·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for today 9-24-07 11AM EDT.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I called and asked my dealer this same question this morning. He stated that once it is off the assembly line it is out of the hands of UAW workers and is now in the hands of the transportation workers who are in a compeletly different union, not affected by the current hoopla.

I received my VIN number last Thursday and he said we are fine and to expect our Enclave's arrival at no later then next week.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
muljo said:
I called and asked my dealer this same question this morning. He stated that once it is off the assembly line it is out of the hands of UAW workers and is now in the hands of the transportation workers who are in a compeletly different union, not affected by the current hoopla.
I am not trying to rain on your parade but is this the type of situation where other unions would not cross the picket line to transport vehicles?

·
Registered
317 Posts
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

According to breaking news on CNN.com, UAW workers began picketing GM plant in Warren, MI at 11am EDT today with talks continuing. Let's just hope that this is the shortest strike on record.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We are sitting here wondering the same thing. Our Enclave was built last Wednesday, September 19th. Will it be picked up and sent on its way or ???

I find this strike thing very frustrating. I understand the unions position, but I found little sympathy in talking with different people since this whole negotiation bit has been in the news. They feel the UAW is going to cut its throat if they do strike. :sosad:

We had decided to move on to a foriegn make (Q 7) if they went on strike. Now I am between a rock and an Enclave on what to do. :banghead:

·
Registered
317 Posts
From recalling what happened during previous strikes, you can be pretty well assured that this will affect transportation of Enclaves already built and to be shipped. Unlikely these vehicles will make it to dealers if they are not already on the way. Since it appears they have only walked out at 1 plant, maybe there's some hope things will be settled before the day ends.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
As I have said before, I understand the need to improve your status and wages etc., but in the big picture thing, just when GM has a product that allowed them to be the only auto manufacturer to show a profit last quarter that the analysts accredited to the new crossovers specifically...The UAW does this. I tell you now, if I had not gotten mine last week, my order would be cancelled and I would be looking back to the foriegn manufacturers. This is my first US car since 1977. If this is prolonged, I want to tell everyone waiting for delivery or production how bad I feel for you. This would suck!!!!!! It makes me mad and I have mine :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm sure you'll all love this quote, taken from an article posted just a few minutes ago on the Chicago Tribune website:

"Workers at GM's plant in Janesville, Wis., started picketing outside the massive facility shortly after 10 a.m., halting work on assembly lines that build large sport-utility vehicles such as the Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban.

"If they think I'm going to take a wage cut and pay more for health care, they're dreaming," said Dave Van fossen, a 48-year-old worker at the plant. "My utilities just went up 14 percent and everything else is going up. Why would I accept a pay cut?"

Beautiful, eh?
I don't know about anyone else, but has your income risen just because the price of gasoline, natural gas, electricity, food, etc etc have gone up? It's nice to think you are entitled to "everything" but unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. These statements and the behavior of the UAW only seek to inflame those of us (the great majority) who aren't protected by any kind of contract. I think very few people are going to have any sympathy -- I know the health cost for my health insurance has skyrocketed, only to be eclipsed by the amount paid by my employer, which correspondingly has gone through the roof.

Gee, you have to pay more for health insurance? Join the club Mr. Van Fossen -- and just be glad you HAVE health insurance and aren't one of the millions in this country that's uninsured.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
desgnconcpts said:
I'm sure you'll all love this quote, taken from an article posted just a few minutes ago on the Chicago Tribune website:

"Workers at GM's plant in Janesville, Wis., started picketing outside the massive facility shortly after 10 a.m., halting work on assembly lines that build large sport-utility vehicles such as the Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban.

"If they think I'm going to take a wage cut and pay more for health care, they're dreaming," said Dave Van fossen, a 48-year-old worker at the plant. "My utilities just went up 14 percent and everything else is going up. Why would I accept a pay cut?"

Beautiful, eh?
I don't know about anyone else, but has your income risen just because the price of gasoline, natural gas, electricity, food, etc etc have gone up? It's nice to think you are entitled to "everything" but unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. These statements and the behavior of the UAW only seek to inflame those of us (the great majority) who aren't protected by any kind of contract. I think very few people are going to have any sympathy -- I know the health cost for my health insurance has skyrocketed, only to be eclipsed by the amount paid by my employer, which correspondingly has gone through the roof.

Gee, you have to pay more for health insurance? Join the club Mr. Van Fossen -- and just be glad you HAVE health insurance and aren't one of the millions in this country that's uninsured.
Wonderful, I agree 100%!!!!!Alot of the issue here is the pension plan and who is going to control it. GM wants to transfer the control to a group set up by the GM employees, but they are not sure they want this. If they took responsibility who would they blame if there were problems with the retirement plan. My retirement plan consists of me trying to save money as well as for my kids college education!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
:ditto:

My health care contributions tripled last year. It is such archaic thinking. My retirement plan is what I put in my 401k.

Anyways, I got some good news. I called Buick customer service and they show my Enclave as "in Transit to the dealer". It is on the train, not stuck sitting out in a parking lot in MI.

WHEW! I may actually see this thing yet.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
muljo said:
:ditto:

My health care contributions tripled last year. It is such archaic thinking. My retirement plan is what I put in my 401k.

Anyways, I got some good news. I called Buick customer service and they show my Enclave as "in Transit to the dealer". It is on the train, not stuck sitting out in a parking lot in MI.

I hope so for your sake. I am not sure the truckers will deliver it, but that is probably better than having it on a truck on a roadside reststop somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
muljo said:

Sweet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My Acadia just got to the dealership last Thursday...picking it up tomorrow. If I had waited just one more week...yikes!!

I wonder if resale value on Lambdas will temporarily increase due to the high demand with no cars coming out of the plant. Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
222 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts