EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing valve cover gasket on 2011 enclave looks tight in back on passenger side with electric and power steering line directly over cover. Does anyone know if the power steering lines need to be removed before I get myself in any deeper thanks?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I see your question is 2 yrs old. I had difficulty finding answers to my questions for valve cover gasket replacements. I managed to do the front/left yesterday and it was a pain. I just couldn't get to the bolts easily, to remove the power steering reservoir bracket that is in the way. What I ended up doing was disconnecting the small power steering hose, (drained reservoir). Then I removed the 2 bolts holding the reservoir on the bracket. Then I lifted the reservoir out of the way and bent the bracket out of the way. It bent back easily. I'm sure there is an easier way to get the bracket off and out of the way but I couldn't get to the bolts easily. I'm leaving the power steering reservoir off and disconnected in order to lift the back power steering rigid line out of they way for removal of the back valve cover. I already modified my pcv valve by enlarging the holes. I'll have the back cover off later today and anticipate I'll find a bunch of gunk in there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just finished the back/right valve cover gasket today. It was also a pain because wiring harness barely lifts high enough to allow the valve cover to squeeze out of the space remaining. Then, putting the cover back on with new gasket was equally challenging because clearances were very tight underneath the wiring harness. I did leave the power steering reservoir empty and loose to move the rigid line in the back out of the way.

I thoroughly cleaned the pcv valve area and reset the modified pcv with larger holes. I am very hopeful now that oil will stop collecting in the spark plug tubes. It was ruining engine performance. The original spark plug tube gaskets and valve cover gasket had 138k miles on them so this service was overdue. In hindsight I would have happily paid a shop $500 to do this job. But according to Repairpal.com, for both gaskets, this is more like a $1100 job...and now I know why. While I was at it, I replaced plugs and coils too.

I also replaced the air intake gasket under the intake manifold. Bonus, check engine lights turned off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts