EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Enclave Premium AWD Dark Slate Metallic
219 Posts
From what i understand the 88 has 15% ethanol. More than these motors are meant to have. 10% is all Im willing to use in my cars. The environmentalist like it a lot.

·
Registered
410 Posts
88 is unleaded gas with no ethanol at all thus the improvement in fuel economy and primarily used in boat engines, lawn equipment and cannot be used in high compression vehicles (Corvettes) or turbo or supercharged engines.

·
Registered
463 Posts
88 is unleaded gas with no ethanol at all thus the improvement in fuel economy and primarily used in boat engines, lawn equipment and cannot be used in high compression vehicles (Corvettes) or turbo or supercharged engines.

About Unleaded 88
Unleaded 88, also known as E15, is a fuel blend consisting of 15% ethanol and 85% gasoline.
The only difference in the makeup of Unleaded 88 and 87 is their percentage of ethanol. E15 contains 50% more ethanol than E10, or Unleaded 87, which is the most common fuel used in the country.
The difference in mileage between Unleaded 88 and 87 is undetectable. Studies show that ethanol’s impact on fuel economy is equal to the loss of energy density. This translates into a loss of less than 2% when compared to regular gasoline. For a vehicle getting 30 miles per gallon this would equal a drop to 29.4.
Automakers provide full warranties for Unleaded 88 for most new vehicles on the road.
More than 415 fuel stations in Minnesota offer Unleaded 88 biofuel to consumers. Look for the yellow 88 button at the pump.
Who can use it?
The EPA approves the use of Unleaded 88 in all gasoline and flex fuel vehicles 2001 and newer. That’s almost 9 out of 10 cars on the road today. The EPA estimates that over 90% of gasoline sold goes into model year 2001 and newer vehicles.
The EPA tested 86 vehicles, operated at up to 120,000 miles each using an industry-standard test cycle. The resulting Energy Department data showed no significant loss of vehicle performance.
Most auto manufacturers approve the use of Unleaded 88. If you drive a high-end car, check the manufacturer’s recommendation. Most high-end cars use only mid-grade or premium gas.
Chris Hawkey
I am a believer in Unleaded 88, and I love telling everyone I know that if you see the yellow 88 octane sticker at the pump, that is what you want in your vehicle.
– Chris Hawkey
If you use Unleaded 88 instead of the regular Unleaded 87 gasoline, nothing will happen to your car. The only difference is the octane rating. In fact, it will help the car to burn cleaner, reduce greenhouse effects, and reduce emissions.
Benefits of Unleaded 88
It’s good for your engine
Unleaded 88 burns cleaner and slower than regular unleaded gasoline. The higher-octane level helps boost horsepower and efficiency.
It’s good for the environment
Ethanol is a renewable biofuel. The ethanol in Unleaded 88 reduces carbon monoxide pollution and improves fuel octane. The higher octane rating burns cleaner, reducing toxins and improving air quality.
It’s good for your wallet
The ethanol in E15 keeps prices at the pump lower due to government ethanol subsidies. This means the higher the octane in a gas, the lower the price. The price of Unleaded 88 is usually a few cents lower than regular unleaded gasoline. This can add up over time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Higher octane alone does nothing to improve your car’s performance if it’s designed to run on 87. The ethanol might cause the exhaust gas to be cleaner, but ethanol has less energy than gasoline, so performance may suffer slightly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts