EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to this this forum I find myself spending a lot of time going from one topic to another about the same subject. On a handful of occasions I've been warned that topic hasn't been viewed for awhile and to start a new one. Hence, multiple topics. I don't know about the rest of you but when I try to retrace my steps I often can't find where I saw a particular post. Why do we need new topics?? Is it to keep page numbers down? To keep topics "fresh"?What's wrong with adding your two cents to a topic thay hasn't had a post for a while? This way all post are on same subject matter. Example: Cross Rails-they're probably 10 topics on this if you include bike racks, cargo boxes, etc. Another example, "Passenger Seat", there's probably 5 different topics covering the seat.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
I agree, and I try to find existing threads on a topic first by doing a site search. I have been know to resurrect some "old" threads for this very reason. I also have found it difficult to retrace my steps about a particular topic due to the redundancy of topics in multiple threads. I have tried to merge and clean up some of these threads when their content significantly overlaps. Sometimes, however, it causes confusion by merging old and new threads due to the disjointed order of the reply posts, so it is not always appropriate or ideal to merge overlapping threads.

I think that the best way to reduce the number of similar threads is to be diligent in performing a topic search before deciding if drafting a new thread if appropriate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gold, is it necessary to have that red letter warning that states topic hasn't been posted for so many days and to possibly start a new topic. Is this warning part of forum program-can't be changed? Do you know how many days/months go by before this warning pops up?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
The warning is issued when the last activity within a thread is more than 120 days. I am pretty sure that this is adjustable, and I will take up the matter with the Admin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Bruiser said:
Being new to this this forum I find myself spending a lot of time going from one topic to another about the same subject. On a handful of occasions I've been warned that topic hasn't been viewed for awhile and to start a new one. Hence, multiple topics. I don't know about the rest of you but when I try to retrace my steps I often can't find where I saw a particular post. Why do we need new topics?? Is it to keep page numbers down? To keep topics "fresh"?What's wrong with adding your two cents to a topic thay hasn't had a post for a while? This way all post are on same subject matter. Example: Cross Rails-they're probably 10 topics on this if you include bike racks, cargo boxes, etc. Another example, "Passenger Seat", there's probably 5 different topics covering the seat.
Welcome to any discussion forum on the internet. People either don't know how or just are too lazy to use the search features. This is why stickys exist for the commonly asked stuff. Lo and behold some folks still frequently ask the question when all they have to do is look at the sticky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,405 Posts
:-\ I try and dig up an old post/thread before I respond to a problem which may have occurred previously. I may not always succeed though. :)


Then again I am always known to take a thread off topic....to which I am seriously sorry when that happens. It is just that....I get so....interested in one thing someone may say in a thread that isn't quite exactly what the initial subject was. Guess it is my inner desire to know as much as possible and to learn as much as possible from everyone I meet, whether in person or here. :angel:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
Was this topic really necessary? ;) :happy: (just kidding)

I am on another forum about motorhomes that has one topic that has grown to over 400 pages. It is a bit daunting for a newbie to wade through hundreds of pages and then to try to find a specific item within that later on. As long as we can stay on topic, I see no need to limit the thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,825 Posts
sofiazoe said:
Redundancy of topics in multiple threads. I have tried to merge and clean up some of these threads when their content significantly overlaps................ :)
Who are you? You are not one of the moderators....how did you "merge and clean up" any threads here? Only GoldEnclave and MrBuick can do this.

sofiazoe said:
niceeeeeeeeeeee......... :)
What does this mean? (Or rather, what is it referring to)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,454 Posts
sofoazoe seems to be one of those that opens accts- to try to include spam in their screenname info
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,825 Posts
rbarrios said:
sofoazoe seems to be one of those that opens accts- to try to include spam in their screenname info
:mad: Kick 'em off.....I hate spammers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Newbie here and this is a great forum because of the people.

Since we are on the topic of old posts may, I suggest items in the For Sale section expire after a certain amount of time? Maybe 90 days? Works well on other forums and if the item or vehicle is still for sale the seller can repost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Paul K. said:
Newbie here and this is a great forum because of the people.

Since we are on the topic of old posts may, I suggest items in the For Sale section expire after a certain amount of time? Maybe 90 days? Works well on other forums and if the item or vehicle is still for sale the seller can repost.
I agree, after 30 days for sale ads expire, that is how other sites do it.
Free ads don't mean you just list and forget.

It keeps the site cleaner, many sellers don't delete when sold, etc.
A big time waster for those looking.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
Gogetter
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing
Top