EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results have been posted. These are for the year ending June 30, 2007. Late responses could lead to further changes, but these are unlikely to be large.

For the 2007 GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook, I have an average of 2.8 months of data on 74 cars. The stat of 98 successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year (0.98 per vehicles) is worse than average for a 2007 model.

This result is similar to last quarter, and based on far more data, so the Lambdas appear to have continuing reliability issues.

Examples of repairs reported:
Many A/C failures -- common problem area
Wipers stopped working during a heavy rainstorm, requiring a tow
Storage compartment lid mechanisms
Gas cap lanyard kept coming loose
Transmission leak
ECM replacement
Water leak
Driver seat track replaced because seat rocking

The results do not include recalls or reflashes. Including these would have substantially increased the reported repair rate for these vehicles.

I've been seeing lower repair rates for the Ford Edge and especially for the Acura MDX. The Audi Q7 and Mazda CX-7, on the other hand, have been experiencing higher repair rates.

It is possible that GM will sort these issues out, and repair rates will start to decline. Results will be updated in three months.

Also in November I might have the first results for the 2008s, including the Enclave. Often repair rates are lower in the second model year. This will depend on how many owners of the 2008s sign up and participate.

Everyone who has been helping out with this research, thanks, I literally couldn't have done it without you. Those who aren't yet helping out, I hope you'll consider doing so.

Other results:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

A

·
0 Posts
Michael, I have a question about your results, or rather, your target group. I have very little insight into your stats gathering practices outside of my forums, but it appears to me that you get the bulk of your member signups from forums. My question is, since forums tend to skew to a much higher percentage of owners with problems than those without, wouldn't your results be skewed in much the same way? Your average car buyer with no issues don't usually seek out an automotive forum simply to rave about their new car, unlike owners with issues who tend to end up on forums to help them resolve their problems. Now granted, the same logic would apply across the board to every make and model, but still the overall numbers might be affected substantially.

R

·
0 Posts
admin said:
Michael, I have a question about your results, or rather, your target group. I have very little insight into your stats gathering practices outside of my forums, but it appears to me that you get the bulk of your member signups from forums. My question is, since forums tend to skew to a much higher percentage of owners with problems than those without, wouldn't your results be skewed in much the same way? Your average car buyer with no issues don't usually seek out an automotive forum simply to rave about their new car, unlike owners with issues who tend to end up on forums to help them resolve their problems. Now granted, the same logic would apply across the board to every make and model, but still the overall numbers might be affected substantially.
i agree, i think you should call random people about their car, or advertise on more than just forums.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the question asked most about my research.

Unless the problem occurred very recently, people cannot report it, because the surveys only cover the previous month.

In the case of the Acadia and Outlook, many, perhaps even most people signed up even before they had taken delivery. Early on the response rate was very low as a result.

A random sample would be vastly more expensive, and would yield small benefits, if any. Even if you have a random sample, at best a quarter of people respond, and it's possible that those who've had problems are more likely to respond than those who have not. At least with my method, data is collected going forward and people continuously participate. If someone joins, immediately reports a problem, then doesn't respond at the end of the quarter, they are not even included in the analysis.

Because of the sample size and the broad distribution of problems, I believe that the result for the Acadia and Outlook is among my most solid, and that you will see similar results from other reliability surveys.

Finally, note that most 2007 Acura MDX owners also came from a forum. Yet the reported repair rate for that model is less than one-fourth that for the Lambdas. Same goes for the Ford Edge, with about half the repair rate of the Lambdas.

R

·
0 Posts
some of those are a little un fair, like if you have to report it even though it only happend to one person like the side effect of the medicine, i mean i have never herd of the wipers stop working, and the lid sticking is really not a problem just an annoyance, and it does not cost any thing to get any of this repaired.

i know how all this works i am signed up for my 2006.5 yukon xl, that has been flawless and because of that i am not on any forums, reporting problems, also the people on the forums are angry with their problems and going to make them worse than they really are. if you talk to them out of the blue you may get different results, i think you should put your website on google ads or somthing and have it go to more that just car forums about that car, have it reach out to the more general public, think about it there are more that 25000 acadias sold and only about 2000 are on the forum and not all of those 2000 people report any problems, and if they do they are most of the time not real serious.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most problems are not real serious for any cars.

If you look around on the forums for the Enclave, Outlook, and Acadia, you'll see that the great majority of people are here because they love their vehicles, not because they're upset about a minor problem. There are no active forums where people participate simply because they've been having problems. You don't get a healthy, active forum that way.

The bottom line is that the repair rates for these vehicles are higher than they should be. GM does not appear to have engineered them as thoroughly as they should have, leading to a wide array of usually minor problems. On the other hand, we're still talking about a single usually minor repair per vehicle per year. I stress absolute repair rates for this reason--I try to make it very clear what is being reported.

I'm seeing a similar repair rate for the 2007 GMT900 SUVs, but the sample size there is too small to be conclusive.

I also note that new models often have higher repair rates, and that these rates often come down as the manufacturer identifies and fixes common problems. The climate control system seems to be the most problematic with the Lambdas. If GM sorts that out, the repair rate will come down.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The stat of 98 successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year (0.98 per vehicles) is worse than average for a 2007 model.
Ok, I don't understand ANY of these so called "quality" ratings. From what I recall Buick and Lexus just TIED for #1 in quality with 145 problems per 100 vehicles per year, so how can 98 problems per 100 vehicles per year be "worse than average"?

R

·
0 Posts
ccaats said:
Ok, I don't understand ANY of these so called "quality" ratings. From what I recall Buick and Lexus just TIED for #1 in quality with 145 problems per 100 vehicles per year, so how can 98 problems per 100 vehicles per year be "worse than average"?
like i said earlier and so did admin, that just going to the forums is a little unfair jd went to the public, mk only goes to forums were people talk about problems, and like i said before with the acadia only 2000 people out of the 25000 acadias sold so far (mabye much more) are on the site and not all of them talk about problems.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rollin Thunder said:
like i said earlier and so did admin, that just going to the forums is a little unfair jd went to the public, mk only goes to forums were people talk about problems, and like i said before with the acadia only 2000 people out of the 25000 acadias sold so far (mabye much more) are on the site and not all of them talk about problems.
I already responded to most of this. On the sample size, the size of the population has absolutely nothing to do with the required size of the sample. This is basic stats.

As I did note earlier, many people joined TrueDelta's panel before even taking delivery. They had no way of knowing whether their vehicle would have a problem or not, effectively randomizing the sample. This is the benefit about collecting data going forward rather than asking people about things that have already happened, which is what others do.

As for this forum vs. "the public," you guys are the public. It's not like the members of forums like this one do anything out of the ordinary to their vehicles that would cause the A/C to fail, which seems to be a Lambda problem area.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ccaats said:
It's important to closely note what a stat includes. JD powers lets people report pretty much anything they feel is wrong with their vehicle. And that study covered the third year of ownership.

I include only repair trips in which a successful repair was performed. The owner not only has to believe there's a problem, but the dealer must acknowledge there's a problem and actually do something such that, afterwards, the owner perceives that the problem is no longer there. In this particular case I'm covering vehicles in their first year of ownership. As vehicles age, they have more problems.

Add it all up, and 145 can be low for them while 98 can be high for TrueDelta.

A final thing to note: none of the Buicks that earned that first place finish are still available. Those were 2004 models. The vehicles I'm reporting on were not in the JD Power study you refer to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts