EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it is mis-guided. This negative review is surely in the minority.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The author is an idiot. The CX-9 does not even have a trip odometer. The marketplace is showing that the Enclave is a more popular vehicle even though the the Enclave is more money comparing fully loaded models.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As far as reviews go, I viewed this as very positive. He talked up the guts of the vehicle and did acknowledge that the trans problems have been corrected. His negatives were on very superficial aspects such as
"Storage isn't quite what you want. There's no handy spot for the headphones that accompany the rear-seat video system, for instance. And the center console in front isn't commodious."

He summed his review up with "sign the check" which to me says the Enclave is a winner![/color]

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
My comments as posted to Mr. Healey:

So, how much did Mazda (or for that matter, GMC/Saturn salesmen) pay you for this review? Your review is extremely subjective and VERY unprofessional for a journalist. To prove my point, your review is FAR out of step from DOZENS of other auto journalists who give the Enclave the highest review ratings BY FAR of the GM lambda trio. Some facts to contradict your complaints:

1) You constantly complained about rear visibility, but never ONCE commented on the excellent rear view camera setup which others have called the best in the industry!

2) Styling? A COMPLETELY subjective review and FAR off base from what an overwhelming majority of others think. If you like "square boxes" so much, I'll bet you gave the Honda Element and Scion xBox "two thumbs up" for styling.

3) Fuel Mileage average of 14.4 mpg? Huh? Hop on over to the Enclave forum and you will find that EVERYONE who actually owns an Enclave averages between 16 and 24 mpg, and some have even reported 26+ mpg on highway trips. I seriously doubt your truthfullness in this statistic, and it is the most telling part of your article that makes me seriously doubt your other "facts".

4) Interior storage for headphones as a MAJOR complaint?!?! Get real, and you COMPLETELY forgot to mention that a second row console is an option on the vehicle, so if your so all fired worried about storage, then buy this option.

5) Transmission: This was a valid issue with many early owners, and GM has stepped up to the plate with a VERY agressive campaign to revise the transmission shifting algorithm, to address the issues while still keeping fuel economy "best in class". I have driven both versions, and the update is a DEFINITE improvement. However, even before the update, I just don't buy your "overly dramatic" comments about the transmission dynamics. I have driven a rented Saturn Outlook (without the update) for several hundred miles in hilly terrain and while "slightly annoying" I NEVER experienced any serious issues with the way the transmission shifted. Very comparable to other "drive by wire" transmissions on newer cars that I have driven.

With everything said above, I give you two thumbs down as a trustworthy automotive reviewer. You obviously either have too much biased love for imports (a common character flaw these days) or your automotive styling opinions are so far biased towards "bland and boring" that you have no business writing "objective" automotive reviews!

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
ccaats
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Thanks Mr. Buick.....3 Thumbs Up......I like that ;D

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I read the other comments to his review and most pretty much agreed with you, but no one said it better.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I was thinking of other fingers but could not find the symbol.......

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
You do wonder sometimes when you read these reviews that are so far off the norm...Maybe there is a little side action as suggested, but there is also a pre-determined bias when reviewing certain brands I think. If I ever get my Enclave (June 12th order), it will be the first "American made" car I have owned since 1977. It took a car of this quality to even get me to consider a GM product, but there was no doubt about the choice once I was in it. Driving my Pilot as I wait for my Enclave is just painful. So I think sometimes just the brand, in this case Buick, which to be honest is not the division one thinks of when thinking SUV and truck, makes the reviewer judge it more harshly than a brand with say a better or longer track record. We all know he was way off the mark. Look at Dan Jedlicka's review on MSN auto. He loves the Enclave, but complains about the location of the cup holder...is that really what is important? Then he goes on to say it is the best of the 3 Lamda vehicles and gives it a 7/10 when he gave the Outlook an 8/10. That is real consistent. I think time will tell us who is right. To be honest we all still have to wait to see if the initial quality of the Enclave holds up with time. I know that is my only worry. TGIF :beer:

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
ccaats, I'm really starting to worry about you. We need to get you involved in yoga or meditation so you don't give yourself a heart attack. :angel:

He did get one thing right when he stated "reasonable people often disagree on matters of taste."

·
Registered
154 Posts
Okay, well...

I LOVE my Enclave -- but I do have a love hate relationship with its butt, and the 3rd row windows...Some of the time I look at them I just don't like the shape -- so I can totally understand his point there (he says several times that that is just a matter of style choice)...you all have to admit, that it is a very different looking car, so somebody not digging the style is not that out of line....

Additionally, I get pretty bad gas mileage -- I am talking 12 miles to the gallon on my commute...So, I have to agree with him there too...

I hear lots of people mention visability issues - I have none, but this has been mentioned before by people here...so that is somewhat of a valid complaint -- while the rear view back up camera helps backing up, it doesn't really help while you are actually on the road changing lanes...

And, I agree with RockFish -- it is pretty postive if you actually read it -- it basically says that the Lamdas are a good choice, but he prefers the more square styling of the Outlook and Acadia....

Just my 2 cents...

Lisa - Who really does love her Enclave

·
Registered
86 Posts
ccaats said:
My comments as posted to Mr. Healey:

So, how much did Mazda (or for that matter, GMC/Saturn salesmen) pay you for this review? Your review is extremely subjective and VERY unprofessional for a journalist. To prove my point, your review is FAR out of step from DOZENS of other auto journalists who give the Enclave the highest review ratings BY FAR of the GM lambda trio. Some facts to contradict your complaints:

1) You constantly complained about rear visibility, but never ONCE commented on the excellent rear view camera setup which others have called the best in the industry!

2) Styling? A COMPLETELY subjective review and FAR off base from what an overwhelming majority of others think. If you like "square boxes" so much, I'll bet you gave the Honda Element and Scion xBox "two thumbs up" for styling.

3) Fuel Mileage average of 14.4 mpg? Huh? Hop on over to the Enclave forum and you will find that EVERYONE who actually owns an Enclave averages between 16 and 24 mpg, and some have even reported 26+ mpg on highway trips. I seriously doubt your truthfullness in this statistic, and it is the most telling part of your article that makes me seriously doubt your other "facts".

4) Interior storage for headphones as a MAJOR complaint?!?! Get real, and you COMPLETELY forgot to mention that a second row console is an option on the vehicle, so if your so all fired worried about storage, then buy this option.

5) Transmission: This was a valid issue with many early owners, and GM has stepped up to the plate with a VERY agressive campaign to revise the transmission shifting algorithm, to address the issues while still keeping fuel economy "best in class". I have driven both versions, and the update is a DEFINITE improvement. However, even before the update, I just don't buy your "overly dramatic" comments about the transmission dynamics. I have driven a rented Saturn Outlook (without the update) for several hundred miles in hilly terrain and while "slightly annoying" I NEVER experienced any serious issues with the way the transmission shifted. Very comparable to other "drive by wire" transmissions on newer cars that I have driven.

With everything said above, I give you two thumbs down as a trustworthy automotive reviewer. You obviously either have too much biased love for imports (a common character flaw these days) or your automotive styling opinions are so far biased towards "bland and boring" that you have no business writing "objective" automotive reviews!
If members here cannot take a less than glowing review in stride, this forum will turn into a homer-only community. I did not agree with the review on the whole, but unprofessional? This review was not unprofessional, plain and simple. Auto reviews are opinion based and Healy notes that with the styling comment. And most of the reviewers comments are true.

1. The Enclave does have poor rear visibility with or without the camera.
2. Styling is personal preference. The reviewer noted as much. And all reviewers comment on styling with their personal take on it.
3. Fuel mileage. The reviewer went above and beyond even contacting GM to see if there was any issue with the test vehicle. And I have seen my MPG go down after getting the transmission update.
4. I do not see storage as an issue and take issue with Healy's comment on the center console. I wonder if he is aware of the hidden storage. But, he can certainly present his opinion as someone who drives and reviews cars for a living.
5. Defending the transmission? It is a well documented issue. He notes it. And the reprogram is better but still has room for improvement.

We enjoy our Enclave, but lets not kid ourselves here that it is perfect. The Enclave is not perfect and reviews, comments, feedback will help GM get it closer to perfect going forward.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys remember a reviewer must pick on something in a test drive since no vehicle is perfect for everyone. If a company tries to be "liked" by everyone you end up buying a boring Toyota.
I agree with Lisaoleary - let's not turn this into a homer. I have seen this occur on other forums and it quickly turns off conversation since anyone without glowing words is immediate pounced on by a few others. Of course we have to be aware of TROLLS that just try to cause trouble.

Remember this reviewer said to buy the car!

As I am writing this post I hear Rush Limbaugh complementing the GMC Acadia on his show.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
If members here cannot take a less than glowing review in stride, this forum will turn into a homer-only community.
Ok, you got me......I AM an Enclave "homer" and proud of it. ;D Now if I could actually GET mine in (and pry enough seat time away from my wife to satisfy my lustings) then I would REALLLY be a Homer :clap:

Seriously though, I understand I was a "little" biased in my response....HOWEVER, it was very obvious that this guy was not an Enclave fan as soon as you read his first paragraph. It was so obvious in his article that he tried to find everything he thought was wrong with the vehicle, rather than present positives vs. negatives and let the reader decide. He failed to mention several of the Enclave's strong points. That you cannot deny.

On another note, I understand the slight frustration with the transmission, but I did say I have driven an Outlook with the old algorithms. As I said, while some of the shifting was "annoying", I really didn't get the feeling it was as horrible as others have made out. Just MY opinion and you are welcome to yours.....but then again we aren't being PAID to write what SHOULD be objective journalism.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
axiama said:
ccaats, I'm really starting to worry about you. We need to get you involved in yoga or meditation so you don't give yourself a heart attack. :angel
:

Funny axiama, my wife says the same thing ;D Aaaahhh, life as a "type A" personality.

·
Registered
86 Posts
ccaats said:
He failed to mention several of the Enclave's strong points. That you cannot deny.
He could have mentioned a few more positives, your right.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Remember reviews are opinions and opinions by their very nature are subjective. What you have to look for in a review are the facts used to draw conclusions, and that is what feeds you with the information you need to grow your own opinions. Once you own whatever is being reviewed, in this case the Enclave, you can draw your own conclusions. And so far, I've concluded I've made a good informed choice. I have absolutely no regrets I bought the Enclave. Of course it's only a machine designed and built by mere mortals, but it suits me just fine. ;D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Most reviews of any Domestic vehicles are rarely ever good. When I first got my 2002 GMC Envoy XL, most reviews never mentioned the things that I loved about that truck. It had some issues for some, but I still have mine and it stills runs great and still looks showroom new. I took the article as a :thumb:. Oh, and what he really meant to say was it's one of the best crossovers out there, perhaps the best, but maybe he thought if he didn't whine about it a little ,his friends at his country club would laugh at him. (friends and strangers at mine love it!)

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Rockfish said:
As I am writing this post I hear Rush Limbaugh complementing the GMC Acadia on his show.
I heard Sean Hannity doing a voice over for the Enclave last week during his radio show. Seems like they're starting to mix up the marketing effort of the lambdas.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts