EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weird one for you. My 2008 Buick Enclave CXL AWD up and died on me in the winter time at work. I had driven it to work and after a 13hr shift a coworker offered to start my vehicle, as it was -40C Canadian winter I thought this was a great idea. The block heater was plugged in. When he came in my coworker mentions that my Enclave took a while to start, unusual as it usually starts right away, as it was cold as balls outside I never really thought it was anything but the cold at the time. I finished work and went out to find it not running, I tried starting it, would not fire. Tried boosting it with a work truck would turn over but not fire. It had popped a code earlier on in the week P0008 and I figured perhaps a sensor had given up. I had the vehicle towed home and I have been working on it once it got warm outside as I don't have a garage for it. I changed out the battery as It was almost 5yrs old anyway. The it would easily turn over but still no fire. I figured I had stretched timing chains after reading up on it. It was a bitch of a job but I changed out the timing chains and it had jumped a couple of teeth on the 1 bank. Got everything back together and still no start, same as before. I am a mechanic by trade but have been a Mechanical Supervisor for the past 10 years so I am a lot rusty (It is amazing how fast skill fade happens when you no longer do the work).

What I have changed out:
Battery
2x Intake Cam Sensors
2x Exhaust Cam Sensors
Serpentine Belt (why not it was off and old anyway).
Timing Chain kit from Cloyes
All the spark plugs with NKG Iridium plugs (Seemed logical as I had the plenum off and could get at the back 3 plugs).

I have fuel at the rail and can hear the fuel pump wind up. I also borrowed a Tech 2 Scan Tool from a buddy so I confirmed the pump works and everything seems to be okay no codes except for the A/C which has a leak somewhere and needs to be . I also confirmed that when turning over I get a engine speed signal from the Crank Sensor. I am at my wits end here with this fix hopefully someone has run into this before. My next move is compression test and check for spark, I don't have the tools for that so that is why I haven't done them. Worst part is the battery was toast in the winter so if there were any codes they reset when the battery died. Please help, any questions please ask I am far from perfect and know when others may know more that me, it a good trait in a Supervisor.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
713 Posts
Just one thing to try, the engine compartment fuse block. Make sure all the connections are tight and the bolts are snug. Easiest thing to try, it may cause a P008 if the sensor isn't getting the proper voltage so it may be the cause, maybe not. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion, at this point I am willing to try anything. I may be over thinking the whole thing and need to get down to the basics.

Just one thing to try, the engine compartment fuse block. Make sure all the connections are tight and the bolts are snug. Easiest thing to try, it may cause a P008 if the sensor isn't getting the proper voltage so it may be the cause, maybe not. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
12 Posts
The engine needs three things to run. Fuel, spark, and compression. Go back to basics and you will find your issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts