missouri (my roots are, anyway). I like a good BS story as much as the next guy, but I don't believe any of 'em.

Big Skeptical Larry
[/color] :beer:

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
If you must know, it looks lovely on you. ::)

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
axiama said:
But what about my lipstick?
I for one would not resort to calling you "fish-lips" if thats what you mean...that would be too easy.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Very funny, guys.

About 80% of the 1.9 billion lb of pigments sold to paint makers is the whitening and opacifying agent titanium dioxide. Another 14% is organic pigments, while 6% is other inorganic pigments--mostly mined and purified colorants based on iron oxide.

Let me rephrase my question: Does my lipstick likely contain titanium dioxide, iron oxide, or "organic pigment" i.e. fish scales?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Seriously, it does. I know from numerous chemistry classes in college. Your face cream and foundations also contain animal byproducts with the exception of plant based companies only such as Aveda. Put fish scales lipstick in a search engine. I'm sure you'll find links on.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Eeeww. I'm going to conveniently forget this conversation now. ::)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts