EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think someone else may have mentioned it but my original thread of my owner impressions has gotten really long and a lot of stuff has been burried, so I'm starting a few separate threads to hopefully avoid thread hijacking :)

When we got the Avenir in 2017 I really hated the engine auto start/stop, I still do. And watching many reviews on YouTube of people reviewing the "All New for 2018 Buick" it sounds like it's a common refrain.

But there is a workaround, although it's a bit of a work each time you want to disable it. Put the transmission into "L" mode (pull down once from the "D" mode). After that you will need to use the right paddle to ensure you allow the transmission to use all 9 gears. Each time I did this, the transmission started in L1 and I needed to pull the right shift lever 8 times so that it said L9. The number just indicates the highest gear the transmission can select in the "L" mode. Remember, L is for lock-out.

After doing this the auto-stop never kicked in until I turned off the car.

So if you really want to disable it, just go to "L" mode - just don't forget to click up to 9 so you can still use all 9 gears, otherwise you'll potentially run the engine at higher RPM than necessary and use a lot more fuel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the info. I noticed on my 2017 Acadia SLT2 (3.6L V6 doesn't come with the Auto Start/Stop system) that when I plugged in my 7 pin to 4 pin trailer electrical adapter that it automatically disabled my safety seat and back up warning chime. I did not have the trailer connected yet. I'm wondering if plugging in the adapter would affect the Auto Start/Stop system? Would GM shut down the engine if the car thinks there's a trailer attached? BTW, my first tow with the Acadia was a 60 mile trip on the freeway (Las Cruces NM to Deming NM) averaging 68 mph on a fresh fill up before leaving, trailer was a 5x10' tilt deck, apx 875# not including apx 350# of cargo. I averaged 28.1 mpg without cruise control, towing 1200# was not even noticeable. I love this car!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have noticed mine doesn't shut off when the front camera is engaged in a FF line I wonder if the camera is on it thinks you are trying to park.

I have just gotten in the habit of feathering the brake so I slow crawl at a stop.

·
Registered
125 Posts
After 3 months I have gotten use to the auto-stop. Hardly notice it now. Have found that if I come off the brake and don't jump on the gas it is a smooth transition.

·
Registered
44 Posts
After 3 months I have gotten use to the auto-stop. Hardly notice it now. Have found that if I come off the brake and don't jump on the gas it is a smooth transition.
I agree, I have a 2017 XT5 caddy its no big deal just different. All the cars will have it soon so you might as well get use to it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
To me this stop-start system is a safety issue. What would happen if you're in a busy intersection and it fails right as you are trying to turn, with on-coming traffic? The EPA requiring unrealistic fuel economy targets is causing manufacturers to go to great lengths such as this to meet them. All this complexity means very high repair costs.

Hybrids/electric vehicles? I'd never touch one. Three of my friends (two with a Nissan Leaf, one with a Honda Civic Hybrid) had to have the batteries replaced in less than 7 years old. Thankfully all were replaced under warranty (but barely).

·
Registered
150 Posts
To me this stop-start system is a safety issue. What would happen if you're in a busy intersection and it fails right as you are trying to turn, with on-coming traffic? The EPA requiring unrealistic fuel economy targets is causing manufacturers to go to great lengths such as this to meet them. All this complexity means very high repair costs.

Hybrids/electric vehicles? I'd never touch one. Three of my friends (two with a Nissan Leaf, one with a Honda Civic Hybrid) had to have the batteries replaced in less than 7 years old. Thankfully all were replaced under warranty (but barely).
Agreed. Regarding fuel economy targets, at least the EPA recently announced they were getting rid of the unrealistic targets announced by the Obama EPA, wherein the average had to be something like 54 mpg.

·
Registered
150 Posts
54mpg , who in the **** told you that?
"The standards were introduced by former President Barack Obama in 2011. The measure required auto makers to increase fuel economy to 54.5 miles per gallon for cars and light-duty trucks by Model Year 2025. The Obama administration, at the time, said the standards would curb carbon pollution and cut more than 6 billion metric tons of greenhouse gas over the life of the program."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/04/02/epas-pruitt-plans-to-ease-obama-era-automobile-emissions-standards.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-epa-rescinding-obama-era-auto-fuel-efficiency/story?id=54184178

·
Registered
414 Posts
Currently we don't have a vehicle with auto start/stop but the minute we do you can bet I'll find a way to disable it. First off, as other have said, it's annoying. More importantly over the life of the vehicle it's going to save a negligible amount of fuel at the cost of increased wear and tear. The systems were a stupid hack necessitated by EPA MPG requirements and while they help on the EPA test loop their overall benefit to the consumer is grossly overshadowed by their downsides.

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Called it. When ever there’s a demand for a product you can count on capitalism to step up and deliver.

Also, if any of you watched the movie Zootopia... pretty sure the DMV sloth made their installation video. What should have been a 30 second video was over 6 minutes, 3 of which showed you how to open the hood. LOL[/QUOTE

I got their email yesterday. The module is pricey if you ask me. You're correct about the video. Seems to have ben made for someone who purchased their first vehicle with zero knowledge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think someone else may have mentioned it but my original thread of my owner impressions has gotten really long and a lot of stuff has been burried, so I'm starting a few separate threads to hopefully avoid thread hijacking :)

When we got the Avenir in 2017 I really hated the engine auto start/stop, I still do. And watching many reviews on YouTube of people reviewing the "All New for 2018 Buick" it sounds like it's a common refrain.

But there is a workaround, although it's a bit of a work each time you want to disable it. Put the transmission into "L" mode (pull down once from the "D" mode). After that you will need to use the right paddle to ensure you allow the transmission to use all 9 gears. Each time I did this, the transmission started in L1 and I needed to pull the right shift lever 8 times so that it said L9. The number just indicates the highest gear the transmission can select in the "L" mode. Remember, L is for lock-out.

After doing this the auto-stop never kicked in until I turned off the car.

So if you really want to disable it, just go to "L" mode - just don't forget to click up to 9 so you can still use all 9 gears, otherwise you'll potentially run the engine at higher RPM than necessary and use a lot more fuel.
The "L" mode appears to work fine on my 2018 Enclave. Somewhere I read the 2019 Enclave has a switch to disable. The auto-stop is very annoying and would have been a stopper for me had I noticed it before I purchased the car. It's a bad design for sure.

So I am stuck with the car, and clicking on "L" shift mode and flipping upto L9 appears to be a work around for the bad design. The best I can tell I am in "D"rive without the auto stop. Does anyone know of any negatives in using this method???

Thanks!!!

Al

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rather than going through all the shifting into L hassle every time you drive, why not just disconnect the hood latch sensor or install one of the aftermarket stop/start disabling devices?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rather than going through all the shifting into L hassle every time you drive, why not just disconnect the hood latch sensor or install one of the aftermarket stop/start disabling devices?
Hi,
Thanks for the aftermarket thoughts. I did look at these two....

----Info at [email protected]---- $200
----https://www.smartstopstart.com/chevy...-products.html---- $139

Both sound very interesting and the $139 one is in stock. The $200 device has to be fabricated by the "inventor". I noticed your name by either or both of these suggestions earlier in this thread. My only concern with either one of the devices are the downsides, like car features lost by implementing. If you have first hand experience with you Enclave or a friends Enclave, I would certainly welcome it. I would purchase the $139 if a few owners could tell me of their experience with it.

Thanks much dporter22!!!

Al

·
Registered
150 Posts
The "L" mode appears to work fine on my 2018 Enclave. Somewhere I read the 2019 Enclave has a switch to disable. The auto-stop is very annoying and would have been a stopper for me had I noticed it before I purchased the car. It's a bad design for sure.

So I am stuck with the car, and clicking on "L" shift mode and flipping upto L9 appears to be a work around for the bad design. The best I can tell I am in "D"rive without the auto stop. Does anyone know of any negatives in using this method???

Thanks!!!

Al

Wow, I sure hope that's the case, which would be great! Hopefully, Buick has caught enough flack over this "feature" that they are now more responsive to customers than to the EPA busy bodies. I drove a 2018 loaner for about four days and, yes, the auto stop gets irritating.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts