EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Re: Get or order your Lambda now? - Lansing plant may go on Strike in Sept.

lawd have mercy,

what in the world is going on at gm... are we going to be able to get our cars or what? some items wanted will not even be available until august early september. this makes no sense. they stay on strike when do they work? why is it always the american car plants on strike? what is this strike about this time?

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

in the words of flo from good times...... ****, ****, ****

·
Registered
148 Posts

How much clout does the UAW have anymore? GM is on the verge of bankruptcy. Yes I know, they have built some winners lately. However, with the retirement pensions, healthcare, and the fact that a lot of their product line outside the Lambdas is still crap, one would think the UAW would shut their trap and hope that GM gets back on track. There are a lot of big time investors out there that believe GM might not be able to turn it around.

·
Registered
444 Posts

I work at LDT and have been involved with my local union for over 20 years now. I can tell you in NO uncertain terms that this is the most business savvy UAW team I have ever seen. We know for a fact that the success of GM means our success as well.

And besides, issues like pay, health care and pensions are negotiated by the international union with corporate management not at the plant level.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts

thanks don for your intelligent insight. fenwah must be having a bad day. :sosad:

·
Registered
129 Posts

I have been reading the posts on this site daily. And I must say that I am getting disheartened. We have been waiting to test drive an Enclave before making our new vehicle purchase. We will be purchasing "something" in the next 4-6 weeks. Our local dealer tells me they can't tell for sure when they will get their "first" Enclave in. I've been checking several dealers web sites and they have had at least 1 or 2 Enclaves in stock but sold quickly. We were able to stop and look at two Enclaves while down state on a trip a few weeks ago. My wife and I were very impressed. WELL, I am beginning to think that we will be taking a look at some alternative vehicles......NOT what I had planned. I see the Toyota Highlander has been redesigned (larger and better looking) and will be coming out in July. I bet Toyota will have them at the dealers and won't be going on strike.........

·
Registered
743 Posts

Fenwah, obviously you are Non Union. If UAW left it up to the Non Union people to make the decisions that affect them, they wouldn't be able to afford the very vehicles they're building. :banghead:
As bad as I want my Enclave...UAW, do what you have to do. Go UAW :blob:
No, I'm not UAW, but I'm Pro Union.
If it wasn't for Organizations such as the UAW and others, we all will be starring at 3rd World Wages.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

rocketman said:
If it wasn't for Organizations such as the UAW and others, we all will be starring at 3rd World Wages.
If you have the necessary skill set you will always be in demand from employers. You have to look at your self and ask what you can do to make yourself more marketable. A career is an evolutionary process. I personally feel that unions artificially inflate wages for it's members. If you can not go somewhere else and make the same money, you are probably overpaid. My unsolicited $0.02.

·
Registered
147 Posts

juglake said:
We have been waiting to test drive an Enclave before making our new vehicle purchase. We will be purchasing "something" in the next 4-6 weeks..... We were able to stop and look at two Enclaves while down state on a trip a few weeks ago. My wife and I were very impressed....I bet Toyota will have them at the dealers and won't be going on strike.........
Why not just go to buick.com and do a "locate vehicle" search for the Enclave? That should tell you where there are dealers that have one. Then you can call them to make sure they've got one that you can drive and then go and test drive it. You don't have to buy from the place where you test drive it.

We looked at the Highlander a few years ago. I'm sure it's still a fine vehicle in its own right but I don't think it can realistically be compared to an Enclave.

·
Registered
39 Posts

zman said:
If you have the necessary skill set you will always be in demand from employers. You have to look at your self and ask what you can do to make yourself more marketable. A career is an evolutionary process. I personally feel that unions artificially inflate wages for it's members. If you can not go somewhere else and make the same money, you are probably overpaid. My unsolicited $0.02.
Unfortunately in todays corporate world this is no longer the rule. Few companies offer wage and benefit packages that allow non management workers to keep up with inflation. The bottom line has become the most important thing. I find it amazing that a company will fight union efforts saying it will hurt competition and profitability and then turn around and offer obscene packages to its management team ($250 million severance package to the CEO of Home Depot).

Lets not forget that unions brought us the 8 hour day, 40 hour work week, paid holidays, overtime pay, health insurance etc. Most companies care little about there workers and yes some unions and their leaders get carried away but I believe that by supporting unions we support all workers.

·
Registered
743 Posts

Zman, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but just look around.......all the people that had these marketable skills, loyal employees, approaching retirement, some Union, some not, Then because of greed, the Jobs close down and goes to a 3rd world Country, paying a few cents per hour....in the meantime, that loyal employee back in the States now unemployed, skilled but can't find work...and I could go on. The CEO's and leaders of the Companies are enjoying Fat Bonuses and living the good life after helping to facilitate the relocation of the Companies.
You might be fortunate enough to have a nice job, but if you live close to large Metro area's just look around. I believe you will see a little of what I'm talking about.
I'm not trying to make this Forum personal or anything, but I think the Unions have been an asset for this Country, the Products, and the Businesses that was Spawned from the Products and the affected families.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts

I think the balanace has to be there from both sides, so the big guns do not take advantage of the workers and the union doesn't abuse its power of striking whenever possible.

Just this morning I heard that Carlos Ghosn (CEO of Nissan) is cutting Executive bonuses since the company didn't meet the target/expectations. I hope others will learn the lesson of not bitting the hand that feeds them, i.e, cutting the jobs to keep their luxuries.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

I think we all have valid view points regarding this and the true reality is probably somewhere in between all of our personal realities. Some of my issues may not be directly related to unions, but more economy/career related in general. While unions may be/may have been necesssary at one point I think a few things are worth pointing out:

1) I don't know how any one can expect companies like GM to be competitive with companies such as Toyota and Honda when they are at a what, $1500-$2000 price disadvantage simply due to retiree benefits? Not an insignifcant portion of this is union benefits. People will complain about GM interiors, features, etc but that money has to come from some where and unfortunately vehicle features are one of them. We can not have it both ways.

2) Another sad truth is that the shareholders own a company, not the employees. Companies are in the business to make money for shareholders. Look at the airlines, it does not do anyone any good if a company cannot afford it's labor structure. Salary is not an entitlement program.

3) I do take issue with attitudes that companies owe you a living. I see people being laid off and they have the attitude of "I gave them X years of my life..." Well you were also collecting a paycheck over those years so it is not like you were doing charity work.

I am not trying to sound like a hard *ss here, but I believe in personal accountability. People are too quick to take on a victim mentality. My first job out of college was for a defense contractor. In my 9 years of employment our payroll went from 8,000 people to less than 2,000. Fortunately, I got out on my own terms. But I got out because I positioned myself for skills that other employers wanted, plus I went back and got my masters degree. I think having that miserable experience while young in life formed many of my attitudes. I will do everything in my power to never end up like many of those people I saw forced out of that first company.

The truth is that in todays market there is no longer lifetime employment. People need to acknowledge that and do what they need to do to make sure they are keeping a current skill set.

I have tried to write this without any implied tone or attitude, so please don't read anything into the words I have chosen.

Peace.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts

admin, can we lock this subject please?

·
Registered
148 Posts

rocketman said:
Fenwah, obviously you are Non Union. If UAW left it up to the Non Union people to make the decisions that affect them, they wouldn't be able to afford the very vehicles they're building. :banghead:
As bad as I want my Enclave...UAW, do what you have to do. Go UAW :blob:
No, I'm not UAW, but I'm Pro Union.
I used to work at the RenCen at GM HQs in Detroit back in the mid and late 90s as an EDS contractor doing software development for several software programs for dealerships. I was obvioulsy in a business setting where there were only a small percentage of the workers were union (e.g. janitors, people who move a PC to a different location). All I know is my own personal experience...seeing janitors who were making $70k a year doing about two hours of work...seeing them playing cards with other union members for most of the day, waiting two weeks to get a new monitor up to me since my old one was broke. True story...I spoke to the GM (non-union) people in charge of handing out new equipment. The monitor was ready for delivery (was on the 3rd floor I believe) after 3 hours of putting in my official request. It took the union boys 9 business days to get it up to me on the 21st floor. Were they overworked? Not according to the people in charge of handing out new equipment. I could have picked up the monitor on my own...taken the elevator back up to my office and plugged the **** thing in. But if I did that, I would have been written up for doing a union member's job.

I got so frustrated, that I ended up temporarily taking a PC monitor from a woman on maternity leave so I could get my work done. Fast forward through those two weeks...the union guy drops off my monitor, and then calls his union boss to write me up for moving a monitor three cubes over. So, I got written up for doing that. The alternative was for me to just sit at my desk and twirl my thumbs. My company and I would still have gotten paid from GM...even though I was unable to do any work. I didn't think that was fair to GM to pay me for not doing any work...so I did what I did.

So yes, my opinion on union workers sucks. I know that there are hard working union workers out there. I just haven't come across any in my line of work.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

MsS42 said:
admin, can we lock this subject please?
Why??

We may be a little off track but admin can always ask us to get back on track, which we probably should. If you don't like reading it, maybe you should move on rather than asking it to be locked down.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts

I think coopermine put it best when he used the word balance. The unions exist for a reason. But these days, unions have too much power. (IMHO) Unproductive employees are protected by their union membership. It’s bad for companies and bad for employees. I think everyone would benefit if the unions backed off a bit and demanded more personal accountability from their members.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts

zman said:
Why??

We may be a little off track but admin can always ask us to get back on track, which we probably should. If you don't like reading it, maybe you should move on rather than asking it to be locked down.
the fact is that gm is not going on strike and others who are not members and are reading this thread are getting discouraged because this topic keeps popping up as it has been noted by some new members. if you guys want to discuss the unions perhaps you should start a more appropriate thread such as unions or something to that effect as not to keep giving mention to the subject of this thread.

obvisouly, there is no need to get mean and nasty remember you are not the only ones reading these posts. i on the other hand could careless about this thread but it is a very misleading thread since we all know that gm is not going on strike. now, since we all come here to get as close to accurate information as possible is why i asked for this particular thread to be locked. this is my computer and my eyes and i can read whatever i want. i opened it thinking that there was info on a strike and here it is people arguing about unions and its workers. give us a break and put this in the proper thread.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

MsS42 said:
this is my computer and my eyes and i can read whatever i want.
Exactly, and you have the option of passing by the posts also. Keep in mind that this is a public forum, it does not reside on your computer.

I'll make certain to also keep you on topic moving forward.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts