EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an Enclave for six weeks now. I like the sound quality of the OnStar phone and I am a Verizon Wireless customer, but I have a few questions regarding using Verizon Wireless in the OnStar system:

1. How would this differ from Bluetooth? What I have now is a Bluetooth speaker that I have attached to the visor. I turn it on when I enter the car and sync it with my Blackberry
2. Would my OnStar phone number that I have now change to my Verizon Wireless number?
3. Would I have to sync my Blackberry with my OnStar everytime I am in the car?

I'd much rather use the OnStar phone than my little Bluetooth speaker. The sound quality is much better.

I know these are simple questions, but I can't seem to find the right answers.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I will try. You basically just add your Enclave to a family plan like you were adding a phone for someone in the family. It will get a new number assigned by Verizon. You won't have to sync anything and you would use it just like the Onstar phone, pushing the blue button or the one on the steering wheel. You just share minutes with the Enclave and you other phones. Some members talk about forwarding their calls from your own cell phone that is familiar to everyone to your Enclave number and then you can answer through your Enclave without having to give out a new number for everyone to learn. You just have to remember to undo it when you get out of your car or you will not receive calls or voice mails. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
In addition to bsox's good details, here's some more Blackberry/Bluetooth details....to your "simple questions"

You will have 2 phone #'s either way. EG; a Blackberry plus an OnStar ( the way you have now) or a Verizon cell phone, plus an Onstar-Verizon phone #. Once you have a Verizon cell phone, they let you "add a family member phone" (the Enclave !) at $9.95 a month and share the cheap minutes between them! (and as bsox said, you could forward all Blackberry calls to the Onstar # when in the Enclave, and enjoy answering them that way, if you wish. Be advised : outgoing calls made thru Onstar phones are not a BLOCKED NUMBER! Everyone you call out too will have the Enclaves phone #.( same as it does now!!) That's a big DISADVANTAGE for me, as I often make business calls from the Enclave and MUST then use my little AT&T cell phone. You can full or *67-on-demand, BLOCK a Verizon Cell# , when making outgoing calls, but only if using the little Cell phone itself, for the outgoing call. Not the Onstar phone, as it is a separate #. But, OnStar tells me they would make the call for you and BLOCK the #, on a per call basis! I will most likely go this way when getting a Verizon cell account one day. Good compromise for a private # call!

With the Blackberry , you can continue to sync it with the Bluetooth (which is really just a very fancy wireless speaker system) and still have your separate OnStar phone, as you do now, BUT this method results in very expensive Onstar minutes, purchased from Onstar, as you're NOT sharing the 2 numbers, as with a common Verizon plan. However your Bluetooth link allows inexpensively dialing/talking an outgoing call, thru Blackberry, with a private (undisclosed) # phone call, if desired. Onstar is always a revealed phone #.

You CANNOT sync your Onstar phone system speakers, to your Blackberry, or any other phone. You can always forward the Blackberry # to the Onstar phone #, and enjoy clear reception. But watch those Onstar minute costs!! If you had a Verizon cell #, they'd just share the cheaper minutes from Verizon. Till then..............

I have a great AT&T phone and I keep it separate from my Onstar phone # (like I have a choice?) and just forward the AT&T phone # to my Onstar # if I'm gonna be in the Enclave for a long while. I MUST remember to cancel that Forward command later, as Onstar phone does NOT take messages and I'd miss calls! Works for me, but I see Verizon in my future as I'm in a good reception area for both carriers! Then I can cheaply take/make calls, with my OnStar, (revealed #) to friends/family while driving. I'd still use the little cell, for private (non-revealed)# calls.

As you stand now, if you can accept the Bluetooth's performance, use it to take/make calls inexpensively, and keep some minutes in the Onstar phone acct, for a back-up/emergency phone only, as they cost too much from Onstar!

As long as GM owns Onstar, don't ever expect any Bluetooth compatibility. But the Verizon scheme works well for most. :thumb: Life used to be so simple...............

PS....to repeat, outgoing Onstar phone calls reveal your calling # in the Enclave, to the party called! If undesirable, press the blue Onstar button and THEY will make a blocked call for you!! No doubt the minutes come out of your minute bank. Be advised!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just had the CIG Vizualogic device hooked up to both my Enclaves this weekend and it is sweet. Automatically connect bluetooth wise when the vehice is turned on. You can answer incoming calls by enither busing the button, or answer on your phone. It automatically mutes the music just like the onstar device and can be used with any phone carrier. The person that installed it told me there is another device coming out by mid year that actually will show up caller id on the Navigation screen and allow you to have a phone key pad on the nav screen to dial out. With the CIG Bluetooth, it works exactly like the Onstar phone and even dials out with voice commands programmed into your phone.

Here is a link to the company website and you can find out if ther are any dealers near your vicinity.

http://www.vizualogic.com/cig_blue.html

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I've been reading here about the Vizual logic here and it seems to fill the need! I would consider it as you'll be able to cancel the Onstar phone, or just keep 30 minutes in the "bank" for an emergency (lost cell phone, etc). That's what I would do if this new device works as well as our fellow members indicate. OKc cowboy seems very happy with 2!! And using the Enclave's radio speakers is a great bene.

Once again, looks like our forum members have found a terrific alternative to OE!! :thumb:

·
Registered
379 Posts
I haven't gotten them yet. It is in the works for this month! :)

I was going to use the Parrot system, but I think the CIG BLUE looks like a nicer solution!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've seen a range of prices from $200-$300 for the device. I got a deal and he installed it in both our Enclaves for $300 each. He is in Southern California and can be reached at [email protected]. Mark is his name and he is very good and accomodating as he traveled to my home on a Saturday to install the devices so I would not have to drive both vehicles out of town. The devices are so sweet, it automatically connects to the phone bluetooth when the vehicle is started. My wife is loving it because when her phone is in her purse, she can simply push the button and it answers the phone. Also if you want to mute the phone, you can use the normal features on your phone. ;D

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Excellent. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Verizon and OnStar & Bluetooth

I was reading some of the posts written about bluetooth and I was really interested in installing it in my Enclave.

I'm looking for a bluetooth set for my Enclave. There were two options: Vizual Logic Blue tooth (www.vizuallogic.com) or Onstar

The vizual Logic idea looks great - but the issue of not being able to see who your calling kinda urks me (yes, I'm being picky, sorry). But from the post, it seems like something better is coming out, does anyone know if it has come out yet? I've looked at the vizual logic website and have not seen anything

The Onstar option - when I was looking at the cost of linking verizon and onstar, the cost of onstar (20 bucks a month) plus the additional line from verizon (10 bucks a month) would be like 30 bucks a month. I might as well just get the bluetooth option if that's the case.

I need some advise on this, please let me know what I should do about this bluetooth problem. Maybe there is something better out there that I don't know about. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
612 Posts
Two thoughts for vxo103's post above:

1. To get the $10 verizon deal you must already have one phone on verizon in the family. Otherwise it's much more

2. You are valuing OnStar at $0 per month. OnStar Safe & Sound will detect a collision of your vehicle and send help immediately for example. Tracking your stolen car is another great feature. All I'm trying to say is that OnStar is more than hands free calling

Good luck
And Welcome to EnclaveForum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for responding, I know Onstar has a lot of features to offer, but to be honest, I just want to hands free. I just wish they had a price just on that option.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The bluetooth option of Onstar will link with any bluetooth phone you have no matter what plan you might be on. It doesn't cost anything to use the bluetooth part of ONstar. Your ONstar plan doesn't even have to be current. If you already have a cell phone and have Onstar with bluetooth, you can pair it to your cell phone and you use the cell phone not any minutes that would come from Onstar and verizon (unless verizon happens to be your cell phone provider). Of course the bluetooth part of ONstar is only on the 2009 Enclave year.

RCH

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts