EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my Venture Shield applied today on my WDT. I learned of the product from this forum and after finding a few nicks already on my lower bumper (after only 3 weeks on the road!) I decided to have it applied. Cost: $640. I thought I would share some photos and info to help anyone else who may be considering something like it. I am amazed at how unnoticeable the shield is. You really have to get pretty close up to see it. It is applied to the back of mirrors, hood, front quarter panels, front bumper, lower front bumper, and molding around wheel well at the front. I have added lots of photos to my gallery if anyone would like to see them, but here are a few closeups:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Looks great, but does the glue give out over time, especially after exposure to the sun's rays for years on end? Too, perhaps the clear plastic gets yellow over time? :help:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It comes with a lifetime warranty against yellowing, splitting, tearing or peeling. Also, if in 5 years it looks bad, I'll remove it and still have undamaged paint. I can always put another shield on easier than repainting the front end. :angel: Since we live here in New England the sand and gravel on roads is nasty. I'm hoping to avoid the pitting from the rocks and sand that chip away the paint. We went back and forth on the decision but when I went to wash away bugs (AGAIN!) I noticed a few dings already :banghead: ... that made up my mind quickly!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Who did you have install it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We had it installed by Protection Plus in Shrewsbury. Their website is http://www.protectyourpaint.com . Very nice, very knowledgeable. I went over the install with a fine tooth comb when I got home. I've never seen one up close before so I don't have anything to compare to, however, I am very impressed with the cleanliness of the install and the evenness of the lines and spacing. Bsox, I'm guessing you are in Mass?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
mmrekos said:
We had it installed by Protection Plus in Shrewsbury. Their website is http://www.protectyourpaint.com . Very nice, very knowledgeable. I went over the install with a fine tooth comb when I got home. I've never seen one up close before so I don't have anything to compare to, however, I am very impressed with the cleanliness of the install and the evenness of the lines and spacing. Bsox, I'm guessing you are in Mass?
No I'm not, common misunderstanding, nothing to do with the Red Sox. Thanks for the info. It looks great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what happens around these parts.... we like to think everyone reveres them as much as us and tend to look at everything through red sox nation goggles!!!! Glad to know I'm not the first to make that assumption on you :cheers:

Off topic totally... but I looked at your gallery - do you have Australian Shepherds? We are currently waiting for a pup from a litter at a local breeder and your dogs look like they are Aussies. Just curious...

·
Registered
721 Posts
mmrekos,

Looks great-thanks for the post. We use the Venture Shield at our dealerships too, and it's a great product. I just want to mention that our guys recommend (on WHITE cars only) that you wax the car at least quarterly, including the shield. You can just run it through the carwash and get the wax added. That helps protect against any possible discoloration, and they tell us it's only ever visible on white cars. Check your warranty card and see if it says anything about this.

Good luck and enjoy your new car!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Tralfaz said:
Looks great-thanks for the post. We use the Venture Shield at our dealerships too, and it's a great product. I just want to mention that our guys recommend (on WHITE cars only) that you wax the car at least quarterly, including the shield. You can just run it through the carwash and get the wax added. That helps protect against any possible discoloration, and they tell us it's only ever visible on white cars. Check your warranty card and see if it says anything about this.
Though that car wash run through mention made me cringe ;)...yes, you should always make sure to keep a proper coat of either wax or sealant on the whole vehicle, pure paint and clear sticker shield covered paint--just like you go over decals and other things regularly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much for the heads up and advice. My installer did explain to me the importance of waxing over the shield as well as the car. This is why I love this forum so much. There are so many great people with experience and great recommendations. :blob:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
mmrekos said:
That's what happens around these parts.... we like to think everyone reveres them as much as us and tend to look at everything through red sox nation goggles!!!! Glad to know I'm not the first to make that assumption on you :cheers:

Off topic totally... but I looked at your gallery - do you have Australian Shepherds? We are currently waiting for a pup from a litter at a local breeder and your dogs look like they are Aussies. Just curious...
Off topic:

Yes, I have two, but these are called miniature australian shepherds, their confirmation is identical as is the personality and smarts, but in a smaller package (less hair). My biggest weighs exactly 40 pounds and the other is 35. They come up to about my knees at their shoulders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For poor people like me, you can buy a generic version of the same stuff off ebay for like $25 and install it yourself. I put it on my corvette and my wife's sports car, and it works great. It would probably look better done by a pro (some of my edges aren't perfectly parallel to the body seams and I'm talking about 1/16th of an inch here or there), but I haven't met anyone yet who could tell I had it on there. I have had 3 or 4 people tell me I have a long scratch on my car (ie they can't tell the difference between the coated and uncoated side), but most people don't notice anything. The other advantage is if I ever want a completely clean car (my wife has driven her convertible in parades and stuff like that), I can pull it off and for $25 and 2 hours work I can put a new one on. You can also buy uncut material real cheap and add it to areas that need protection, like rocker panels, and the rear bumper, that don't have pre-cut patterns. It also make the car really easy to clean. Bugs on the front and tar on the side wipes right off. I will buy these for every car I own from now on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
dknaack said:
Looks great. Once ours comes in, I am thinking of having this done, along with the body moldings.
The Venture Shield looks great on your car. I am thinking of having mine done also. How long did the installation take? Did the warranty come from Venture Shield or from the people that did the installation? Did you buy the shield separately and have it installed or did the dealer procure the shield?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Went to their website and I was interested in the FAQ section that they don't require training. I think I'll ask now many the Des Moines area certified installer has done before ponying up the cash.

BB

·
Registered
26 Posts
blurrybill said:
Went to their website and I was interested in the FAQ section that they don't require training. I think I'll ask now many the Des Moines area certified installer has done before ponying up the cash.

BB
So howm much are they quoting the work for? They quoted me $799 over here in Utah. The original poster of this thread paid $640 in Connecticut. Is $799 a rip-off for the Shield and installation?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Since I don't have an Enclave as yet, I haven't actually called for a quote. I live around 40 miles away and the dealer locater shows only one certified installer of the product in the state. When/if we get a 2009, I'll call around even the twin cities, Omaha, etc. just to check price differences. The company says all someone needs is a software program that includes the various patterns (around $300), but a $2000-3000 machine that does the actual cutting.

It sounds like a good product; too good to be true? I read through their company tests, as well. Some gibberish, but appears to be a good product; they make comparisons with a similar 3M product. Check it out.

BB

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am having the 3M clear mask put on this coming Friday. I am having the full kit installed for $650. My husband had this same product applied to his car back in 2003 and it still looks great - no yellowing, peeling or anything. Here is the link from the company we are using: http://www.503motoring.com/clearmask/clearmask.php

Perhaps the $799 is for the full kit and all the other options?

·
Registered
56 Posts
mmrekos said:
I just had my Venture Shield applied today on my WDT. I learned of the product from this forum and after finding a few nicks already on my lower bumper (after only 3 weeks on the road!) I decided to have it applied. Cost: $640. I thought I would share some photos and info to help anyone else who may be considering something like it. I am amazed at how unnoticeable the shield is. You really have to get pretty close up to see it. It is applied to the back of mirrors, hood, front quarter panels, front bumper, lower front bumper, and molding around wheel well at the front. I have added lots of photos to my gallery if anyone would like to see them, but here are a few closeups:

Mmrekos I noticed you have the running boards installed...How have they been? I've heard that they can be a bit awkward....
Hoping to get a WDT CXL soon.......one coming into the lot next week........
Jawwco

·
Registered
161 Posts
badney said:
I am having the 3M clear mask put on this coming Friday. I am having the full kit installed for $650. My husband had this same product applied to his car back in 2003 and it still looks great - no yellowing, peeling or anything. Here is the link from the company we are using: http://www.503motoring.com/clearmask/clearmask.php

Perhaps the $799 is for the full kit and all the other options?
Saw this doing some google searching.......

http://www.stickercity.com/store/home.php?cat=3247

So bumper/mirrors/grill would run ~$250/$325 depending on VentureShield or 3M.
(anyone find it cheaper?)

So then the question is how much is someone willing to charge to install it,
assuming you didn't want to do this yourself.

m

1 - 20 of 46 Posts