EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Buick Enclave Premium Sage Metallic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2022 Enclave Premium w/20” wheels and on the ride home from the dealership (70+ miles away from home) I noticed a loud noise at highway speeds. The sound reminds me of the sound you would hear with a bad tire or bad wheel bearing (from past experience). Since the car only had 11 miles on it when I left the dealership it seemed like something was wrong. Drove it back to the dealership the next day. Service tech test drive it and agreed that they heard the sound but said they thought it was something loose in the trim. They claimed to not have any openings until the following Wednesday (today) but assured me it was safe to drive. Took it back today and after 5 hours of waiting (was supposed to receive a loaner but when I got there they didn’t have one so was stuck waiting) they stated it was likely a suspension issue but wasn’t sure when the tech specializing in suspensions could get to it so they suddenly found a loaner to give me. I left the dealership but a few miles down the road I realized I left my phone so I went back. I asked to speak to someone in the service Dept so I could get better clarity on what was going on. This time they tell me nothing is wrong with the car and it’s just road noise. I acknowledge that may be true but it was odd that a week ago it wasn’t “normal” and after 5 hours they determined it was likely a suspension issue only to tell me in a span of 15 mins after I left that nothing was wrong so of course I had questions. After some questions and contradictions I refused to take the car and went back over to the sales Dept to voice my concern with the situation. They are requesting that someone else higher up look at the car again so I kept the loaner and headed home for the day.

I have been used to driving the 2019 Enclave (owned by mother but I drove it often) so maybe I’m just hearing a difference that is now normal. Understanding that with the 20“ wheels I might hear more road noise than the 2019 which had 18” wheels but being perplexed by the inconsistency in the service Dept from the day I brought up the concern to even today….is the 2022 generally noisier than previous models? I should also mention that while I was waiting for those 5 hours I got 2 OnStar alerts. Stability Track alert and ABS...neither of which they could explain when they occurred while they had the car trying to figure out the issue. Since I know it’s close to impossible to diagnose a sound over the internet I’m just curious if the final explanation they gave me today (that it was normal and just road noise) is plausible at all…that the 2022 is just noisy despite agreeing from the beginning and today that something was wrong. I know all of that was super long just to ask the question but I figured a little background might help explain why the question exists.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Kaebfly, I have a 2020 Enclave with 18 inch wheels. It has always been very quiet at highway speeds. As a retired service technician (Land Rover) I can tell you tires can cause a lot of different noises. If your current dealer does not resolve this issue to your satisfaction, you have several options. One is to visit another dealer, but if there is not another dealer close by, you could also take it to a Chevy dealer. I would try and resolve the issue with the selling dealer. First and foremost, KEEP ALL paperwork and documents describing your concern and their attempts and action to resolve it. If they insist the noise you are hearing is normal, then you insist on driving or riding in another 2022 model with 20 inch wheels. IF they are reluctant to do so, start going up the chain. Start with the service manager/director and DON'T be confrontational, calmly explain your situation and mention your 2019 was very quiet. If he/she is professional, your request should not be dismissed. If he/she does not address your complaint to your satisfaction, move on to the dealer principal/general manager. Again DON'T be confrontational, remain calm even though that may be hard to do. If that fails, call Buick Customer Care and they will open a case and should setup an appointment with a dealer close by to resolve your concern. One other option, would be to contact a local trusted front end/tire shop, talk with them and take your 2019 Enclave and your new Enclave and have them balance and swap your tire/wheel assemblies from car to car. This will confirm if the noise you are hearing is from the tires. If they have state of the art tire equipment, they should be able to isolate which tire(s) are the cause of your concern. Good luck resolving this and hopefully your new Enclave will be trouble free for a while. My 2020 has 30,000 miles and has only had oil changes, no warranty issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kaebfly, I have a 2020 Enclave with 18 inch wheels. It has always been very quiet at highway speeds. As a retired service technician (Land Rover) I can tell you tires can cause a lot of different noises. If your current dealer does not resolve this issue to your satisfaction, you have several options. One is to visit another dealer, but if there is not another dealer close by, you could also take it to a Chevy dealer. I would try and resolve the issue with the selling dealer. First and foremost, KEEP ALL paperwork and documents describing your concern and their attempts and action to resolve it. If they insist the noise you are hearing is normal, then you insist on driving or riding in another 2022 model with 20 inch wheels. IF they are reluctant to do so, start going up the chain. Start with the service manager/director and DON'T be confrontational, calmly explain your situation and mention your 2019 was very quiet. If he/she is professional, your request should not be dismissed. If he/she does not address your complaint to your satisfaction, move on to the dealer principal/general manager. Again DON'T be confrontational, remain calm even though that may be hard to do. If that fails, call Buick Customer Care and they will open a case and should setup an appointment with a dealer close by to resolve your concern. One other option, would be to contact a local trusted front end/tire shop, talk with them and take your 2019 Enclave and your new Enclave and have them balance and swap your tire/wheel assemblies from car to car. This will confirm if the noise you are hearing is from the tires. If they have state of the art tire equipment, they should be able to isolate which tire(s) are the cause of your concern. Good luck resolving this and hopefully your new Enclave will be trouble free for a while. My 2020 has 30,000 miles and has only had oil changes, no warranty issues.
Thank you for all of your advice. Because I worked in customer service for many years I’m almost programmed to not be confrontational no matter how escalated a situation becomes (which I did leave one issue out of my long post where the service advisor became extremely unprofessional in his responses and attitude even after I attempted to diffuse in the same manner as I would an irate customer back in my CS days…completely different issue which I already know how to handle separately). The dealership did keep my car an additional day claiming they would have someone else check it out but I ended up picking it back up late the next evening after no one bothered to even start the car let alone drive it or anything else (same advisor said he wouldn’t waste his time because he said nothing was wrong and it’s my fault that I don’t know how to listen). I will be taking it to a local dealership tomorrow to have their service Dept check it out and will then contact the selling dealer to go from there. I did test drive another 2022 that was identical to mine with exception being the exterior color. Drove on the same highway at the same speeds to fairly compare both and there was a clear difference. But it would definitely be better to have a service Dept be able to officially verify. Other than this issue I have been loving my Enclave and don’t regret joining the Enclave family.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Kaebfly, It's a shame that you ended up with a service advisor that doesn't want to do his job. I would contact the service director/manager and make sure he's aware of the treatment you received from that advisor and as such you are going to another dealer to resolve your concern. One issue dealerships are dealing with these days is not being able to attract enough competent help, so they are forced to keep people they may otherwise terminate, but that is not an excuse for you to tolerate disrespectful people. I would hope your concern does not escalate to the point of lemon law, but be sure to keep all your paperwork, should that happen. I don't know what state you live in, as lemon law guidelines vary from state to state. I live in Florida and the lemon law procedures are very pro-consumer here. Stand your ground and hopefully this dealer will do their job and rectify your concern. Again, good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ibis1, I live in Georgia. I’m always pretty meticulous about keeping records for everything out of habit. I’m hoping this doesn’t escalate to a lemon law situation but I’m prepared to go the distance if necessary. On the rare occasion in the past with cars if I had an issue it could usually be resolved at the dealership with little escalation. This is a new (to me) dealership so I don’t know how their reputation may be overall (like I said…I ended up choosing them because they had a little more options in inventory for what I wanted than others within a 125 mile radius of my city) but I’m hoping for the best.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ibis1, tried 3 dealerships service departments (one in my city, one in Alabama, and one in a town about 46 miles away between my city and the place where I purchased from) but none wanted to get involved so they wouldn’t check the car. Said they wouldn’t have an issue once it’s past 30 days owned. Have reached out to the dealership I purchased from and asked to have the GM get back in touch with me (did so via email first to be able to show a trail and then waited 24 hours to call the dealership). So far I have not heard back from anyone. Will attempt one more contact before contacting GM corporate

·
Registered
211 Posts
Kaebfly, That just kind of stuns me. In over 20 years with Land Rover, I can not remember ever refusing to look at a customers complaint. That is just plain shameful. If something major or even minor would happen, it would open the door for a law suite. A customer should never be blown off on a possible safety concern. Also if the dealer principal at the selling dealer does not return your call, he should be terminated. That's a major part of his job. When you contact GM corporate, make sure you throw these dealers and their employees under the bus, but do it in a respectful way. I am sorry you are being treated this way after buying a new vehicle. It takes a lot of the shine away from the whole buying process. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kaebfly, That just kind of stuns me. In over 20 years with Land Rover, I can not remember ever refusing to look at a customers complaint. That is just plain shameful. If something major or even minor would happen, it would open the door for a law suite. A customer should never be blown off on a possible safety concern. Also if the dealer principal at the selling dealer does not return your call, he should be terminated. That's a major part of his job. When you contact GM corporate, make sure you throw these dealers and their employees under the bus, but do it in a respectful way. I am sorry you are being treated this way after buying a new vehicle. It takes a lot of the shine away from the whole buying process. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2021 Enclave Avenir with 24,000 miles. It has 20 inch Continental Eco Plus tires. It’s very quiet on most highways, but there are some pavement surfaces that are a quite a bit louder. Hopefully you have checked the tire pressure and maybe tried to adjust it up or down to see if that changed anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ddf49, tire pressure has been checked and is where it should be. I intentionally went to smooth portions of highway to see if it was solely a road noise thing (especially since I’m familiar with less than stellar surfaces on parts of the highway in my area, on I-185 and I-85 which are the highways between my city and the city I purchased from, and a few others that splinter off in different directions from my city to travel to other places)…which is what I was hoping would be what I was hearing. Doesn’t matter the surface, the noise exists. Always louder on the drivers side but still noticeable from the passenger side. Test drove another 2022 with 20 inch wheels (from a different dealership) and there is a clear difference. On the one I test drove it’s mostly quiet with the expected louder road noise on the less stellar portions of I-85 I drove on. I still have not heard back from anyone at the selling dealer despite digital communication requests as well as calling and requesting a callback after being told the GM was unavailable. I will reach out to General Motors tomorrow with the hopes that they can help keep this situation from escalating further by getting the selling dealership to do a better job at trying to resolve whatever is going on.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Kaebfly, What is crazy about this whole situation is your concern may be caused by 1 faulty/defective tire, which could be diagnosed by performing a road force test on your 4 tire/wheel assembly's. I don't understand why they have not done that. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a 2022 Enclave Premium w/20” wheels and on the ride home from the dealership (70+ miles away from home) I noticed a loud noise at highway speeds. The sound reminds me of the sound you would hear with a bad tire or bad wheel bearing (from past experience). Since the car only had 11 miles on it when I left the dealership it seemed like something was wrong. Drove it back to the dealership the next day. Service tech test drive it and agreed that they heard the sound but said they thought it was something loose in the trim. They claimed to not have any openings until the following Wednesday (today) but assured me it was safe to drive. Took it back today and after 5 hours of waiting (was supposed to receive a loaner but when I got there they didn’t have one so was stuck waiting) they stated it was likely a suspension issue but wasn’t sure when the tech specializing in suspensions could get to it so they suddenly found a loaner to give me. I left the dealership but a few miles down the road I realized I left my phone so I went back. I asked to speak to someone in the service Dept so I could get better clarity on what was going on. This time they tell me nothing is wrong with the car and it’s just road noise. I acknowledge that may be true but it was odd that a week ago it wasn’t “normal” and after 5 hours they determined it was likely a suspension issue only to tell me in a span of 15 mins after I left that nothing was wrong so of course I had questions. After some questions and contradictions I refused to take the car and went back over to the sales Dept to voice my concern with the situation. They are requesting that someone else higher up look at the car again so I kept the loaner and headed home for the day.

I have been used to driving the 2019 Enclave (owned by mother but I drove it often) so maybe I’m just hearing a difference that is now normal. Understanding that with the 20“ wheels I might hear more road noise than the 2019 which had 18” wheels but being perplexed by the inconsistency in the service Dept from the day I brought up the concern to even today….is the 2022 generally noisier than previous models? I should also mention that while I was waiting for those 5 hours I got 2 OnStar alerts. Stability Track alert and ABS...neither of which they could explain when they occurred while they had the car trying to figure out the issue. Since I know it’s close to impossible to diagnose a sound over the internet I’m just curious if the final explanation they gave me today (that it was normal and just road noise) is plausible at all…that the 2022 is just noisy despite agreeing from the beginning and today that something was wrong. I know all of that was super long just to ask the question but I figured a little background might help explain why the question exists.
Hello,
I in April 2022, I bought a 2018 E Avenir with only 15k miles 20' wheels. Was dealership principal's spouse's daily driver that they didn't register and put on road till 2020. I noticed right away, the 2018 model refresh, was much louder, noisier interior cabin then my 2016, 2011, and original model year 2008, then my traded in 2016 E - Premium. Buick claims more sound absorbing material and Quiet Tuning & Active Noise Canceling from Infotainment system. I've learned to adjust to the louder interior cabin, road noises etc., with slightly higher radio volumes. Reducing the cold tire pressure from 35lbs. to 33-34lbs. cold actually has helped, which is below recommended 35lbs. as they were set @ 37lbs. too stiff and loud. Continental tires as well. Have not driven the new 22 body style yet. The 2018 model refresh definitely louder interior then my 2016. Is what it is!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Geb Enclave, I can’t speak on the 2018 or earlier versions but the 2019 was and still is significantly more quiet than my 2022. But the now 2 other 2022’s w/20 in wheels are also significantly more quiet than mine. So in this specific situation it’s not an “is what it is” case…the noise is loud enough to still be heard over the radio at a significant level by anyone sitting anywhere inside….but a bit louder for the driver and passengers on the driver side. If it were “normal” it honestly wouldn’t bother me too much because I could write it off as a side effect of being used to 18 in wheels on the Enclave. Unfortunately, that just isn’t the case.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ibis1, tried 3 dealerships service departments (one in my city, one in Alabama, and one in a town about 46 miles away between my city and the place where I purchased from) but none wanted to get involved so they wouldn’t check the car. Said they wouldn’t have an issue once it’s past 30 days owned. Have reached out to the dealership I purchased from and asked to have the GM get back in touch with me (did so via email first to be able to show a trail and then waited 24 hours to call the dealership). So far I have not heard back from anyone. Will attempt one more contact before contacting GM corporate
They don't want to touch it before 30 days because of Georgia's Lemon Law. (I saw you are in Ga.) In reality, they SHOULD be helping you no matter what. I've been following a guy on Tik Tok in Ga. with a '22 Kia Telluride that blew the engine at 1,400 miles. His dealership kept trying to drag out the repairs, telling him 5 weeks for a new engine, etc. He got Kia corporate involved and they replaced his engine in a couple days. Well, it was a rebuilt engine. Not a new one. He had to get a lawyer involved to Lemon Law it and 1 thing he mentioned multiple times was 30 day Lemon Law claims in Ga. and if he waited for the dealership, it'd of been past that date. Then Kia would have been able to claim certain things and etc.

I have a '22 Enclave Avenir with a tad under 6k miles, bought late April '22. It's been on the highway with 6 people, a luggage carrier on the hitch, and a chunky dog. Plus various trips to Tampa, etc. It is MUCH quieter than our '18 Enclave Premium was.

I can however say that these '22's were apparently wham bammed together. If you open the driver and passenger front doors on mine, you see unpainted metal on the front fender areas (this was not so on my '18 or my dad in laws '20). The headliner looks kinda sketch in a spot or 2, so possible issues in the future. One side mirror light on the passenger side has moisture in it and needs repaired/replaced.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely adore my Enclave. It's my favorite of the 3 I've had. But your dealership choice makes a difference. My local one sucks and if you were in my part of FL I'd be asking if it was them. They are the most incompetent people ever. Went to look at a '22 Premium they had on the lot and the sales guy argued with us about it being a '22. He said it was the old design & mid '22 is when the refresh would release. When asked what the mid year '22 looked like then, he pointed to an Envision. We told him he was wrong and we were looking at the refresh and he kept arguing with us. He looked it up and was like, oh I guess this IS the refresh. Ya think? 🤨 My husband & I had been waiting since '20 for the refresh and knew exactly what we wanted. We didn't buy one from them, we went to Venice for ours. The crummy dealership has a service advisor manager who always treats me like I'm a dumb girl and ignores my issues. I unfortunately had to have my '15 & '18 towed there for issues and had 0 options about that. My '15 was rolling forward A LOT when in reverse. He told me that R mean it goes backsy and D goes forward. My '18 blew a battery at 4k miles and he said if I didn't ha e my cell phone plugged in, it wouldn't of? Like sir, there are approximately 6 USB slots, if it can't handle 1 phone... y'all got problems. 🙄

I honestly would not go into another Buick dealership or GM dealership and trash talk the 1st dealership. They can't really tell you squat about that dealership and their reputation, etc. They'll defend them, etc. Just walk in and act like you're just trying to be sure you're not missing something etc. I'd try a Chevy dealership and just say, "hey I was nearby and man I keep hearing this noise." Call Buick Customer Care in the meantime.

Reactions: Kaebfly

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I honestly would not go into another Buick dealership or GM dealership and trash talk the 1st dealership. They can't really tell you squat about that dealership and their reputation, etc. They'll defend them, etc. Just walk in and act like you're just trying to be sure you're not missing something etc. I'd try a Chevy dealership and just say, "hey I was nearby and man I keep hearing this noise." Call Buick Customer Care in the meantime.
I knew not to tell any of the dealerships we tried what exactly was going on with the selling dealerships….primarily because I know they all need each other when attempting to do a trade to get a buyer what they want if they themselves don’t have it on their lot. So I didn‘t tell them anything other than the selling dealership was a further drive away (which is true) so I wanted to have it checked closer to home to avoid the extra miles until/unless I needed to go back to the selling dealership. Part of the dead giveaway that it was super brand new is because it didn’t have the plate on it yet (couldn’t put the plate on until this past Friday after the tag transfer was complete). That alone was enough for them to say I need to take it to the selling dealer because they didn’t want to get caught in the middle of anything.

I’m waiting to hear back from GM. Thankfully, I haven’t noticed any other issues on mine but mine was literally delivered to the dealership 2 days before I bought it (had been tracking inventory and in-transit status at a few places) so I don’t know if that played any part in it not having any rush job looks to it (at least on the surface). Unlike some of the earlier builds that don’t have the power 3rd row or heated steering wheel mine does. It is missing the heated/ventilated front cushions although the back part works. And it’s missing the front and rear park assist (although it appears to be semi functional) but those items are all retrofit eligible unlike some of the early builds I looked at just scrapping those items altogether and giving more of a “discount” to those buyers that got those. The only stretched part (and I think it’s more thin than stretched) is the cover for the moonroof where you can see a little light attempt to peak through….like tiny dots as you would through a thin material if that makes sense.

I absolutely know what it’s like to deal with a terrible dealership. It’s why my last Nissan was intentionally purchased out of my city even though the one here is the largest in the region and is where you will fine virtually any color/configuration/etc you could possibly want. But once they sold to a new owner things went down hill fast. And like I said initially, I only chose the Buick dealership that I did because they were the only ones in a reasonable driving distance that had some choices other than 1 or 2 white Essence models and if lucky one white Avenir. Otherwise I would have went local or to the one my mother purchased her 2019 from (about 40 miles away…actually seeing distance from the Nissan I got my last car from). I will try going by a Chevy dealership also though but it will have to be one that isn’t in my city because the Chevy here shares the same service center as Buick (same ownership and all of their brands are in the same huge “auto mall”).

Reactions: 5Demons

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a 2021 Enclave Avenir with 24,000 miles. It has 20 inch Continental Eco Plus tires. It’s very quiet on most highways, but there are some pavement surfaces that are a quite a bit louder.
Same tires and that’s the kind of experience I would expect. Louder on some surfaces….especially the concrete portions of highway with the lines that need to be redone but never are 😂. Or the parts that have been patched so much instead of redone that it’s like riding over constant bumps for awhile.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I knew not to tell any of the dealerships we tried what exactly was going on with the selling dealerships….primarily because I know they all need each other when attempting to do a trade to get a buyer what they want if they themselves don’t have it on their lot. So I didn‘t tell them anything other than the selling dealership was a further drive away (which is true) so I wanted to have it checked closer to home to avoid the extra miles until/unless I needed to go back to the selling dealership. Part of the dead giveaway that it was super brand new is because it didn’t have the plate on it yet (couldn’t put the plate on until this past Friday after the tag transfer was complete). That alone was enough for them to say I need to take it to the selling dealer because they didn’t want to get caught in the middle of anything.

I’m waiting to hear back from GM. Thankfully, I haven’t noticed any other issues on mine but mine was literally delivered to the dealership 2 days before I bought it (had been tracking inventory and in-transit status at a few places) so I don’t know if that played any part in it not having any rush job looks to it (at least on the surface). Unlike some of the earlier builds that don’t have the power 3rd row or heated steering wheel mine does. It is missing the heated/ventilated front cushions although the back part works. And it’s missing the front and rear park assist (although it appears to be semi functional) but those items are all retrofit eligible unlike some of the early builds I looked at just scrapping those items altogether and giving more of a “discount” to those buyers that got those. The only stretched part (and I think it’s more thin than stretched) is the cover for the moonroof where you can see a little light attempt to peak through….like tiny dots as you would through a thin material if that makes sense.

I absolutely know what it’s like to deal with a terrible dealership. It’s why my last Nissan was intentionally purchased out of my city even though the one here is the largest in the region and is where you will fine virtually any color/configuration/etc you could possibly want. But once they sold to a new owner things went down hill fast. And like I said initially, I only chose the Buick dealership that I did because they were the only ones in a reasonable driving distance that had some choices other than 1 or 2 white Essence models and if lucky one white Avenir. Otherwise I would have went local or to the one my mother purchased her 2019 from (about 40 miles away…actually seeing distance from the Nissan I got my last car from). I will try going by a Chevy dealership also though but it will have to be one that isn’t in my city because the Chevy here shares the same service center as Buick (same ownership and all of their brands are in the same huge “auto mall”).
The sunshade is supposed to look like that. It did in our '18, it does in my dad in laws '20. I'm just happy it's powered now. The old design had a clip that was prone to breaking. It's the same clip that's up front. Wish that 1 was powered too.

We go to my local Chevy dealership for minor stuff for both our Buick's and they stopped asking why we don't go to the Buick dealership. My acct has a note now. 😂 I know all about dealing with monopoly dealerships and we actively avoid those places anymore.

We had a Avenir reserved elsewhere an hour + south of us. But when we were north of us we saw an Avenir at another dealership. Same colors etc. Ours needs retrofitted for the front sensors and the 2nd row heated seats. It just missed the cut off where they had more rolling out with those features installed. I'm unaware of any other retrofits that are needed for other trims. Other than the few minor flaws that most people won't notice, we're extremely satisfied. It's our 2nd car bought from that dealership, bought a '16 LaCrosse ST there in March '21, then this one in April '22. They gave us a fabulous trade in value on our '18. I hope they're still this good when we trade in our '22. I just wish they were closer to us for service.

Just keep on corporate about the noise and hopefully it works in your favor. 🤞🏻

Reactions: Kaebfly
1 - 20 of 24 Posts