EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys -

I've been loving my gold mist enclave for almost 2 months now. Have a whopping 1260 miles on her so far. I have had just a few things wrong tho that I want to see if anybody else is experiencing. They are mainly quality in workmanship issues.

1) Front passenger seat seems to be missing some padding along the front edge. There is a visible indentation in the center of the front edge and you can feel the hard frame where padding should be.

2) Headlight control on dash *popped* into the dash and is *floating free* inside. I can still see it, but thankfully the lights are on auto so I don't need to press/turn anything. I haven't been able to get it to *pop* back into place.

3) Plastic framing at passenger feet where the side wall meets the carpet is warped and not snapped into place. There is a space big enough between the plastic and the side wall that I can place my fingers in it. The drivers side is a nice snug fit. Not so on the passenger side.

4) The cover on the visor mount (where the arm is attached to the roof of the interior) keeps falling off. I have snapped it back into place many times, but if I move the visor at all, the ring cover falls off again.

Now - don't get me wrong - I am still loving the car and I KNOW that nothing is ever perfect. I have contacted the dealership about all of these items and have heard nothing. Should I try a different dealership? Do you think these items should be repaired/replaced? Any advice you have is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Registered
177 Posts
ABSOLUTELY! Those are just poor craftsmanship type issues. Somebody not taking enough care in their work, combined with someone not being scrupulous enough in quality control. Granted things do get through, if we wanted ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY FLAWLESS quality control and craftsmanship, the price would reflect that. But just the same, I'm sure Buick doesn't want to be delivering vehicles to people with those defects, especially your issues because those sound like things just not being attached properly. They should be cheap, quick fixes for a dealership to make, although they may need to order parts. If you're not getting satisfaction over the phone, I'd recommend taking the car in and demanding they fix it. It's a very new vehicle and should not have those problems. And don't let them charge you a dime!

Keep in mind, and somebody correct me of I'm off-base here, that dealerships get compensated by the manufacturer for warranty work but likely not as lucratively as their standard work from people paying out of pocket. Thus, dealerships would tend to try to fob off minor warranty work if they can...so long as they have enough work to keep them busy. In that case you need to get in there and raise some attention for yourself. Remember, "the squeaky gear gets the grease."

·
Registered
644 Posts
" if we wanted a REALLY good quality control and craftsmanship..."

It is a terrible problem that we have come to the point where we can accept that a $40,000 vehicle may not have "really" good quality control. A $5,000 car should have "really" good quality control. Standards slip and as a nation we allow for that in dealing with manufacturers of cars and other products. That is why I have only purchased Japanese cars since the mid-70s. I'm still attempting to get an allocation, but these problems are NOT acceptable. How discouraging.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you want something with impecable craftsmanship and quality control, go get a Bentley or Rolls Royce. Otherwise, we're stuck suffering some amount of quality for money. If I could make you a car that you could NEVER get hurt in, that was 100% PERFECTLY safe, but cost $5 million, would you buy it? No, you wouldn't. Most things in life are some amount of a compromise.

But those problems listed at the top of this thread are unacceptable, I agree.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the replies. I will try again with the dealer I purchased from and if I don't get a response will look at another dealer. As long as it's under warranty, ANY dealer should be able to help me right? I shouldn't have to go only to the Buick dealer that sold me the car? ALL Buick dealers will cover the warranty?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I was going to post the same comment as blurrybill. I think it is the way jimbobwae stated what he said. I have never bought this expensive of vehicle in my life, but for $43,000.00 I don't consider this some entry level Kcar and would accept none of what princess reported. This is billed as the "finest luxury crossover" by Buick itself. I don't think they want this sort of trouble. They are trying to compete with Lexus and Mercedes with this vehicle.

I would call the service dept. talk to the service manager, tell him or her what is wrong, and set up a time to drop it off for them. They should provide you with a loaner as well if it is going to be more than a hour or so. Accept nothing less.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Princess --

Call now and make an appointment with your dealer's service department. These things should ALL be taken care of by them with a smile and NO COMMENT (well, excpet the passenger seat thing - that may be a design issue that you don't care for -- check out another Enclave on the lot to see if they are all the same as your's). This has nothing to do with whether this is a Rolls Royce or a Scion -- just get them fixed and go in knowing that you have every right to have them corrected.

Good luck!

Lisa

·
Registered
177 Posts
Boy I riled some feathers. I never said she should live with these problems, they should be fixed, quickly and with a minimum of hassle. But on the same token, if it happens to just a few people around the country, that's not too bad. When you're mass producing stuff like this, mistakes and problems occur. So long as you can bring it to the dealer's attention and it gets promptly fixed, then no biggie. But we'd be dilusional to think absolutely 100% of all Enclaves that roll off the line are flawless.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Jimbobwae said:
Granted things do get through, if we wanted a REALLY good quality control and craftsmanship, the price would reflect that.
I'm not ruffled, I just thought this statement was a little ridiculous. I absolutely want good quality control and craftsmanship and I think a $43,000.00 price tag DOES reflect that. Unless 43 grand means less to you than it does me, I think at this price quality control and craftsmanship should be automatic. Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not ruffled AT ALL here either -- I think EVERY car has issues, and new models with new technology will have more, but I am okay with that :thumb:

Just wanted Princess not to allow her dealership to blow her off....That's it :)
Lisa

·
Registered
644 Posts
" if we wanted a REALLY good quality control and craftsmanship..."

I am not ruffled, either. My reply was based on the ease with which consumers adjust to lowered standards. There are numberous opportunities to resist poor quality. Sadly, once we as consumers begin to rationalize those reduced standards, we begin to get exactly what we accept.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Exactly...and this is what I was getting at in my thread I started regarding some real issues starting to pop up with this vehicle.......

bsox said:
I was going to post the same comment as blurrybill. I think it is the way jimbobwae stated what he said. I have never bought this expensive of vehicle in my life, but for $43,000.00 I don't consider this some entry level Kcar and would accept none of what princess reported. This is billed as the "finest luxury crossover" by Buick itself. I don't think they want this sort of trouble. They are trying to compete with Lexus and Mercedes with this vehicle.

I would call the service dept. talk to the service manager, tell him or her what is wrong, and set up a time to drop it off for them. They should provide you with a loaner as well if it is going to be more than a hour or so. Accept nothing less.

·
Registered
80 Posts
princess said:
Thanks so much for the replies. I will try again with the dealer I purchased from and if I don't get a response will look at another dealer. As long as it's under warranty, ANY dealer should be able to help me right? I shouldn't have to go only to the Buick dealer that sold me the car? ALL Buick dealers will cover the warranty?
Please let us know what the dealer does. I am especially interested in the problem with the seat.

·
Registered
717 Posts
The only issue 2 months into my ownership has been the ring on the visor - it actually came delivered with it dangling - Ive snapped it back in twice and when I need my first service will ask about - just curious if this is common and something that might never clip right or not? Weird issue to have IMHO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts