EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many have been receiving a notice that this is an unsafe website? Since late yesterday when I try and log in I get a bright red screen warning that this site is unsafe.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I saw that (or similar) warning once several weeks ago. Out of an abundance of caution, I ran an antivirus/anti-spyware/anti-malware scan on my device, which found nothing awry. I reattempted opening this website, and I've not seen this warning again since. Ultimately, I'm not sure what's going on, but it's not stopping me from enjoying this website. ;)

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I saw that (or similar) warning once several weeks ago. Out of an abundance of caution, I ran an antivirus/anti-spyware/anti-malware scan on my device, which found nothing awry. I reattempted opening this website, and I've not seen this warning again since. Ultimately, I'm not sure what's going on, but it's not stopping me from enjoying this website. ;)
No, but you just paid for the new TV I just bought. Thanks Gold!

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Not me.... Everything is running fine from my browser.

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just changed my password just in case.

Thanks for the information small batch.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plus I changed my password on the other forums, Acadia, Equinox, Saturn and Traverse. Seeing as how I am a moderator on three of those 4, thought it was wise to do so.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Very interesting!

Sadly, there is no way to hackproof any internet site or networks. The days of pencil and paper seem more appealing to me every day. PenPals, anyone?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I've gotten these messages on several of the websites that I frequent.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
BadAV said:
I've gotten these messages on several of the websites that I frequent.
The Toyota forum I follow sent out the email notice about all passwords being erased and new ones needing to be set up. Reading the comments, it sounded like certain boards that were affected were using this software.

It's because they are using vulnerable forum software. vbulletin is no longer supported reliably, the "writers" of it are no where to be found.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ls973800 said:
The Toyota forum I follow sent out the email notice about all passwords being erased and new ones needing to be set up. Reading the comments, it sounded like certain boards that were affected were using this software.

It's because they are using vulnerable forum software. vbulletin is no longer supported reliably, the "writers" of it are no where to be found.
I received an email Thursday, I didn't check my emails until this morning, from the Infiniti Q50 forum I started to follow. They had reset my password I presume for the same reason. Just finished logging in and setting up a new one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If everyone seeing the warning are seeing the same red one posted above then it's really nothing to worry about.The warning is generated by Microsoft's SmartScreen Filter. I suspect that the folks seeing this are using a computer running something prior to Windows 10 and using Internet Explorer 9-10. There is a setting in Internet Explorer under Tools>SmartScreen Filter that allow you to toggle it on and off, check a web site or report a web site to MS.

Here is a exert from MS about how it works:

"Internet Explorer displays this message when a suspicious website has some of the typical characteristics of an unsafe website, but is not on the list of reported unsafe websites. The website might be legitimate, but you should be cautious about entering any personal or financial information unless you are certain that the site is trustworthy. You can help Microsoft evaluate this website by providing appropriate feedback using the links provided in the message."

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/smartscreen-filter-faq#1TC=windows-7

I suspect this warning is the result of the forum admin using something like Adsense or MediaNet to display the ads we see while in the forum. The little ads are created by JavaScript code in most cases that redirects you to a site serving up the ads when you click on or mouse over one. While that is not malicious in itself and nearly every website nowadays displays some sort of ads using this method, Microsoft is very bad about not knowing the difference between a benign ad redirect and a malicious redirect.

The key thing to remember about visiting most forums are they just aren't very secure. 90% of forums are powered by Vbulletin or Simple Machine scripts and yes, they are vulnerable to attacks but to enjoy your favorite forum, it's something we have to live with. The important thing to remember is to Never Post sensitive personal or financial in formation in the forum or in a PM within the forum. If you need to send someone here some sensitive info, do it out side the forum using your regular email service. That is must safer.

Bottom line, if you trust a website but are still concerned go ahead and change your password. Keep in mind however, if someone could "hack" your old password, they can "hack" your new one so use common sense when visiting places like this and don't display any sensitive info or something you don't want to whole world to see and you should be just fine. If someone managed to "hack" my account here, they would not gain anything financially and other than possibly interrupting me or posting something crazy under my name there really isn't any point in it but some people will try to do things like that just for bragging rights or to in instill a level of fear in us.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Milton B I am using Windows 10. My system upgraded from 8 to 10 about a month ago in the middle of the night.

I also am using their internet version of "Microsoft Edge". Reason was the Internet Explorer with the Microsoft Windows 10 was too darn unstable and keep locking up on me.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just tried to logon using Windows 10 Edge and I got the Red Screen, but when I access this site using, don"t laugh, AOL on the same PC i don't get it. I normally stay logged on FOREVER, so I tried logging off and on and everything was OK

·
Registered
62 Posts
My apologies. I guess I am not as up to date on Windows as I thought. It appears Windows 10 and the Edge browser also support Microsoft's, SmartsSreen. I sure didn't know that :-[
Again, the bottom line is use common sense. Something changed very recently and that is why I suspected admin is using new ads and the ads are triggering that warning. As far as I am concerned, this forum is as safe as it ever was, and I am sure we will all continue to use it.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What ever was the problem appears to have vanished.

Just signed on and no red screen warning appeared.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I saw the warning only once. It was several weeks ago. I think that I was on my smartphone at the time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
For what it is worth, I use an add tracking blocker program called Ghostery that has cut my pop-up add programs way down. There are several such programs available and most do a fair job of stopping the clutter. On the Acadia forum there are currently 16 tracking cookies being blocked that could track my interests or direct add to my browser.

The link if you want to see what it is about:

https://www.ghostery.com/?nr

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
17 Participants
Tonny25
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing